Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone see Open Mike on Fox tonight? Mick Gayfer was on. A very humble man, but interestingly he spoke of when he was sacked by Matthews in 1994 and went to play at Tatura under Paul Hawke. The deal was that he didn't want to tag anymore and just wanted to play CHB and take marks.

Hawke approached him early in the season prior to playing Tongala and more specifically a relatively younger Brendan Parker who was back from Carlton. The message from Hawke was to shut him down. Apparently Parker had given Gayfer some lip in an AFL game prior about being past it! Story is Gayfer shut him down and reminded Parker since they were both back in the GVFL they were both past it!
I watched it, I was too young to see him at AFL level but thought he came across quite well when discussing his career with Sheahan.

On another note, I remember a Will Gayfer who was a few years older than me playing for the Bushrangers, I'm assuming that they're brothers?

Edit: s**t I felt old all of a sudden

I watched it, I was too young to see him at AFL level but thought he came across quite well when discussing his career with Sheahan.

On another note, I remember a Will Gayfer who was a few years older than me playing for the Bushrangers, I'm assuming that they're brothers?

Edit: sh*t I felt old all of a sudden

Assuming you must be correct Jet as the Gayfers were from up that direction. I think he had brothers: Tony, Peter and David, who all played at Tatura with Mick at various times between 1994-1998 but wasn't aware of Will Gayfer until you mentioned him.

Why roll it over in July? We are still talking Co-vid 19 on here Aucklander. November will be appropriate as per normal.
Cheers.

I wasn't going to do it now, just simply asked for a yell if you'd like it done earlier.

A very damming review of AFLVic down Gippsland from an external consultant. They found that there is a 'hostile' environment down there and that AFLVic is basically not welcome in those parts. I believe there are similar sentiments up in the Sunraysia. I once described it as a football 'civil' war and was pulled up on it but from what I'm hearing that is what it is. Could be some huge changes coming for our footballing landscape.

A very damming review of AFLVic down Gippsland from an external consultant. They found that there is a 'hostile' environment down there and that AFLVic is basically not welcome in those parts. I believe there are similar sentiments up in the Sunraysia. I once described it as a football 'civil' war and was pulled up on it but from what I'm hearing that is what it is. Could be some huge changes coming for our footballing landscape.
Do the Leagues have any choice Ringo? I thought you had to be under the AFLVIC banner?

What would change if it wasn’t AFL Vic in charge. What would make football better?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What would change if it wasn’t AFL Vic in charge. What would make football better?

I think that having 'grassroots' people in charge would be a good thing. If people down there were listened to and not backed into a corner then there would be a much better chance of change. I believe an independent body should be overseeing the leagues down there as atm, AFLVic is well and truly on the nose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do the Leagues have any choice Ringo? I thought you had to be under the AFLVIC banner?
There are number points regarding AFL Vic and country footy which can get confused . Specifically two points in particular .
First is being affiliated with AFL Vic , which requires affiliation with a regional commission and the second being administered by an AFL Regional admin centre .
A few years ago it was attempted in some regions to force administration by admin centres by way of affiliation solely being conditional of administration .
It’s my understanding the majority of concerns including within Gippsland have commenced due to being seemingly forced to be administered by AFL Vic hubs.
Furthermore for those who aren’t aware the hubs were introduced following a 2011 review into country football where it was found that administration via hubs should be ‘ offered ‘.
Following the closure of the vcfl football in country Vic the AFL has been scrutinised for being too Melbourne eccentric , heavy handed and lacking engagement with country stakeholders.
IMO , there have been a lot of smallish changes and non consultative implementations which have led to bigger issues since the replacement of vcfl with AFL .
Under the vcfl model there was a lot more face to face education to clubs on things such as mental health , cyber safety etc etc . Additionally the removal of things like , admin training programs , coaching associations and introduction of things like academies have taking away a lot of networking amongst footy people.
Whilst the lack of consultation and seemingly consideration for country footy on things like changing schoolboys carnival and introduction of the CCSP has left a sour taste with many people .
Outside of this region there has also been commissions removed seemingly due to poor financial performance which is allegeded by some as having not been handled with the greatest of communication .
For the most part I think the AFL have significantly improved their consultative processes and have been greater received by the majority over the past 2 years .
Regardless of the view on what salary caps should be , the timing and lack of consultation of recent recommendations was bewildering .
I doubt anymore than 5% of people , including within the AFL headquarters , believe that CCSP doesn’t need a full review . To seemingly pluck a figure from no where amidst a pandemic , without studying or considering all stakeholders and without reviewing the whole program was bizzare to say the least .
How to rectify ?
I believe country and metro football require separation by way of own boards and own specific staffing .

Last edited:
I think the leagues are well and truly within their rights to go it alone. Roar would know more about that as he withdrew the Picola League from the AFLVic hub a couple of years back.
ringo1 no single picola person withdrew , nor wished for the the Picola League not to be affiliate.
The league wished to remain autonomous in its administration which had always been and still is , which I believe is what Sunraysia and many in Gippsland also wish to be .

ringo1 no single picola person withdrew , nor wished for the the Picola League not to be affiliate.
The league wished to remain autonomous in its administration which had always been and still is , which I believe is what Sunraysia and many in Gippsland also wish to be .
Cheers mate. I also belivee that the good folk of the Western/Hampton districts are keen to explore other options as well.

My understanding of the gippy situations mainly revolves around the Alberton league, where towns like fish creek, who have produced the weed and Barry Stanfield to AFL want to know where they will be pushed to play and how it will impact juniors.

The other concern is how big an area the major league covers, as it's a fair trip from Wonthaggi to Bairnsdale and Drouin. So they are looking at East west, but the eastern clubs aren't keen because they use playing against the west teams for travel for recruits and retain juniors, interesting that the two smallest populated towns in Maffra and Leongatha have played off in the last 4 finals

i think the glaring point from 2018 is that the PDFL fees were actually substantially less even with a buying power of only 13. My VB addled brain says hey, AFLVIC taking all the money at empire level, no spending in the regions with no understanding of the relevance, the community, the acumen of the quality people running a country footy club. BTW no credit to the authors of the 2011 report who originally made no reference to netball in their 147 page report, which proved at that stage of no understanding. All credit to the Roar, the people of the PDFNL, the people of Sunraysia and Gippsland for taking a stand. Power to the people of the country.

I posted the final AFL Vic recommendation on the Gippsland Forum. I have lots of rellies up around Maffra and at Phillip Island and friends at Bairnsdale and Swan Reach, so I was interested in what has been proposed. I must say that after reading the report I thought it was very thorough and well balanced. I do appreciate that locals playing in Gippsland may have different views from mine. There are no directives only different recommendations with the advantages and disadvantages and it is left to the Leagues to sort out what they are going to do. My mate who lives in Bairnsdale is hoping the 3 hr trip down to Wonthaggi will end. A very long day driving down, watch the game, a very short social event and then another 3 hrs home. One thing I found most revealing and a bit amazing were the maps showing where people traveled from to play (start at P36) in each of the leagues. Some of the travel distances are hard to grasp. Everything is shown as the crow flies but if you check the roads that must be traveled to get to a location on the other side of the Highlands doesn't give any idea of how far some players actually travel. Have a look and see if you think there is a reason for the hostility. To me it looks like AFL Vic have done a good job in their reasoning.

Attachments

• G25-Strategy-Final-Report-Play-the-Game-Senior-Competition-Structures.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
I posted the final AFL Vic recommendation on the Gippsland Forum. I have lots of rellies up around Maffra and at Phillip Island and friends at Bairnsdale and Swan Reach, so I was interested in what has been proposed. I must say that after reading the report I thought it was very thorough and well balanced. I do appreciate that locals playing in Gippsland may have different views from mine. There are no directives only different recommendations with the advantages and disadvantages and it is left to the Leagues to sort out what they are going to do. My mate who lives in Bairnsdale is hoping the 3 hr trip down to Wonthaggi will end. A very long day driving down, watch the game, a very short social event and then another 3 hrs home. One thing I found most revealing and a bit amazing were the maps showing where people traveled from to play (start at P36) in each of the leagues. Some of the travel distances are hard to grasp. Everything is shown as the crow flies but if you check the roads that must be traveled to get to a location on the other side of the Highlands doesn't give any idea of how far some players actually travel. Have a look and see if you think there is a reason for the hostility. To me it looks like AFL Vic have done a good job in their reasoning.

I agree that some of the reasoning is ok. However the issues are more around the lack of consultation and the belief that some of the personalities have not done themselves any favours down there. After all football is all about relationships and I think AFL Vic May well of forgotten that !

Yep the travel varies in all leagues, from bugger all in ellinbank and mid gippy to big trips in the gippy league. If you look at a proud club like Drouin, which has produced great AFL talent to not being able to get a thirds side for the past years as kids play in the ellinbank league as there's bugger all travelling, so they have no juniors coming through, for a regional city which is getting close to 20,000 people. Which isn't great for footy.

I will say the drives in Gippsland are far more enjoyable driving three hours than up north, where the drive to hay or balranald feels like forever.

Just on the ringos point about consultation, maybe the clubs would still be talking about maybes in 10 years time which will be the detriment to Alberton league clubs. Maybe it's better AFL Vic say here's our recommendation and bang, Afterall poor hay has being trying to play closer to home for years, but haven't been let in by the closer league, I assume that's your league roar😜. After all each club is out to look after themselves first, maybe it's needed for footy to go ahead, minus the large overheads slugged to leagues to be AFL Vic, as they can't just give these recommendations and expect to handouts but nothing comes back to the clubs

I agree that some of the reasoning is ok. However the issues are more around the lack of consultation and the belief that some of the personalities have not done themselves any favours down there. After all football is all about relationships and I think AFL Vic May well of forgotten that !
You may be right, however, I do know that at many of the meetings they had to discuss the proposed changes were very heated events.

Yep the travel varies in all leagues, from bugger all in ellinbank and mid gippy to big trips in the gippy league. If you look at a proud club like Drouin, which has produced great AFL talent to not being able to get a thirds side for the past years as kids play in the ellinbank league as there's bugger all travelling, so they have no juniors coming through, for a regional city which is getting close to 20,000 people. Which isn't great for footy.
That seems to be one of the main concerns in the planning of this document and it gives a lot of emphasis on improving junior participation rates.
Without any action being leveraged by AFL Vic, the Alberton Footbal Netball League would cease to be able to run in a couple of years.

I’m still asking....how is the admin side of things going to improve footy on the ground?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back