Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with ringo, look how fast it spreads and Vic is so much different to all other states geographically and population density wise, it's going to be the toughest state to lockdown, you drive three hours here, your the other side of state in Vic
Act most populated state , whilst 7 of Australia highest populated postcodes are in Sydney .
I don’t think population density is a significant reason for the latest position Victoria finds itself in .

Well roar the basics of the covid are the higher density of people the faster it spreads, comparing NSW to Vic is laughable, within 1.5 hours of Melbourne we have large populations of Geelong, bendigo, Ballarat, Macedon ranges, Traralgon, Warragul/drouin, where it can spread over the state fast, NSW is far larger where it is less likely to spread from Sydney to Coffs to Ballina, orange etc as fast.

Act most populated state , whilst 7 of Australia highest populated postcodes are in Sydney .
I don’t think population density is a significant reason for the latest position Victoria finds itself in .

Most country guys have to go elsewhere for work or study g, so alot of "locals" do big kms and travel to play for their home club, most clubs sides would be far weaker

Salient point there Trent - not every car full of Melbourne based blokes are all mercs - there’s a lot of blokes who just prefer getting home to play with mates...

Also, remember several ‘country’ leagues now sit on the urban fringe. Seymour isn’t miles away from the far northern suburbs of Melbourne, the peninsula league is still vcfl controlled (and has suburbs playing in it!), west gippy, ellinbank, outer east and the geelong comps all the same. As you reinforced in your post to roar also about the population spread of Melbourne and Vic more generally!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone see Open Mike on Fox tonight? Mick Gayfer was on. A very humble man, but interestingly he spoke of when he was sacked by Matthews in 1994 and went to play at Tatura under Paul Hawke. The deal was that he didn't want to tag anymore and just wanted to play CHB and take marks.

Hawke approached him early in the season prior to playing Tongala and more specifically a relatively younger Brendan Parker who was back from Carlton. The message from Hawke was to shut him down. Apparently Parker had given Gayfer some lip in an AFL game prior about being past it! Story is Gayfer shut him down and reminded Parker since they were both back in the GVFL they were both past it!

Well roar the basics of the covid are the higher density of people the faster it spreads, comparing NSW to Vic is laughable, within 1.5 hours of Melbourne we have large populations of Geelong, bendigo, Ballarat, Macedon ranges, Traralgon, Warragul/drouin, where it can spread over the state fast, NSW is far larger where it is less likely to spread from Sydney to Coffs to Ballina, orange etc as fast.
Only one problem with that theory Trent the flight Steward , is that the latest outbreak has mostly been concentrated in Melbourne for the past two weeks , current lock down has not been due to spread into regional areas . 3 weeks go Victoria was on track to release at the same or similar time / rate as NSW .
Sydney had the ship disaster and now is seemingly under control .

Last edited:
If they are going to restrict Melbourne Metro people from regional Victoria (not sure how they are going to do it) perhaps they should have done it 2 months back and we could have got senior football going in regional Victoria.
Of course they should have, but the horse has bolted and they will have to clean up the mess we are all now in.
The Govt has said a hard border lockdown will be imposed on metropolitan Victoria from regional areas. Apparently the border will separate 31 locked-down metropolitan local government areas and the Mitchell Shire from regional areas.
It looks like they are scanning number plates and pulling over anyone not from that area and questioning them and turning them back and issuing fines to some people or will be after midnight tonight.

Last edited:
Of course they should have, but the horse has bolted and they will have to clean up the mess we are all now in.
The Govt has said a hard border lockdown will be imposed on metropolitan Victoria from regional areas. Apparently the border will separate 31 locked-down metropolitan local government areas and the Mitchell Shire from regional areas.
It looks like they are scanning number plates and pulling over anyone not from that area and questioning them and turning them back and issuing fines to some people or will be after midnight tonight.

Good luck everyone...a big 6 weeks coming up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck everyone...a big 6 weeks coming up.
Always available to chat mate and that is extended to anyone regardless of if we’ve disagreed or not in the past .
The incidence of suicide particularly amongst middle aged men is regional Australia is very concerning .

Always available to chat mate and that is extended to anyone regardless of if we’ve disagreed or not in the past .
The incidence of suicide particularly amongst middle aged men is regional Australia is very concerning .
Well said Roar. I would like to think disagreement about football matters rapidly diminish when people in our footy community are struggling and in need of the sort of companionship country footy clubs would normally provide. Most of us are just user names on here, so we don't know who might be feeling particularly isolated.

Hopefully our GV footy forum community continues to provide some online support for one another as well as some footy chat.

Well said Tongue and Roar and the offer to chat is there from me too. 6 weeks will be tough on all of us but the sky is always blue above the clouds.

Thanks guys. Now that it’s all finally over for the year it’s an ideal time for those of us involved in club and league administration to work out a way forward for our region to improve the health of our game at all levels.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is he related to big bad bustling barry
Baker was not to be messed with but i still say the toughest GV footballer I've seen was Seymour's 'Butch' Inness
What relative is Butch to Matt and Robbie Inness
And Damien.
Their Dad.
Both Matt and Robbie in charge of Fitness programs at the Western Bulldogs and Richmond respectively. Between them they have been involved in AFL Premierships in 2016, 2017 and 2019. Not a bad record. Also big Bad Barry Hall's first cousins
And let's not forget Matt played state cricket for both Vic and WA.. and was at one stage talked about for being in the mix for a test spot.
Played against Matt in jrs when he was at Broadford... didn't mind putting blokes on their arse.. trust me

I’m so screenshotting all this to Robbie, he was very tight with Fat Back Pocket and often gave me mail or bullets back in Big Footy infancy 😂

Grew up 3 doors from 41 Govett St. Broadford, and Butch to this day and his beautiful wife are the only two people who address me as “Christopher” and for me will always be remembered as one of my most influential father type figures when I lost my dad at 17.
Butch used to tell us ya never get taken off on a stretcher, as one day legend has it he left the field unconscious and when he came to lost his $hit in the rooms saying to medicos “never do that again” ha ha

Damien broke his ankle horribly when we were all at Yea and tried to stand up and walk off .... pretty sure due to Kevin’s words, Redda was a tough little bugger too.

I know BROADFORD boys of my era, and I’m sure Lions boys too can agree that ya never got water off Butch unless he felt you deserved a drink ha ha

Matt and I participated in each other’s weddings days, are respective godfathers to our kids, and hand on heart I’d be lucky to be still upright and breathing today without his constant support thru a few dark periods. Even given all his stresses with Covid19 right now he regularly checks in, and apologises if we go longer than a fortnight without actual verbal chat.

Mind you if not for bad knee troubles and surgery at 16yo he mighta pushed closed to an AFL list himself as he’d represented the State at U15 level of footy.

All 3 Inness boys have made very successful lives for themselves and their beautiful families, and have strong, loyal work ethics too which can be attributed back to their parents.

Also ... Butch and Barry’s grandmother are siblings, the Inness family was a big one 👍

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Now that it’s all finally over for the year it’s an ideal time for those of us involved in club and league administration to work out a way forward for our region to improve the health of our game at all levels.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree Grassy perfect chance for a complete deep breath, re-set and work on a scenario that can see our great footy/netball community across the entire state sustain and remain long term 👍

I’m so screenshotting all this to Robbie, he was very tight with Fat Back Pocket and often gave me mail or bullets back in Big Footy infancy 😂

Grew up 3 doors from 41 Govett St. Broadford, and Butch to this day and his beautiful wife are the only two people who address me as “Christopher” and for me will always be remembered as one of my most influential father type figures when I lost my dad at 17.
Butch used to tell us ya never get taken off on a stretcher, as one day legend has it he left the field unconscious and when he came to lost his $hit in the rooms saying to medicos “never do that again” ha ha

Damien broke his ankle horribly when we were all at Yea and tried to stand up and walk off .... pretty sure due to Kevin’s words, Redda was a tough little bugger too.

I know BROADFORD boys of my era, and I’m sure Lions boys too can agree that ya never got water off Butch unless he felt you deserved a drink ha ha

Matt and I participated in each other’s weddings days, are respective godfathers to our kids, and hand on heart I’d be lucky to be still upright and breathing today without his constant support thru a few dark periods. Even given all his stresses with Covid19 right now he regularly checks in, and apologises if we go longer than a fortnight without actual verbal chat.

Mind you if not for bad knee troubles and surgery at 16yo he mighta pushed closed to an AFL list himself as he’d represented the State at U15 level of footy.

All 3 Inness boys have made very successful lives for themselves and their beautiful families, and have strong, loyal work ethics too which can be attributed back to their parents.

Also ... Butch and Barry’s grandmother are siblings, the Inness family was a big one 👍

I remember the day Butch did his hammy in the opening match of the year at King's Park. Ended up punching the brick wall and breaking his wrist and missed 6 weeks instead of 3 with his hammy.

I remember the day Butch did his hammy in the opening match of the year at King's Park. Ended up punching the brick wall and breaking his wrist and missed 6 weeks instead of 3 with his hammy.
Ha ha that often got a run too

Ha ha that often got a run too
We had a day at the cricket Butch split his head open after trying to sweep the opening bowler , and if it wasn't for the old man who had played against him for 40 years who said 'nah Butch it needs stiches " he still would have kept playing , we went like hell to get the rest of the team out before he got back , he hit the ball far enough when in a good mood let alone angry with stiches - he is a tough bastard

We had a day at the cricket Butch split his head open after trying to sweep the opening bowler , and if it wasn't for the old man who had played against him for 40 years who said 'nah Butch it needs stiches " he still would have kept playing , we went like hell to get the rest of the team out before he got back , he hit the ball far enough when in a good mood let alone angry with stiches - he is a tough bastard
6 leg byes off his head against Dick on that infamous Bennett Oval track was another one apparently.

His 166no at Chittick Park in our 2s flag in 93/94 saw some of the biggest hits I’d ever seen and he was 41yo then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back