Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

You can talk about that here:
Given this is an extension of a discussion which commenced on what may occur next year (within GVL) and potentially no footy, is not breaking any big footy rules , attacking or offending anyone . I’d have thought it was relevant , appropriate and able to be discussed within this the GVL board .

Has anyone got a 'feel' for next year? Believe the AFL are planning to once again have no crowds in Victoria. Surely we cannot allow two seasons without community sport?

3 footy supporters were trying to decide which bar to visit on the upcoming weekend.
The first supporter says, "I'm pretty well known at my regular place. I'll buy 2 or three pots, and then the bartender will throw one in for free."
The second supporter says, "I usually go to the pub in my town. The bartender free-pours, and I tip well, and every time I order a whisky, he pours me a double, but charges me for a single."
The third supporter says, "There's this bar near my club. You never have to pay a cent for the booze, and you can drink anything you want. They'll give you a great meal, anything off the menu for free and you can go behind the bar and pour your own drinks, then at the end of the night, they'll bring you into the manager's office, where you can have all the sex you can handle, with multiple partners at the same time, if you want."
"No way!" protest the other two blokes. "There's no bar like that on the face of the earth."
"Yes there is. I've never been there myself, but my sister was telling me about it just last week."

Last edited:
Hasn't Baird gone out there Roota? Geary to Colbinnabin. They are stars.The Bendigo league is continuing to diminish as a power.

Might have been a bit tongue in cheek old mate. Yep Adam Baird is heading out to Toolleen..joining his brother and a few former Square team mates. Jack Geary is rumoured to be going to Colbo

Might have been a bit tongue in cheek old mate. Yep Adam Baird is heading out to Toolleen..joining his brother and a few former Square team mates. Jack Geary is rumoured to be going to Colbo
Any idea how the two leagues compare salary cap wise Roota??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it's there yet ringo, but over the last 10 years the level of the league has risen significantly, they beat the cmfl in interleague not long ago, it's become a hybrid league, not major league, not minor league, but a good standard of footy, where players are lured from big leagues for a combo of cash, playing for a community club, relaxed training requirements where players enjoy their footy more

No doubt mate but interesting to see top liners leaving for the HDFL, which in my opinion is closing the gap on standards with the Bendigo League.

Not sure it's there yet ringo, but over the last 10 years the level of the league has risen significantly, they beat the cmfl in interleague not long ago, it's become a hybrid league, not major league, not minor league, but a good standard of footy, where players are lured from big leagues for a combo of cash, playing for a community club, relaxed training requirements where players enjoy their footy more

still a long long long way to go before the HD catches Bendigo or GV

The Grasshoppers have always had a couple key things going for them considering it is such a small community. Families with footballing equivalents to horse racing bloodlines, and farmers with deep pockets willing to invest in their town's footy team and top it up with some quality outsiders.

No doubt mate but interesting to see top liners leaving for the HDFL, which in my opinion is closing the gap on standards with the Bendigo League.

The players in question would be in their 30s and towards the end of their career. Would’ve thought that dropping leagues at that stage is fairly standard.

Sam Kerridge and Jed lamb are in their prime, both top 30 in their drafts, not sure anyone league in country Vic got that talent to come into their league, skinny Baird just won the Michelson not sure he's at the end

The players in question would be in their 30s and towards the end of their career. Would’ve thought that dropping leagues at that stage is fairly standard.

Skinny Baird recently captained Vic Country and Jack Geary the 2 years before that. They are rolled gold premier country footy midfielders still at their peak. As mentioned Kerridge and Lamb straight off Carlton’s list straight into the comp. they all walk into the GV interleague side

Sam Kerridge and Jed lamb are in their prime, both top 30 in their drafts, not sure anyone league in country Vic got that talent to come into their league, skinny Baird just won the Michelson not sure he's at the end

Never mentioned Lamb or Kerridge. My statement that Geary and Baird x 2 are all in their 30s, and closer to the end of their careers is true.

The HDFL is definitely getting stronger, however, the loss of those 3 doesn’t mean the BFL is going down the gurgler.

Skinny Baird recently captained Vic Country and Jack Geary the 2 years before that. They are rolled gold premier country footy midfielders still at their peak. As mentioned Kerridge and Lamb straight off Carlton’s list straight into the comp. they all walk into the GV interleague side

I’m well aware of their credentials, and I never mentioned Kerridge or Lamb. I wasn’t taking a shot at the HDFL; it’s a strong comp with some quality players.

I apologise if my comment was construed as a shot at any particular player or league. If you read my comment again, I think it’s a fairly accurate statement?

ringo1 I think we’ll see players wanting to cut back their commitment to footy on the other side of COVID , which might see quite a few move from premier leagues to community leagues .

Whilst it is good to see some of the guys in the HDFNL, lets be realistic as these guys are getting well looked after in a number of ways. Both Kerridge and Lamb are certainly being well paid at White Hills and I am informed Baird will be at Mount Pleasant (although there was some lure to help out his mate in Walsh). As for Geary he is a terrific player and still in his prime so a move to Colbo is surprising. Great footy club at Colbo but I would have thought Geary was a few years away from heading there. Maybe the loss of Haberman at Square has resulted in a number of players looking for greener pastures. I have heard there may be a couple of others on the move too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back