Goulburn Valley General Thread 2011- 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ky situation I think highlights an interesting point. 12 players leave the club from 2011 and so they play the locals. Credit to the club and no complaints from the local community for giving local boys the opportunity. Finished 7th and have potential with a great crop of thirds kids coming through to develop good local talent long term. General consensus amongst the GVFL footy community well done and the way to go.
This year they recruit Seddon, good footballer but as a quality person to have around a club???? And 2 others sight unseen on the heresay of who?? Seddon??? Sign Atkins who left in 2012 because of the travel and ended up playing with a club 38k's the other side of Ky for more money????
Likely to have sheldons x2 so where does this leave the locals who supported the club in 2012 when the high flyiers left? Possibly playing 2's and becoming disenchanted. I think this shows a lake of proper planning by Ky. Sure Atkins is a local and don't get me wrong , a terrific player, but I would like to think he has returned to the club on Ky's terms and not his. So what about looking after the local kids who played their guts out last year? Ogden is still being talked about at Golden Square, surely he his better trying to keep with the likes if Coulstock, ciaverella,dillon, ryan ect then blokes who turn up on Sat play and leave with their pockets full. Maybe I'm just too cynical!!!

The Ky situation I think highlights an interesting point. 12 players leave the club from 2011 and so they play the locals. Credit to the club and no complaints from the local community for giving local boys the opportunity. Finished 7th and have potential with a great crop of thirds kids coming through to develop good local talent long term. General consensus amongst the GVFL footy community well done and the way to go.
This year they recruit Seddon, good footballer but as a quality person to have around a club???? And 2 others sight unseen on the heresay of who?? Seddon??? Sign Atkins who left in 2012 because of the travel and ended up playing with a club 38k's the other side of Ky for more money????
Likely to have sheldons x2 so where does this leave the locals who supported the club in 2012 when the high flyiers left? Possibly playing 2's and becoming disenchanted. I think this shows a lake of proper planning by Ky. Sure Atkins is a local and don't get me wrong , a terrific player, but I would like to think he has returned to the club on Ky's terms and not his. So what about looking after the local kids who played their guts out last year? Ogden is still being talked about at Golden Square, surely he his better trying to keep with the likes if Coulstock, ciaverella,dillon, ryan ect then blokes who turn up on Sat play and leave with their pockets full. Maybe I'm just too cynical!!!

totally agree atkins and sheldon good footballers but used up nathalia for a fair amount of cash ok they won a flag but only staying 1 year pretty poor

totally agree atkins and sheldon good footballers but used up nathalia for a fair amount of cash ok they won a flag but only staying 1 year pretty poor

why is that poor in todays day and age? seriously its like a job and if you can advance your career at another company you move. I get the loyaly aspect and culture aspect but times are a changing and people who love the club, love the club, the character of the club and its culture dont change because one individual (or a couple) come and go. If the character and culture change then the club has far BIGGER issues! just my thoughts for what it is worth

Hey Guys - Check out the just released IPhone and IPad APP that allows you to create and share your very own designed Football jumpers... It is called Footy Jumpa. Get on there and have a look, and you are more than welcome to leave some feedback on additional designs and colours, or even just upload your designs for us to have a look at on the Footy Jumpa facebook page!!

self promotion = POOR FORM!

I can assure you Tom is a ripping bloke! If someone offered me a truckload of money to teach at another school, coach another footy club etc, I'd be neglectful not to think about it. Both parties won out from the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what league you have been following buddy but I'll fill you in on how the Gvl works. Firstly no teams win the premiership with a team containing 100% locals, they recruit and they spend money to compliment there home grown players. Ky clearly have a good bunch of young talented locals so why not give those locals a chance at some real success by recruiting some quality players. The young ones can only benefit from playing with these guys and those who become fringe players should relish the challenge of trying to break into a top gv side.
Why knock a club for striving for some success, tat did it perfectly last year.

U

Used up nathalia? Yeah they were paid players, but both were very influential in the purples premiership. Win win situation I would think.

I can see some logic to the argument here as I think the question is are you better off having success as a playing group short term or a strong club which the community continually follows. Do they go hand in hand? Euroa cant attract players because unless they throw a truck load of cash at someone why would you go and get thumped every week? But in saying that has Echuca progressed playing alot of younger kids last year and my answer would be yes. Do they need to recruit 6 senior players. Maybe, maybe not. If they recruited 6 players would some of the younger kids go back to playing 2nds football and do you get development or disenchantment that as a local there isn't a position for you as a paid player has taken your spot from last year. In 12 months time this is why these guys leave and play in lesser leagues and wont come back. The younger kids will only improve and remember they may give you 10-12 years of service at VERY little cost.
I think its a very line of balance as most of the smaller towns and clubs really rely on locals to make the club strong and without the support your club doesnt get memerbership, sponsorship or loyal followers at every game.
I think a strong club is always the outcome wanted and the players and winning of games will soon follow.

It's an interesting question, because 10 or even 5 years ago clubs tht go out and buy a premiship r often frowned apon and in the following 5 years often struggle. for example tat and euroa in the mid 2000s but in this day and age it is getting more and more obvious tht unless u spend a huge amount of money u r arnt likely to win a premiship, so what do u do, hold back on the money and develop a lot of locals or splurge out and buy players and ultimately lose a lot of handy locals???

Steady up tiger. What this mis informed diatribe about bloked turning up on Sat and leaving with their pockets full in reference to Ogden and chance that he may play at and Golden Square. Fact is Square dont pay the excessive money that heaps proclaim they do, havent got it to pay, obviously do pay but not in any ridiculous over the top way, but sense you off beam to suggest to they are "blokes who turn up on Sat play and leave with their pockets full", in reference to Square. What they have done is set a definitive winning culture in which they vast amount of players play for amounts below what they could get alsewhere to achieve unprecedented success. Success in a league which does not have depth of GVFL, but tidy nonetheless. Not sure but reckon they havent lost to a GVFL side for years in pre season games including a couple of games (Premiers Plate v Shepp at Deakin under lights comes to mind) which were anything but practice matches.

Steady up tiger. What this mis informed diatribe about bloked turning up on Sat and leaving with their pockets full in reference to Ogden and chance that he may play at and Golden Square. Fact is Square dont pay the excessive money that heaps proclaim they do, havent got it to pay, obviously do pay but not in any ridiculous over the top way, but sense you off beam to suggest to they are "blokes who turn up on Sat play and leave with their pockets full", in reference to Square. What they have done is set a definitive winning culture in which they vast amount of players play for amounts below what they could get alsewhere to achieve unprecedented success. Success in a league which does not have depth of GVFL, but tidy nonetheless. Not sure but reckon they havent lost to a GVFL side for years in pre season games including a couple of games (Premiers Plate v Shepp at Deakin under lights comes to mind) which were anything but practice matches.
Any news out of m,pna with recruits?? Surely they will unleash something over the next weeks wouldnt they... Got told the swans are also close to snagging an ex afl delisted player from the hawks this year!

Any news out of m,pna with recruits?? Surely they will unleash something over the next weeks wouldnt they... Got told the swans are also close to snagging an ex afl delisted player from the hawks this year!
Stay tuned marcopolo!! Shaping up alright

At a guess if from Hawthorn and delisted maybe Adam Pattison the ruckman ex richmond and St Kilda or Broc Maculey a ruckman as well. Think Schneider was delisted but is training at AFL club at present and only Jarred Boumann left but think he committed to Frankston VFL.

So Pattison to replace Blake or is Blake also returning?

At a guess if from Hawthorn and delisted maybe Adam Pattison the ruckman ex richmond and St Kilda or Broc Maculey a ruckman as well. Think Schneider was delisted but is training at AFL club at present and only Jarred Boumann left but think he committed to Frankston VFL.

So Pattison to replace Blake or is Blake also returning?
Think you misread GG, Marcopolo said the ex-hawk was close to going to the Swans. (Blake is staying at the Cats, unless he gets drafted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back