Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
wombats

Good idea! Just my thoughts I'd think Osborne, Lamont, Kirby, Owens, Rowan. Davey. Edwards/Mattingly & Stroobants would all be going on, I'd be thinking Yze & Ahmat would be keen to continue but might depend on the Bears ability to source a Coach of a higher profile with more pulling power, Palpratt has travelled from Bendigo to Coach Benalla so that would be dependant on how he has handled the travelling I'd guess, Walker & Maddox have been at it for a while now Ringo would be better placed to predict if those two will go on but they have done a great job getting Echuca back up there after a 7 year absence from finals I think it was.
[/QUOTE]
Mattingly is not going on

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good idea! Just my thoughts I'd think Osborne, Lamont, Kirby, Owens, Rowan. Davey. Edwards/Mattingly & Stroobants would all be going on, I'd be thinking Yze & Ahmat would be keen to continue but might depend on the Bears ability to source a Coach of a higher profile with more pulling power, Palpratt has travelled from Bendigo to Coach Benalla so that would be dependant on how he has handled the travelling I'd guess, Walker & Maddox have been at it for a while now Ringo would be better placed to predict if those two will go on but they have done a great job getting Echuca back up there after a 7 year absence from finals I think it was.
[/QUOTE]
No idea what the future holds for the Maddox/Walker combination. All I know that it is a tough gig atm being a coach in these circumstances. The job is difficult enough without the added pressure of dealing with all of this stuff.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
[/QUOTE]
Excellent post hilly Isn’t it great to be once again talking footy thank god !!! I’ve got a feeling Shepp may go in a different direction with a playing coach As far as the chances this year I think echuca are a real chance to make up for last year Euroa are my tip to play them

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Is there a higher % of non playing occuring now? Will stroobants continue?

[/QUOTE]
Excellent post hilly Isn’t it great to be once again talking footy thank god !!! I’ve got a feeling Shepp may go in a different direction with a playing coach As far as the chances this year I think echuca are a real chance to make up for last year Euroa are my tip to play them
[/QUOTE]

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is there a higher % of non playing occuring now? Will stroobants continue?

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Personally think it's too difficult to be a good coach whilst playing. Still say its almost a full- time job on its own. Things have changed and continue to do so, placing even more pressure on coaches.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Personally think it's too difficult to be a good coach whilst playing. Still say its almost a full- time job on its own. Things have changed and continue to do so, placing even more pressure on coaches.
A big issue with playing coaches is there is often a bench coach who is a club stalwart and who has coaching ambitions.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Also of note regarding league finances all across the state, the AFL is holding a review into AFL Victoria country governance configuration, with findings due at the end of the month, there are 11 Vic country commissions, where 4 of the hubs required AFL assistance. With the hardship to keep the AFL alive the last two years, expect leagues that can't meet the AFL needs will no longer be supported by the AFL, as they seek to micromanage all aspects of AFL. This could have dramatic impacts on footy through the state, as leagues may need to merge, not just clubs.

Also note that it's specifically aimed at country Vic footy, not metro or the ammos, it appears the AFL is hellbent or wrecking country footy, hence we are seeing good footy people lost to the game that are undermined by people who are pushing the AFL line.

If those are the figures questions need to be asked. I know a District Competition in the area the last time I heard had 70 plus K in the Bank. In relation to my original point Clubs should be in a financial position to navigate 1 Home game each without crowds. Memberships Sponsorship & other fundrisers have been completed.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Also of note regarding league finances all across the state, the AFL is holding a review into AFL Victoria country governance configuration, with findings due at the end of the month, there are 11 Vic country commissions, where 4 of the hubs required AFL assistance. With the hardship to keep the AFL alive the last two years, expect leagues that can't meet the AFL needs will no longer be supported by the AFL, as they seek to micromanage all aspects of AFL. This could have dramatic impacts on footy through the state, as leagues may need to merge, not just clubs.

Also note that it's specifically aimed at country Vic footy, not metro or the ammos, it appears the AFL is hellbent or wrecking country footy, hence we are seeing good footy people lost to the game that are undermined by people who are pushing the AFL line.
I think you’ll find any attempts by the AFL to increase micromanagement of leagues/ commissions/ regions will see a VCFL type body created and as a result the AFL competition will be forced to pay for players to partake in their desired talent programs . Eg TAC , VFL or AFL comp .
Somewhat like the old days where country clubs received payment if players were recruited from their club .
It appears the over whelming majority view across the state is away from admin hubs and distancing from AFL micro management .
It probably hasn’t been as obvious in this region since Jamie Macri has been RGM, but there appears to be growing angst in many other regions .
In regards to the GVL IIRC the admin costs in 2019 was $137 k up $5k from
the previous year , which may mean this year it’s up to $147 ???.
Of that $147k I’d suspect costs for the admin person would be $80k max .
I’d be pretty sure GVL could rent a Dunkirk type office space for less than $70k a year including associated costs .
I wouldn’t think not being in the admin centre would be financial detrimental to the GVL .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
This is article in todays paper. It comes across as a real takeover and has the capacity to alter country footy pretty significantly.

A secretive AFL review into the administration and funding of country and community football in Victoria has raised alarm bells in footy’s heartland.
A leaked memo obtained by the Saturday Herald Sun reveals a statewide review is underway to evaluate current governance models, with findings due late this month.

The “AFL Victoria Country Governance Configuration’’ project lists funding, regional commission models and league affiliation agreements with AFL Victoria among its terms of reference.

Country footy chiefs fear it could jeopardise much needed finances and trigger a power struggle between the AFL and amateur associations.

The memo says the AFL is “carrying significant risk areas including financial aid and legal compliance for country commissions’’.

AFL Victoria head Brad Scott confirmed a “consultation’’ was underway but said it was focused on support, not a power or funding grab.

He said AFL Victoria wanted leagues to “control their own destiny’’ but the governing body needed to support those in need.

“We need to be able to support them so they don’t fall over and become insolvent and have legal issues but we don’t want to interfere and control them at the same time,’’ he said.

All 11 country commissions are funded by AFL Victoria, with four requiring additional financial assistance last year.

Six are independent and five were appointed by AFL Victoria.

The memo proposed “further evolving the governance model for all of country Victoria.’’

Former AFL Gippsland commissioner John White said the “covert’’ nature of the review had “the broader football community’’ worried.

“There has been a long held perception that AFL Vic/AFL want to control every aspect of football for their financial gain to feed the high cost structure they have,’’ he said.

He said the review would “remove AFL Vic of any liabilities incurred into the future’’.

“AFL Vic, it appears, will not be supportive of leagues that endure financial hardship,’’ he said.

Scott said he was “advocating for more, not less’’.

“I’ll go kicking and screaming if there are any threats to cut,’’ he said.

“We are actually building an investment case to reinvest back into community footy so I suspect we will be fighting for a bigger slice of revenue rather than cuts.’’

But a northern Victorian league executive said: “There is some angst around the state, people are concerned by what their governance structure means.

“The overwhelming feeling is, its another opportunity for the AFL to micromanage these commissions.’’

Riddell District Football League president Brenton Knott said after breaking away from the AFL last year, the self governed league and its clubs “have a lot more say in the future’’.

“All our clubs felt they were just being pushed at every option, that it was money driven and they didn’t think they were getting value for money,’’ he said.

Another country footy chief said funding had previously been pulled from country commissions who were left “unsustainable’’ without “handing over complete control.’’

“Ultimately this means the AFL have or are seeking complete unanswerable control of all country football,’’ he said.

I would imagine that funding will go to elite juniors and programs as the TAC cup will be axed, as its not sustainable, for country teams to travel all over the state.
I cant see the AFL being transparent in any decisions they make, it will be about profit to help the AFL, not the ongoing health and sustainability of country footy in Victoria,
There's no doubt there will be more spin on the findings and their decisions than a warny leg break, it will be all about junior talent pathways, not about the longevity of footy clubs.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
This is article in todays paper. It comes across as a real takeover and has the capacity to alter country footy pretty significantly.

A secretive AFL review into the administration and funding of country and community football in Victoria has raised alarm bells in footy’s heartland.
A leaked memo obtained by the Saturday Herald Sun reveals a statewide review is underway to evaluate current governance models, with findings due late this month.

The “AFL Victoria Country Governance Configuration’’ project lists funding, regional commission models and league affiliation agreements with AFL Victoria among its terms of reference.

Country footy chiefs fear it could jeopardise much needed finances and trigger a power struggle between the AFL and amateur associations.

The memo says the AFL is “carrying significant risk areas including financial aid and legal compliance for country commissions’’.

AFL Victoria head Brad Scott confirmed a “consultation’’ was underway but said it was focused on support, not a power or funding grab.

He said AFL Victoria wanted leagues to “control their own destiny’’ but the governing body needed to support those in need.

“We need to be able to support them so they don’t fall over and become insolvent and have legal issues but we don’t want to interfere and control them at the same time,’’ he said.

All 11 country commissions are funded by AFL Victoria, with four requiring additional financial assistance last year.

Six are independent and five were appointed by AFL Victoria.

The memo proposed “further evolving the governance model for all of country Victoria.’’

Former AFL Gippsland commissioner John White said the “covert’’ nature of the review had “the broader football community’’ worried.

“There has been a long held perception that AFL Vic/AFL want to control every aspect of football for their financial gain to feed the high cost structure they have,’’ he said.

He said the review would “remove AFL Vic of any liabilities incurred into the future’’.

“AFL Vic, it appears, will not be supportive of leagues that endure financial hardship,’’ he said.

Scott said he was “advocating for more, not less’’.

“I’ll go kicking and screaming if there are any threats to cut,’’ he said.

“We are actually building an investment case to reinvest back into community footy so I suspect we will be fighting for a bigger slice of revenue rather than cuts.’’

But a northern Victorian league executive said: “There is some angst around the state, people are concerned by what their governance structure means.

“The overwhelming feeling is, its another opportunity for the AFL to micromanage these commissions.’’

Riddell District Football League president Brenton Knott said after breaking away from the AFL last year, the self governed league and its clubs “have a lot more say in the future’’.

“All our clubs felt they were just being pushed at every option, that it was money driven and they didn’t think they were getting value for money,’’ he said.

Another country footy chief said funding had previously been pulled from country commissions who were left “unsustainable’’ without “handing over complete control.’’

“Ultimately this means the AFL have or are seeking complete unanswerable control of all country football,’’ he said.

I would imagine that funding will go to elite juniors and programs as the TAC cup will be axed, as its not sustainable, for country teams to travel all over the state.
I cant see the AFL being transparent in any decisions they make, it will be about profit to help the AFL, not the ongoing health and sustainability of country footy in Victoria,
There's no doubt there will be more spin on the findings and their decisions than a warny leg break, it will be all about junior talent pathways, not about the longevity of footy clubs.
Was the memo it alludes to publicised ?? Be interesting to see .

Blues1977

All Australian
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Good to see Alex Rance (Seymour.......) and Kyle Emery (Mansefield) both suit up for Essendon VFL over the weekend in Queensland.

Oct 5, 2004
Moving Around
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Avoca FNC, Ouyen Kangas FNC

Normo3

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Last edited:

Bush Fly

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Crowds of 300 outdoors? Was the way I read it? Juniors Friday Night or at alternative venue Sunday. Netball Sunday. Seniors & Reserves on Saturday. You'd think they could allow a Private Function in the Social Rooms as well where they could get some in as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back