Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
There are not many opportunities to play with your family and be involved in something new. No doubt the McPhee and Holman families would be excited to see the next generation of families playing together for the first time. The Cats will bring new challenges and something different.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Should the vcfl have a father son rule, where points are halved or 1 pointers, if their father played 100 senior games at a club. Many footballers of today come back home and play, but live in the city, where do their sons grow up playing in the city, if they get recruited to dad's home club they could be a 4 or 5 pointer, in future how do country clubs compete with city clubs?

3rd Grade Maggy

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2004
In the Finals ...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Southampton
Should the vcfl have a father son rule, where points are halved or 1 pointers, if their father played 100 senior games at a club. Many footballers of today come back home and play, but live in the city, where do their sons grow up playing in the city, if they get recruited to dad's home club they could be a 4 or 5 pointer, in future how do country clubs compete with city clubs?
That's a really ******* good idea.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You are always thinking outside the box Trent. Love the idea!.

jayco13

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2011
Rushworth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Rushworth, NY Jets,
This is the best, and most interesting, post to happen on the gv thread for over a week 👍Trent

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda

Love it

May 25, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Brilliant! Should be implemented ASAP. Also great to see something not about rochy and Echuca 😝

Oct 5, 2004
Moving Around
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Avoca FNC, Ouyen Kangas FNC
And in great hands with Ben Davey coaching them.Although the town often struggles, the football club is an outstanding organisation.

Couldnt agree more Ringo. Ben is a terrific acquisition and coach. Exciting times for him and the Lions in 2021 I believe. They will be thereabouts I am sure.

As for Gary Brown, the amount of work he puts into the club is something else. His and the Committee’s efforts have made the club a focal point of the town. The club and it’s people contribute in so many ways to the local community with so many good things resulting.

I am always impressed by the Lions both on and off field. One of the best clubs I have seen in my travels.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Both Ultra and Jacco
Couldnt agree more Ringo. Ben is a terrific acquisition and coach. Exciting times for him and the Lions in 2021 I believe. They will be thereabouts I am sure.

As for Gary Brown, the amount of work he puts into the club is something else. His and the Committee’s efforts have made the club a focal point of the town. The club and it’s people contribute in so many ways to the local community with so many good things resulting.

I am always impressed by the Lions both on and off field. One of the best clubs I have seen in my travels.
The Lions are mostly thereabouts in my experience. They were powerful when they first come into the GV and won a flag in about '82?

Apart from a low period in the '90's (I think) they have generally been in finals or close to finals. And then they won three in a row and lost their fourth by a kick! Good club! I reckon they are greatly respected around the league.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Both Ultra and Jacco

The Lions are mostly thereabouts in my experience. They were powerful when they first come into the GV and won a flag in about '82?

Apart from a low period in the '90's (I think) they have generally been in finals or close to finals. And then they won three in a row and lost their fourth by a kick! Good club! I reckon they are greatly respected around the league.
Won in 76, their first year in the GV and then went back- to- back in 81/82. Won one in 91 and then the three peat in the early 2000's,05,06,07.. seven in 44 years isnt a bad strike rate at all and I think Gary Browne has been there for all of them.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Although the points system is about encouraging clubs to recruit their own 1 pointers it is also mentioned with the term equalisation . As we continue to see larger towns with high schools grow their junior sides in junior leagues it comes at the expense of others who don’t have that luxury . There are already significant disparities in the amount of 1 pointers being available to clubs within leagues . Adding father / son type scenario is only likely to increase the disparity .
I agree would be great for sons of fathers who have played at a club to return as 1 pointers , however it would further expose an issue that already exists. The junior pathway needs major consideration , clubs having 2-3 junior sides , at the expense of others, that lead to 1 aligned Senior grade is not doing anything for the broader region particularly player retention beyond junior ages.
Kdl thirds for example is all but rooted since shepp based sides have continued to increase the amount of teams in the shepp district juniors , whilst sides like Tat , Rochy and now Mooropna with the mega school are going to be trying to compete with half to 1/3 of the 1 pointers the shepp based teams and Echuca will have . Add father / son and considering a parent may have two sons the variation or opportunity quickly grows to 1/4 to 1/6 .

jobbytonny

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fair point Roar , what about if you used the ranking of the leagues , if they come back to GV it’s 1 point off , Murray it’s 2 points off and Picola and KD it’s 3 , and also make it 100 club games. , for the kid who started at u14’s and went right through to u18’s then had to leave for uni but is finished as is able to come back from the city on the weekends.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Fair point Roar , what about if you used the ranking of the leagues , if they come back to GV it’s 1 point off , Murray it’s 2 points off and Picola and KD it’s 3 , and also make it 100 club games. , for the kid who started at u14’s and went right through to u18’s then had to leave for uni but is finished as is able to come back from the city on the weekends.
Awarding more points for varying leagues won’t help the variation within leagues . As mentioned in previous post some
Clubs are running 2-3 sides in junior comps at one group , these sides are being aligned to senior comps for the purpose of the points system so putting x amount of games means little as the 2-3 sides run for 5-6 years easily equating to 100 plus games .
If the system was to get fair dinkim about making player retention a priority then using the percentage of players who transition from juniors to seniors influencing player points available would be a great start .

jayco13

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2011
Rushworth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Rushworth, NY Jets,
Might be getting old but I will hold people accountble for using 'new' names to troll others..done and dusted. Happy to move on but the thread will be a much better place moving forward.
Wasn't it mentioned on here that he isn't who you think it is??
Anyway, be nice to see more footy talk when things get going and less childish tit for tat

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wasn't it mentioned on here that he isn't who you think it is??
Anyway, be nice to see more footy talk when things get going and less childish tit for tat
No mate I'm super confident. If you want to come on here and run down your own players then there is a level of accountability. Hardly tit for tat.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Although the points system is about encouraging clubs to recruit their own 1 pointers it is also mentioned with the term equalisation . As we continue to see larger towns with high schools grow their junior sides in junior leagues it comes at the expense of others who don’t have that luxury . There are already significant disparities in the amount of 1 pointers being available to clubs within leagues . Adding father / son type scenario is only likely to increase the disparity .
I agree would be great for sons of fathers who have played at a club to return as 1 pointers , however it would further expose an issue that already exists. The junior pathway needs major consideration , clubs having 2-3 junior sides , at the expense of others, that lead to 1 aligned Senior grade is not doing anything for the broader region particularly player retention beyond junior ages.
Kdl thirds for example is all but rooted since shepp based sides have continued to increase the amount of teams in the shepp district juniors , whilst sides like Tat , Rochy and now Mooropna with the mega school are going to be trying to compete with half to 1/3 of the 1 pointers the shepp based teams and Echuca will have . Add father / son and considering a parent may have two sons the variation or opportunity quickly grows to 1/4 to 1/6 .
Lalbert have no school roar and haven't for a long time, yet manage to get thirds every year. Itmay

Lalbert haven't had a school, located in the middle of nowhere yet manage to get thirds every year.
My point regarding father son is to allow a Rushworth for example that had a player move to Melbourne yet comes back and plays, yet when they have kids and play in the city growing up could be a 4-5 pointer if Rushworth recruit him. It allows family generations to play at their family club as a 1 pointer,

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Lalbert have no school roar and haven't for a long time, yet manage to get thirds every year. Itmay

Lalbert haven't had a school, located in the middle of nowhere yet manage to get thirds every year.
My point regarding father son is to allow a Rushworth for example that had a player move to Melbourne yet comes back and plays, yet when they have kids and play in the city growing up could be a 4-5 pointer if Rushworth recruit him. It allows family generations to play at their family club as a 1 pointer,
I understand the good will which is solid IMO , but it would further lopside the system unfortunately .

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
I reckon they have added 5-6 top players from Eaglehawk, Rochy and now Kyabram since the end of 2019. Good players from top major league teams is always a key indicator. All 1 points apart from Holman.

Lost a couple too though
Including one of their top players over the last couple of yrs.

I do hear they keep in contact with Faulks often too

Back