Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Blues1977

All Australian
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
No names mate unfortunately. They believe they have the team to win it next year. An interesting aside was the mention that Ben Davey does the job for the love of it. He's a good operator Ben!

I've also heard he wasn't getting paid to lead the lions, it is great to hear isn't it. Pretty sure a few of their experienced players are also all about taking less pay to fit more talent in and build towards a premiership.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
More money than the Beatles!
Sounds like more quality players coming into the competition than we thought mate. Seymour could be the greatest threat of all based upon your information, as they were strong last year.

So long as the competition is strong I am happy. Still the big four with Rochy and the Cats trying to step up I reckon. The big four makes it more interesting at least.

Blues1977

All Australian
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Sounds like more quality players coming into the competition than we thought mate. Seymour could be the greatest threat of all based upon your information, as they were strong last year.

So long as the competition is strong I am happy. Still the big four with Rochy and the Cats trying to step up I reckon. The big four makes it more interesting at least.

Seymour: If they are full strength then watch out! But I think their season's story will be told based on their availblities of their stars. When they do and dont have them could paint the picture. Its always good to have some stars coming into the side but if they are in and out with VFL it can make things difficult.

Euroa: I see similar to Seymour at this stage. Full strength and they will be a power house with the inclusion of Hayes. However, I dont see them loosing many players week to week like Seymour so consistency in their side may be better then the Lions.

Echuca: Well they are always going to be strong. Some handy inclusions of Byrne & Reid will boost their stocks. I think they'll be the most consistent side throughout the season and may come under attack from Euroa & Seymour if they have strong sides in.

Ky: They still have some very strong and experienced players. If they are to go deep into September I see them potentially hitting straps in the back half of the season and hitting the finals with real momentum.

Just my opinion at the moment but as we know things change quite quickly in the GV!!!!!

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seymour: If they are full strength then watch out! But I think their season's story will be told based on their availblities of their stars. When they do and dont have them could paint the picture. Its always good to have some stars coming into the side but if they are in and out with VFL it can make things difficult.

Euroa: I see similar to Seymour at this stage. Full strength and they will be a power house with the inclusion of Hayes. However, I dont see them loosing many players week to week like Seymour so consistency in their side may be better then the Lions.

Echuca: Well they are always going to be strong. Some handy inclusions of Byrne & Reid will boost their stocks. I think they'll be the most consistent side throughout the season and may come under attack from Euroa & Seymour if they have strong sides in.

Ky: They still have some very strong and experienced players. If they are to go deep into September I see them potentially hitting straps in the back half of the season and hitting the finals with real momentum.

Just my opinion at the moment but as we know things change quite quickly in the GV!!!!!
Interesting to note Hayes trained at Carlton VFL last night. Byrne I believe is linked to Geelong VFL but I could be wrong.

Blues1977

All Australian
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Not a lot Coming in at Mooroopna Reckon they Might Struggle.

Interesting to hear however they do have the best coaching staff in the GV. Lamont Ex-VFL head coach & Ogier Ex-TAC head coach. Great credentials that for sure. If they can get a few and re-sign their list with good coaching I think they'll be around 5-7th.

Bush Fly

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting to hear however they do have the best coaching staff in the GV. Lamont Ex-VFL head coach & Ogier Ex-TAC head coach. Great credentials that for sure. If they can get a few and re-sign their list with good coaching I think they'll be around 5-7th.
So you think guys that have Coached at VFL & TAC level ( don't think either Coached Grand Finals at that level) are better GVFL Coaches than 3 time Premiership Coach Paul Newman & a guy like Andrew Walker who had an AFL Career? ( & lead Echuca to a GF?)

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
So you think guys that have Coached at VFL & TAC level ( don't think either Coached Grand Finals at that level) are better GVFL Coaches than 3 time Premiership Coach Paul Newman & a guy like Andrew Walker who had an AFL Career? ( & lead Echuca to a GF?)

Let’s be honest….more than half the challenge of coaching at our level is about tbe cattle you have to put on the park

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
So your saying go with the Coach that can Recruit best?

Well it’s not quite that simple but if you’ve got a bloke who can bring a number of quality players and is not a complete nutter then yeah. A high profile non playing coach who doesn’t bring anyone isn’t going to be able to do a whole lot in my opinion

Plenty of example of clubs going on multiple premiership runs that have had several coaches throughout that run. Not all of those coaches are amazing coaches but they had great cattle on tbe park

Last edited:

Retiredbattler

Debutant
Apr 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Damien Drum has announced that he is retiring from politics could we see him as the new AFLGM RGM .

Welcome to our new Region General Manager, Craig Armstead!

A message from Craig.

This week is my commencement in the Region General Manager role with AFL Central Vic. It is a very large region in both size and geography, with leagues and clubs who rightly boast rich and proud histories. I am very conscious of this, and are proud to be given the opportunity to help continue to successfully operate and grow our clubs and programs. Through personal and professional involvement, l understand local football and netball while appreciating there is much to learn about the leagues, clubs and people involved in AFL Central Vic. Having worked at elite/professional sports clubs, as well as in community sport, l am confident l can bring benefits to AFL Central Vic and all of our stakeholders (players, coaches, umpires, volunteers, administrators, partners, etc). With Christmas only weeks away there is limited time available this year, however l am really looking forward to meeting everyone in the new year.

My best wishes for a safe and enjoyable Christmas and New Year period with your family and friends. While the past 2 years have taught us all to never take anything for granted, nor assume what the future holds, we can all rightly look forward to more time on the netball courts and football fields in 2022. Community sport delivers so many benefits, and l can’t wait to be part of that in Central Victoria next year.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Welcome to our new Region General Manager, Craig Armstead!

A message from Craig.

This week is my commencement in the Region General Manager role with AFL Central Vic. It is a very large region in both size and geography, with leagues and clubs who rightly boast rich and proud histories. I am very conscious of this, and are proud to be given the opportunity to help continue to successfully operate and grow our clubs and programs. Through personal and professional involvement, l understand local football and netball while appreciating there is much to learn about the leagues, clubs and people involved in AFL Central Vic. Having worked at elite/professional sports clubs, as well as in community sport, l am confident l can bring benefits to AFL Central Vic and all of our stakeholders (players, coaches, umpires, volunteers, administrators, partners, etc). With Christmas only weeks away there is limited time available this year, however l am really looking forward to meeting everyone in the new year.

My best wishes for a safe and enjoyable Christmas and New Year period with your family and friends. While the past 2 years have taught us all to never take anything for granted, nor assume what the future holds, we can all rightly look forward to more time on the netball courts and football fields in 2022. Community sport delivers so many benefits, and l can’t wait to be part of that in Central Victoria next year.

Is he working for Afl central Vic? I thought your leagues were AFL Goulburn Murray or something similar?

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton

So is it fair to say.
The top 4 sides have improved on paper from the sides that ran out last year. ?

Blues1977

All Australian
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

Sorry mate. Realised I said "the best" instead of "one of" the best. Definitely not mate..... Just saying that Mooroopna have a really good coaching panel with a high level of experience being a VFL head coach. The coaching at a VFL level is well above that of a local level coach. However, coaching these days is about connection to the playing group which Paulo has in spades.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Walker and Newman would be good enough to coach at VFL/NAB league level. Walker has coached at AFL level previously in a Development Role.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
There's no simple solution is there to say what makes a good country coach, moama has never being the same, after Todd Viney, who was an AFL coach, but had no idea how to relate, communicate and get the best out of country blokes. Ian Fairley from north stuffed up Locky.

A big bug bear of mine is guys who would bring in recruits and take them everywhere, with never real success, I'm not sure that's good coaching.

You need a strong local core of players of 12-16 locals, good junior connections to come up and play, I think that's what Lamont is trying to achieve, rather than bringing in talent that leaves.

I still think mcguane is by far the best coach I've seen, I still wonder out and listen to most coaches, who just read stats off a white board now, they don't have a feel for the game or how to actually turn the game around, yet they anaylisis the game more than ever, by getting videos of the game each week, more meetings, or so I'm informed than before, yet if it's blowing a gale to one side, they have no idea, what side of the ground to use, they rarely throw players into different positions to try turn a game around.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's no simple solution is there to say what makes a good country coach, moama has never being the same, after Todd Viney, who was an AFL coach, but had no idea how to relate, communicate and get the best out of country blokes. Ian Fairley from north stuffed up Locky.

A big bug bear of mine is guys who would bring in recruits and take them everywhere, with never real success, I'm not sure that's good coaching.

You need a strong local core of players of 12-16 locals, good junior connections to come up and play, I think that's what Lamont is trying to achieve, rather than bringing in talent that leaves.

I still think mcguane is by far the best coach I've seen, I still wonder out and listen to most coaches, who just read stats off a white board now, they don't have a feel for the game or how to actually turn the game around, yet they anaylisis the game more than ever, by getting videos of the game each week, more meetings, or so I'm informed than before, yet if it's blowing a gale to one side, they have no idea, what side of the ground to use, they rarely throw players into different positions to try turn a game around.

Unfortunately Trent most coaches don't get the PD opportunities they need to get better. They have learnt off coaches they played under who had coached at the club previously. Ongoing PD and a good mentoring system are needed and from people outside the club they are coaching.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unfortunately Trent most coaches don't get the PD opportunities they need to get better. They have learnt off coaches they played under who had coached at the club previously. Ongoing PD and a good mentoring system are needed and from people outside the club they are coaching.

Please old mate don’t take this question the wrong way as you know what I think of you…but you are also more qualified than most to answer it….how much can pd and mentoring and upskllikng of country footy coaches impact weekend results?

Back