Goulburn Valley FL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

There you go. Their list is shaping up well but wouldn't put it ahead of a full strength Euroa at this stage would you? I don't see them with the experience come big games as of yet. Would Ben Davey be the main force behind all this recruiting? Some great pick ups the last few years for the lions, his done very well if so.
Euroa just in front in my opinion but a Seymour full side would be great viewing. You’d think is mainly Bens doing. Interesting to see how the VFL boys fit in points wise as well..

Spoke to some Seymour fellas who said Pinnuck will be only be at The Den when not playing with Werribee. Scary list at the lions. Feel for the bottom 6-8 in each side who are dropped/miss out when the VFL boys are available.
I reckon its up to those 6-8 to work their bums off, play well and consolidate a spot. Players pick themselves.

Keep it up fellas it’s so refreshing talking footy again There’s been a fair bit of discussion on gun recruits. Shepps coach and 2018 premiership player and captain Ted linden is another that I reckon will produce some really good footy I think the bears will be a little better than what most think

Keep it up fellas it’s so refreshing talking footy again There’s been a fair bit of discussion on gun recruits. Shepps coach and 2018 premiership player and captain Ted linden is another that I reckon will produce some really good footy I think the bears will be a little better than what most think
It's interesting Swoop as Euroa and Seymour appear to be adding players regularly. We haven't heard about Echuca much or Kyabram ...

Does anyone know what Mansfield and Benalla are doing? The outer eastern region of the competition is very quiet.

It's interesting Swoop as Euroa and Seymour appear to be adding players regularly. We haven't heard about Echuca much or Kyabram ...

Does anyone know what Mansfield and Benalla are doing? The outer eastern region of the competition is very quiet.

Benalla reported to have lost some plus some of there recruits piling the pin I had heard?

Hutchins will be a great inclusion for Mansfield

Are you sure about the current management 'Fly? Massive player exodus. I have heard contradictory reports, but you probably
Silver, playing stocks wise they are under pressure but they have a full board plus a number of committee members to help lead their administration. Roar is very defensive of outgoing President Matthew Chillcott and it's true his Committee led them out of deep debt but that doesn't mean the current board aren't capable of doing a good job too.

Silver, playing stocks wise they are under pressure but they have a full board plus a number of committee members to help lead their administration. Roar is very defensive of outgoing President Matthew Chillcott and it's true his Committee led them out of deep debt but that doesn't mean the current board aren't capable of doing a good job too.
I would think most clubs have a full board to do admin?

Why did there need to be such a large turnover on the previous board?

No one's going to turn up and watch them get beaten by 20 goals each week, won't that create further debt and less interest in Shepp about them?

Then they have the problem of trying to entice players to the club, to turn it around

I would think most clubs have a full board to do admin?

Why did there need to be such a large turnover on the previous board?

No one's going to turn up and watch them get beaten by 20 goals each week, won't that create further debt and less interest in Shepp about them?

Then they have the problem of trying to entice players to the club, to turn it around
I initially replied to United being in trouble on & off the field. My opinion is that with a Full admin line up and no debt they should be ok. In regards to the plight of the Senior team and attracting ppl through the gates it's not ideal but they have 4 Football teams & I think it's 4 Netball where Family & Friends pay to come through the Gate to watch the action so I think they could get by. They also a Good Friday game with the Bears which is a social event with people catching up that annually pulls a big crowd. United for many years has had a Businessman theme where a few tip in generously. As mentioned previously United has long been the most popular pick for kids to play amongst the Shepp Clubs. Played in 16 Grand Finals since the Mid 80's in the 3rds I think the Stat is. I don't see United folding but stranger things have happened.

Euroa just in front in my opinion but a Seymour full side would be great viewing. You’d think is mainly Bens doing. Interesting to see how the VFL boys fit in points wise as well..

Totally forgot about the points system..... That may trouble the lions... Lets say Pinnuck for example plays every game at Werribee and doesn't feature for the lions this season. Does that mean next year he will drop a point in the points system? Or do you need to represent the club rather than just sign for them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally forgot about the points system..... That may trouble the lions... Lets say Pinnuck for example plays every game at Werribee and doesn't feature for the lions this season. Does that mean next year he will drop a point in the points system? Or do you need to represent the club rather than just sign for them?
Players have to play 5 games a season to be eligible for a points deduction. Not sure if this is applicable to VFL players who play however, if you recruit a 3 pointer from the O&M for example and he goes down injured after two games he's still a 3 pointer.

Benalla in all sorts if the recent post on their Facebook page is anything to go by
Just read it! Seems like a meeting will be held regarding the viability of the club moving forward and they are in crisis mode. A disaster for the league, town, region and football in general if the Saints collapse. If Goulburn Valley League clubs are on the verge of extinction then we really do have major issues.

Just read it! Seems like a meeting will be held regarding the viability of the club moving forward and they are in crisis mode. A disaster for the league, town, region and football in general if the Saints collapse. If Goulburn Valley League clubs are on the verge of extinction then we really do have major issues.
That is terrible if true mate. If Benalla falls over in the GV then other clubs could easily follow.

That is terrible if true mate. If Benalla falls over in the GV then other clubs could easily follow.

From their FB page.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Benalla Saints are at a crossroads as we look toward season 2022. Our football sides have been decimated with an abnormal amount of off-season departures.
In normal circumstances we would expect to see some players leave through retirement, relocation for careers and that a number of players coming out of Under 18s and finishing school would leave town to attend university. Unfortunately this year we have had more than normal attrition,
  • Players moving to local community clubs
  • Movement to O&M clubs
  • Relocation - work & family
  • Players not willing to commit, unsure of playing post COVID
With high numbers of players leaving it is very hard to recruit players. Our coaches have been trying but unsuccessful to date. ��We have appointed co-coaches both locals, who we believe with their credentials as players and coaches in Victorian country football would set the club up for success into the future, building on solid performances over the past 8 years. Since the end of the shortened 2021 season, we have been actively seeking our players to recommit for 2022 after the past two covid affected seasons only to have them leave seeking change by playing in other leagues.
Many players who have left the club have made the comment I will be back in a year or two. Unfortunately, with our current situation the club may not be here for their return. Once a club is gone history tells us they do not come back, PLEASE do not sit back and say in a couple of years I should have gotten involved as it will be too late! We need players and we need them now!
Netball is in very similar position with many players yet to commit, we have two of arguably the best coaches in country league netball. Yet despite this we have struggled with numbers in all of our preseason sessions to date. This is disappointing as all players could be making the most of the coaches we have secured and developing their skills and experience and setting themselves up for success in 2022.
Off field over the past 5 years the Board/Committee have actively worked to secure the financial security and ongoing sustainability of the club. Saints have run a successful off-field program to ensure there are a variety of functions through the season to allow supporters and players to engage and participate and build a strong club community.
Benalla Saints hope that everyone reads this and understands from a member, player and volunteer point of view this is not the "Boy Crying Wolf". In the coming week we will be calling a meeting for all current & past players, families, supporters, sponsors and community members to ensure saints remain part of the Benalla Community for many years to come.
Please share around and if you would like to discuss how you can contribute and help us out please reach out to the Board and coaches.

From their FB page.
Thanks Aucklander,

So my immediate question is what is wrong with the club presently that might contribute to such a rapid demise for a town of this size? Is it Co-vid? Can't be that simple surely ... Sad to see, and I hope Benalla can rebuild after their extraordinary meeting.

Not from around the gv but it’s got me absolutely staggered that a town the size of Benalla can be struggling to field both footy and netball sides in a major league comp. Has to be more to it than Covid or players moving to Melbourne etc. I know that they played in the omfl back in the day but aren’t they geographically better suited to that league?

Thanks Aucklander,

So my immediate question is what is wrong with the club presently that might contribute to such a rapid demise for a town of this size? Is it Co-vid? Can't be that simple surely ... Sad to see, and I hope Benalla can rebuild after their extraordinary meeting.

Covid would play a small part thats for sure but no way in hell is it the main contributing factor to why people are leaving the club. Culture could play a huge role as a club with a great culture not only retains players but it has the ability to recruit new players due to the environment around the club.

Seems like a large portion of Benalla’s top 6 players (who were local boys) have moved on to other clubs. To me that shows something is wrong if local guns are walking out.

I hope the Saints can sort this out and get back on track ASAP.

United have wiped their Debt and the new President seems intelligent & a good operator plus they have a full Board in place. They are in a reasonable position off field I would have thought. I wonder about your posting as you come out & make statements with conviction across about 20 Leagues which no one would have the time to follow that closely I suspect.
Thanks for the feedback fly. Whilst your comments are somewhat accurate United is still in a fair bit of trouble.

In regards to your other feedback, let’s just say I am quite well connected in community footy and do also follow it very closely. I certainly refute your comment about the accuracy of my statements unlike others on the forums that post absolute tripe and inaccuracies.

Spoke to some Seymour fellas who said Pinnuck will be only be at The Den when not playing with Werribee. Scary list at the lions. Feel for the bottom 6-8 in each side who are dropped/miss out when the VFL boys are available.

Not correct Ultra, I’m told he will be playing there full time in 2022 due to a change in circumstances. Regardless, the lions will be very strong this year.

I reckon its up to those 6-8 to work their bums off, play well and consolidate a spot. Players pick themselves.
Great point Ringo but a VFL player is always going to be slotted in and send a regular out
Not correct Ultra, I’m told he will be playing there full time in 2022 due to a change in circumstances. Regardless, the lions will be very strong this year.
Let’s hope for the lions sake you’re right, but I spoke to Seymour players who were under the impression he was VFL first, plus the Werribee resigning post leans that way.

Covid would play a small part thats for sure but no way in hell is it the main contributing factor to why people are leaving the club. Culture could play a huge role as a club with a great culture not only retains players but it has the ability to recruit new players due to the environment around the club.

Seems like a large portion of Benalla’s top 6 players (who were local boys) have moved on to other clubs. To me that shows something is wrong if local guns are walking out.

I hope the Saints can sort this out and get back on track ASAP.
The majority of Benalla boys have stuck pretty loyal to the club, maybe mellington, Smith, rockliff and a few others head back. Seems pretty serious situation though

I think that a lot of their good players wanted a change of scenery, and have head to myrtleford, add that there's nothing for young guys in Benalla to stay, maybe some can't be bothered travelling etc, I may be a bit biased but they are pretty well run off the field since they've being in the gv

Remove this Banner Ad

Back