Goulburn Valley FL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

For the life of me I have no idea why people continue to do this crap online. Is he still a registered Ky player? If so, I'm not sure he is adding any value to the club. If Benalla go under then it affects the whole town in so many ways. From what I'm hearing the GV is almost two clubs down heading into the season.

I see there is an article saying Benalla are looking into moving back into the O&M. What would the reason be behind this & How does moving into that league get them to sign more players?

I see there is an article saying Benalla are looking into moving back into the O&M. What would the reason be behind this & How does moving into that league get them to sign more players?
Yeah I agree. If they can't get a side on the field the last place as a destination would be the O&M. The other option would be to merge with the All Blacks but I don't much background on the relationship between the two.

Yeah I agree. If they can't get a side on the field the last place as a destination would be the O&M. The other option would be to merge with the All Blacks but I don't much background on the relationship between the two.

Yeah if moving to the O&M was going to get players to stay then that doesn't make sense at all.... unless their players hate playing GV footy?... Odd.
It doesn't look good for the GV either having the leagues name on articles and media saying one of their clubs is struggling. Hope to god Benalla get work out a miracle.

Yeah if moving to the O&M was going to get players to stay then that doesn't make sense at all.... unless their players hate playing GV footy?... Odd.
It doesn't look good for the GV either having the leagues name on articles and media saying one of their clubs is struggling. Hope to god Benalla get work out a miracle.
Just make you wonder if they are really struggling or went the early crow with a Facebook post.
After finishing high on the ladder the last few years you would think they would push a few twos up and just ring everyone that has ever had contact with the club to put a reserves side on the park.
I know a Facebook post would by my last resort as desperation can be a bad thing as well when recruiting.
I would also be fighting right up to a couple of weeks before round 1 before even thinking of pulling the pin.
Half the clubs would be guessing lists at this time of year.

Just make you wonder if they are really struggling or went the early crow with a Facebook post.
After finishing high on the ladder the last few years you would think they would push a few twos up and just ring everyone that has ever had contact with the club to put a reserves side on the park.
I know a Facebook post would by my last resort as desperation can be a bad thing as well when recruiting.
I would also be fighting right up to a couple of weeks before round 1 before even thinking of pulling the pin.
Half the clubs would be guessing lists at this time of year.

Totally agree. Desperation via a Facebook post like that wouldn't be appealing to any potential gun recruits thats for sure.

I thought they moved away from the O&M because they couldn't compete with the traditional powerhouses so I wonder why a return to the league is seen as the attractive option from the perspective of the current administration?

However, i do recall their being chatter about a potential return to the O&M over the past two years ... this would seem an unusual means to achieve that objective.

With regards the unfortunate social media incident mentioned earlier ... was that the same bloke involved in the Reserves game incident v Benalla last year? Kyabram and Benalla have had an unfortunate history on social media since the Saints beat the Bombers in the 2015 GF.

Get rid of the Academies. Too many kids told they are not good enough at an age when they should be in it for the fun and development as a player and person. They become disillusioned with the game. Keep kids at their local clubs as much as possible. The longer the current system continues, the weaker country football is becoming.

Can’t agree with you more Ringo. Promising kids can show their skills playing against experienced men, with his local club in a strong league, better than against a group of similar aged kids in a school comp or in a state U18 use and abuse system!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

IIRC on winding up / removing Benalla’s junior footy league their sides were forced into a Wangaratta based comp . I suspect that has meant a number of their kids are then exposed and targeted by Wangaratta playing in the premier O&M. Re-joining the O&M may be seen as the only means of retaining their kids ??

I thought they moved away from the O&M because they couldn't compete with the traditional powerhouses so I wonder why a return to the league is seen as the attractive option from the perspective of the current administration?

However, i do recall their being chatter about a potential return to the O&M over the past two years ... this would seem an unusual means to achieve that objective.

With regards the unfortunate social media incident mentioned earlier ... was that the same bloke involved in the Reserves game incident v Benalla last year? Kyabram and Benalla have had an unfortunate history on social media since the Saints beat the Bombers in the 2015 GF.
I can't see a move to ovens and Murray turning the club around, they would lose the opportunity to grab O&m guys from Wang and myrtleford, as footy comes in swings and roundabouts, there's far less travel in the gv then o&m for Melbourne based players.

The problem is a bunch of their core players probably needed a change after just missing finals the last two years and they probably thought it'd be the same result finishing 7th again if they stayed after they missed on Waite and rockliff.

Remember it's the end of Jan, if you're getting 5 or 6 guys rock up for training it's going to be a long year, trying to find 15 other guys to play. Hopefully they'll get a side on the park, even if they have rocky Symes sit in the square for the year

Let's hope that it wasn't wild on social media, or ky need to show him the door

IIRC on winding up / removing Benalla’s junior footy league their sides were forced into a Wangaratta based comp . I suspect that has meant a number of their kids are then exposed and targeted by Wangaratta playing in the premier O&M. Re-joining the O&M may be seen as the only means of retaining their kids ??

Agree. A lot of Benalla kids go to school in Wang too.

And with the population growth Nth East. It may well be a bigger pool to attract players.

Chasing players out of Melbourne puts a lot more kms on cars.
Maybe going back to the OM s a positive option.

Agree. A lot of Benalla kids go to school in Wang too.

And with the population growth Nth East. It may well be a bigger pool to attract players.

Chasing players out of Melbourne puts a lot more kms on cars.
Maybe going back to the OM s a positive option.

This was 10 years ago approx, but unless things has drastically changed, I'd think Benalla are still more aligned to Shepp than Albury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was 10 years ago approx, but unless things has drastically changed, I'd think Benalla are still more aligned to Shepp than Albury
A pay wall there Trent. What did he say?

I can't see a move to ovens and Murray turning the club around, they would lose the opportunity to grab O&m guys from Wang and myrtleford, as footy comes in swings and roundabouts, there's far less travel in the gv then o&m for Melbourne based players.

The problem is a bunch of their core players probably needed a change after just missing finals the last two years and they probably thought it'd be the same result finishing 7th again if they stayed after they missed on Waite and rockliff.

Remember it's the end of Jan, if you're getting 5 or 6 guys rock up for training it's going to be a long year, trying to find 15 other guys to play. Hopefully they'll get a side on the park, even if they have rocky Symes sit in the square for the year

I would like to think it was a fake account with a so called mate thinking he was being hilarious. Definitely not helpful.

What happened on social media after the 2015 GF?

Wangaratta Have under 17's in their Junior comp which I don't think helps the situation since Benalla joined there there has only been 1 Under 18 team in the Benalla District, where the benalla comp use to support 2 teams in Benalla and also Violet Town at various times

What was posted ?

Yep, Benalla have lost their status of being ‘central’ with their junior comp absorbed and the splitting of both the Tungamah and Benalla Leagues. It’s has become an outlier on the map now.

Violet Town have also struggled for U18s. The Ovens & King (All-Blacks & Goorambat) had amalgamated juniors for a while, but I think they may even be gone now too.

Yep, Benalla have lost their status of being ‘central’ with their junior comp absorbed and the splitting of both the Tungamah and Benalla Leagues. It’s has become an outlier on the map now.

Violet Town have also struggled for U18s. The Ovens & King (All-Blacks & Goorambat) had amalgamated juniors for a while, but I think they may even be gone now too.

With their juniors not aligned to the senior club it becomes a retention issue. Not having a university in the area doesn't help the region either . The next question is ; How does then affect Mansfield if Benalla topple over? They become very isolated geographically from the rest of the GV.

Junior footy structures causing issues everywhere at the moment. Is there still talk of rochy wanting to join the Bendigo junior footy comp?
With their juniors not aligned to the senior club it becomes a retention issue. Not having a university in the area doesn't help the region either . The next question is ; How does then affect Mansfield if Benalla topple over? They become very isolated geographically from the rest of the GV.
Wouldn’t surprise if both clubs join Benalla in leaving the GVL within the next 5 years .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back