Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I've watched a fair few rdfl games over the last 5 years, the top teams in the comp have some serious players, that would walk into any top tier league, mainly due to their location close to the city and plenty of people moving to the area

I’d say it also gives indication that the step up from
Community league to GVL isn’t as big as it once was .

One person celebrates it 20 others think they’ve been ripped off and the remaining couldn’t care. I think you’ll find ringo’s point is the watering down of the medal given the various compromises that have happened during the year .
Given only 60% of scheduled games were played it is probably a valid point.

Like most Counts then ?

I've watched a fair few rdfl games over the last 5 years, the top teams in the comp have some serious players, that would walk into any top tier league, mainly due to their location close to the city and plenty of people moving to the area

I've seen a fair share too and would agree that a 3-4 of the top sides have some very handy players that would slot straight into a GV sides. However, the overall competition and standard is well below GV level. Random question? Who is the youngest winner of a league medal?

I've seen a fair share too and would agree that a 3-4 of the top sides have some very handy players that would slot straight into a GV sides. However, the overall competition and standard is well below GV level. Random question? Who is the youngest winner of a league medal?
Jon Solomon Won the Morrison in 1989 at the age of 21 I don't know if he was the youngest but would be one of the youngest. Got picked up by Brisbane after that Season.

Are many posters happy these days.

So many wish they were back in time.

Things change enjoy the moment enjoy the game.
Gotta say im pretty happy 😁😁
But you have to admit gvfl, and footy in general, was much better back in the 90s/early 2000s. The quality of the games and players was much higher than it is now.
Due to salary cap and points system clubs can't recruit multiple 'stars' anymore.
Things do change but not always for the best....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah fair point mate. That said, I think it reflects the passion of many posters on here who are around 50 years old and older who remember GV footy in the 80', 90's and 2000's.

Yes I agree, enjoy the game when we can! Hopefully Round 1 will kick off in 2022 with a mostly vaccinated population and footy can proceed unimpinged by Lockdowns.

Great post Post! Thanks for the mindful message.
Psychologists know through studies it is normal for folk to reflect on “The Good Old Days.”
Yes we are very lucky to have this great game at all.
Keep up the positive vibe!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Most within the game have become dis-heartened with what is occuring with what was once regarded and respected as the grassroots / peoples game which made it the game it was and seemingly remains in the non AFL controlled WA and SA .
It's a game that has been built primarily on good people who have their communities interests at heart with local people who the courage to put their hand up elected as leaders within their club which has been replicated through the whole industry.
It was everyone wanting to beat someone as an opponent but doing everything outside of that to help each other .
Now we have people being engaged within leadership of the game who have no history within the game and/or who see AFL solely as a means to further their individual wealth and as a result you see people willing to take extreme lengths which are not necessarily in the best interests of the game.
Lies, Bullying , cover ups all see people become negative and non trusting.
Leadership beyond local club level within community football is no longer elected which therefore reduces accountability ot those whom have no direct link .
Personally I know of multiple people who have incurred serious mental health issues who have cited treatment from AFL or their various subsidaries as the cause , a game which was once seen as a means to assist with community engagement.
There is a very growing view the more that you become involved the more likely you are to be exposed to toxic behaviour.

Most want the game back where it was !

Most within the game have become dis-heartened with what is occuring with what was once regarded and respected as the grassroots / peoples game which made it the game it was and seemingly remains in the non AFL controlled WA and SA .
It's a game that has been built primarily on good people who have their communities interests at heart with local people who the courage to put their hand up elected as leaders within their club which has been replicated through the whole industry.
It was everyone wanting to beat someone as an opponent but doing everything outside of that to help each other .
Now we have people being engaged within leadership of the game who have no history within the game and/or who see AFL solely as a means to further their individual wealth and as a result you see people willing to take extreme lengths which are not necessarily in the best interests of the game.
Lies, Bullying , cover ups all see people become negative and non trusting.
Leadership beyond local club level within community football is no longer elected which therefore reduces accountability ot those whom have no direct link .
Personally I know of multiple people who have incurred serious mental health issues who have cited treatment from AFL or their various subsidaries as the cause , a game which was once seen as a means to assist with community engagement.
There is a very growing view the more that you become involved the more likely you are to be exposed to toxic behaviour.

Most want the game back where it was !
Interesting to see Gippsland pull the pin and go it alone. Others will follow. As for the bullying it is a concern. If I listed some of the things on here I'm sure you would all see the connection between that and MH issues. I'm the first to say it sent me to a dark place. The lies, interference and lack of respect still irk me to this day.Unfortunately there are others that have had the same experience.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a sad state of affairs, the whole point of AFL Vic to run the show, was to be transparent decision makers that put the health of grass footy first, not their own agendas that leads to what Ringo describes below and is a s**t show.

I'm not sure if many league's go alone, whether that will be a good thing in the future, some might think no player points, no salary is a good thing to bring back the old days. However what was happening was city clubs had double or triple the budget of country clubs, we also had large number of players follow a coach, that left the club in huge trouble once they all left.

Instead of improving the continuity of country footy, however AFL Vic has turned into a money making scheme for the AFL, where costs of clubs are increased because the AFL is in debt. Not sure if league's go alone will get any funds in return from the AFL, as all the best juniors are given scholarships to private schools now from the country, where they get the best coaching without the AFL having to do anything. Interesting times ahead for grass roots footy.

Interesting to see Gippsland pull the pin and go it alone. Others will follow. As for the bullying it is a concern. If I listed some of the things on here I'm sure you would all see the connection between that and MH issues. I'm the first to say it sent me to a dark place. The lies, interference and lack respect still irk me to this day.Unfortunately there are others that have had the same experience.

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs, the whole point of AFL Vic to run the show, was to be transparent decision makers that put the health of grass footy first, not their own agendas that leads to what Ringo describes below and is a sh*t show.

I'm not sure if many league's go alone, whether that will be a good thing in the future, some might think no player points, no salary is a good thing to bring back the old days. However what was happening was city clubs had double or triple the budget of country clubs, we also had large number of players follow a coach, that left the club in huge trouble once they all left.

Instead of improving the continuity of country footy, however AFL Vic has turned into a money making scheme for the AFL, where costs of clubs are increased because the AFL is in debt. Not sure if league's go alone will get any funds in return from the AFL, as all the best juniors are given scholarships to private schools now from the country, where they get the best coaching without the AFL having to do anything. Interesting times ahead for grass roots footy.
Leagues don’t get funding from the AFL , it goes the other way whilst all programs like Auskick / academies etc etc are user pay .
You may recall a league went on its own a few years ago and exposed a variation of over $4k per club per year between what the AFL supplied and the market place cost . To AFL’s credit that was rectified , however country clubs have paid on average approximately $880 more in 2021 compared to their metro counterparts .
Metro clubs are also not bound to using specific apparel for which AFL receives royalties yet country clubs are. The variation between AFL logo’s apparel and none AFL apparel is astounding , 15-20% difference in many cases . That 15-20 % more clubs have to pay which goes directly back into AFL coffers .
As an example of how quickly things have risen, it’s is alleged Keith Wellman was paid $12-14k per annum to administer the GVL . The cost for that in 2021 is likely to be $140k and I doubt you’d find any GVL club who believes they received greater administration in 2021 to that which Keith supplied .
Wouldn’t surprise me if GVL were the only league administered by AFLGM in 2022 or beyond, cost v benefits is not equally out .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back