Goulburn Valley FL 2022

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The issue is IMO, if a player or players at a club have Covid then I would think there would need to be some type of testing. I could be wrong but I cannot see any other way forward.
The great man ScoMo will surely break the shackles and make the RAT test free for all Australians, no matter their economic status, as clearly he has analysed the potential effects of current policy on community sport.

Oh wait, hold my beer ....

Bootz36

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
In another 3 months most of us will have had covid and battled through (hopefully) or been in contact with it and survived without any noticeable issues.
(I’ve been waiting 8 days for my test result, 9 days with symptoms. )
If a player fudges a RAT test this will have little impact except on themselves and team, as either they will be fit to play or not. There is no way they would be fit to play with what I’ve gone through lately! But my mates don’t call me Ormee for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
In another 3 months most of us will have had covid and battled through (hopefully) or been in contact with it and survived without any noticeable issues.
If a player fudges a RAT test this will have little impact except on themselves and team, as either they will be fit to play or not. There is no way they would be fit to play with what I’ve gone through lately! But my mates don’t call me Ormee for no reason.

When I got my pcr result I got a flurry of messages to say I needed to quarantine for 7 days and it stated the date I needed to quarantine . The date I needed to quarantine was 4 days prior to the date I received the test . 😂 😂

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood

Approximately 200 AFL players have Covid. No way they could play this weekend if it was required. Going to be a lot of debutants this season at this rate.

Blues1977

All Australian
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Approximately 200 AFL players have Covid. No way they could play this weekend if it was required. Going to be a lot of debutants this season at this rate.

That’s a large number of players isn’t it. Agree though, I think we will see lots of AFL debutants as well as top line local footballers be called up to play VFL footy when VFL sides have Covid related number issues. That’ll also promote more debutants in local senior footy I reckon.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
200 of 720 ish so roughly 27 % .I’d guess that number has doubled in the last 10 days , doesn’t include those that have recovered and will at least double in the next 10 days . So in 10 days it’s not unreasonable to think somewhere near 60% of all players will have had covid . Which will probably be in line with the broader community . Fast forward another 10 days and we could be looking at well over ‘herd immunity ‘ the end goal .

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
The two AFL teams that will be hardest hit by Covid will be the Eagles and Dockers.

Wouldn’t bank on them making finals with the currant rules.

They don’t know what Covid is over there.

Not one player has had it.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
The two AFL teams that will be hardest hit by Covid will be the Eagles and Dockers.

Wouldn’t bank on them making finals with the currant rules.

They don’t know what Covid is over there.

Not one player has had it.
Maybe if the dockers get short of players and staff, they could use their gv connection, you've got Connelly, drum and Barlow as the coaching group, followed by throwing Mello a lifeline at full forward, with Marcus drum and Ryley Dunn as reserve players, easy fix post 🤣

Mar 18, 2008
Goulburn Valley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Texas Longhorns
200 of 720 ish so roughly 27 % .I’d guess that number has doubled in the last 10 days , doesn’t include those that have recovered and will at least double in the next 10 days . So in 10 days it’s not unreasonable to think somewhere near 60% of all players will have had covid . Which will probably be in line with the broader community . Fast forward another 10 days and we could be looking at well over ‘herd immunity ‘ the end goal .
Agree with this.

By the time round one rolls around, I would imagine a majority of AFL listed players will have contracted and recovered from COVID. Victorian Department of Health projects this wave to peak in early-to-mid February.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree with this.

By the time round one rolls around, I would imagine a majority of AFL listed players will have contracted and recovered from COVID. Victorian Department of Health projects this wave to peak in early-to-mid February.
Agree with this.

Agree with this.

I'm not so sure, Western Bulldogs AFLW side might have to forfeit this weekend. Plenty are getting the virus a second time.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not so sure, Western Bulldogs AFLW side might have to forfeit this weekend. Plenty are getting the virus a second time.
Yep if games were being played ATM it would be pretty tough and more so unlikely . I understand Vic Government’s health department yesterday wound back the expected peak to late January early Feb whereas as Tucky pointed out they were predicting mid to late Feb .?
People can get it multiple times however people with a uncompromised immune system build immunity so that when re-catching the symptoms are less severe as is the contagious period reduced .

Mar 18, 2008
Goulburn Valley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Texas Longhorns
What are you not so sure about mate? That most players will have contracted and recovered by season's start, or that this wave is likely to peak in February?

Unfortunately the AFLW season and Omicron have coincided at a really unfortunate time.
These women's players you're talking about - are they contracting the virus a second time after having COVID prior to Omicron? (ie, the original COVID, Delta). Because if so, this is no surprise and is happening to many people. An individual's immunological response to one strain does not necessarily protect them from subsequent strains.

Surely AFLW has accounted/scheduled for the occasional forfeited/postponed game?

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
What are you not so sure about mate? That most players will have contracted and recovered by season's start, or that this wave is likely to peak in February?

Unfortunately the AFLW season and Omicron have coincided at a really unfortunate time.
These women's players you're talking about - are they contracting the virus a second time after having COVID prior to Omicron? (ie, the original COVID, Delta). Because if so, this is no surprise and is happening to many people. An individual's immunological response to one strain does not necessarily protect them from subsequent strains.

Is there likely to be a new strain of covid by April, does anyone if you need to isolate for 7 days if it's the 2nd or 3rd time you catch covid

Surely AFLW has accounted/scheduled for the occasional forfeited/postponed game?

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm not sure that there is any herd immunity etc. Mate I just think this is a run away train atm and restrictions are slowly being reintroduced. Apologies for being negative but its becoming more real.

Mar 18, 2008
Goulburn Valley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Texas Longhorns
I'm not sure that there is any herd immunity etc. Mate I just think this is a run away train atm and restrictions are slowly being reintroduced. Apologies for being negative but its becoming more real.
I don't really think long-term herd immunity is achievable the way people think it might be either. However what is proven, is that once a person contracts and recovers from the current strains of COVID, it is highly unlikely they will catch it again for at least a couple of months.

As long as clubs and players continue to do their absolute best in minimising exposure and impacts of the virus, I don't think this season will be a train wreck. As I said, I would hope the AFL/AFLW/local leagues have implemented contingencies for if and when a game needs to be postponed due to an excessive number of players becoming unavailable after being exposed.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
The great man ScoMo will surely break the shackles and make the RAT test free for all Australians, no matter their economic status, as clearly he has analysed the potential effects of current policy on community sport.

Oh wait, hold my beer ....
All been thought of Silver.
241294185_10158080679346771_7944523811438492618_n.jpg

Bootz36

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Any football news on this GV thread
Best recruit
Biggest slider?
Biggest improver?
Who’s gunna win it ?

Billy Barnes will be up among the best recruits Swoopin. An absolute gun!
Biggest slider perhaps Shepp United or Tat!
Biggest improver maybe Mooroopna.
Echuca have to be pre-season favourites with Omicron a good outside bet to steal the show…. Unfortunately.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Billy Barnes will be up among the best recruits Swoopin. An absolute gun!
Biggest slider perhaps Shepp United or Tat!
Biggest improver maybe Mooroopna.
Echuca have to be pre-season favourites with Omicron a good outside bet to steal the show…. Unfortunately.

Good discussion.

Best recruit: I'm saying Doug Wren back to Rochy. How many B&F's can he win?
Slider: Benalla
Improver: Mooroopna looked well drilled last year.
Favorite: Euroa or Seymour. Let's say Euroa.

Bush Fly

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good discussion.

Best Recruit: if Will Hayes lands at Euroa which appears to be on the cards it will be him by the Flemington Straight. Improver/s: Mansfield and Mooroopna both look to have upside. Mansfield were a bit limited up forward but had a pretty solid side and have added a few. Slider: Well it will be United they Won 4 of 11 this year it looks set to be more 0 or 1 out of 18.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good discussion.

He would be a chance to add to his trophy cabinet tongue Whats Rochys chances for a top 4 finish mate. I’m personally looking forward in watching some real good GV footy this year especially with the likes of Echuca/ Seymour/ Euroa/ Kyabram looking really good and hopefullyi improvement in Mansfield/ Rochy /Benalla mooroopna/ Shepp will be better / swans also I think tatura and and certainly United bottom 2 rungs

Blues1977

All Australian
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Louis Pinnuck lands at Seymour as per their social media account. I don't know the fella but from what they have said his played plenty of VFL footy & has been on AFL radar over the past few seasons. Another good signing for Seymour but doubt we would see him in lions colours if his a VFL regular.

In saying that, if the VFL falls through with omicron week to week then that could see players coming back to the GV... if the GV is still up and running when the VFL isn't.. big IF.

Blues1977

All Australian
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Any football news on this GV thread
Best recruit
Biggest slider?
Biggest improver?
Who’s gunna win it ?

Best recruit: Michael Hartley & Will Hayes (Whoever plays the most games out of the two!) Another smokey would be Angus Byrne.. Not a recruit but been out injured for a while now... IF his fit and firing he would basically be a recruit for Echuca and could have a real impact on their season.

Biggest slider: Shepp United

Biggest improver: Mansfield for mine. Well coached under Chad Owens and they'll be better off with another preseason under his guidance and game plane. Added in a few players too from all reports.

Who is gunna win it? Echuca V Euroa..... Echuca!

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Louis Pinnuck lands at Seymour as per their social media account. I don't know the fella but from what they have said his played plenty of VFL footy & has been on AFL radar over the past few seasons. Another good signing for Seymour but doubt we would see him in lions colours if his a VFL regular.

In saying that, if the VFL falls through with omicron week to week then that could see players coming back to the GV... if the GV is still up and running when the VFL isn't.. big IF.
Louis is a highly regarded VFL player for Werribee and was invited to the draft combine a couple of years ago. Initially unlucky not to have been drafted in his final year of NAB. Generally plays back and is as hard as a cats head. Four byes in the VFL so he could play a few for the Lions. I'd expect Werribee to be playing finals footy.

Back