Baysixer

Debutant
Nov 28, 2012
Yinnar are pure failure!
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boolarra's flag defence LOL
not enough bites on the MFL thread to keep your little mind entertained Baysixer?!;)
Aren't I allowed to support more than one team??o_O Cobram and Seymour have alot in common...basically they're all full of legends and opposition teams are just wasting their time playing them :):thumbsu: Sorry for having an interest in local footy mate!!:footy:

Lets all point and laugh at Hank1's failure of a wallpost.

johnnymossop

Senior List
Feb 16, 2012
Toorak
AFL Club
GWS
Go to the games. Tat v Shep compared to Albury v Wang. About the same spots on the ladder last year. Totally different skill level and intensity. South Barwon v St Marys same again. Not that difficult.

Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
Go to the games. Tat v Shep compared to Albury v Wang. About the same spots on the ladder last year. Totally different skill level and intensity. South Barwon v St Marys same again. Not that difficult.

Maybe you caught the GVFL game on a shitty day and the others on a good day?

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
Hows the league looking for 2013...still the best in Victoria! :)
Looks we're gonna go undefeated at Seymour, A graders right through the list.
Xavier 'the beast' McMahon has been tracking well, expect him to crunch a few bodies in the ruck this year. :thumbsu: Also Will 'Vladimir' Brock is set for a big year coming up from the under 18's. It'll be like having Mumford and Sandilands in the one team :thumbsu:

Euroa a pure failure!!

Ha ha Baysixer has got plenty of threads firing up ..... thought you were a Kilmore fella according to a similar toned post over our RDFL thread???

not enough bites on the MFL thread to keep your little mind entertained Baysixer?!;)

The boys been on fire on the Mid Gippy one too mate, as well as potting the ACK coach (Scott Wynd) on the AGSV thread. Very strong ACK tone to it all, but surely someone with your powers has already had a glance behind the scenes for an email address from joining, or the server he's firing from ;)

gvfl69

Debutant
Dec 2, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Johnnytossa I know I'm not the most loved writer on here but that post would have to be the death of you...GVFL sitting under all the other leagues, you are a goose mate! We will win our fourth title this year mate, Im going to request that we play the VFL rep side as its getting boring smashing all the other leagues...

carry on johnnytossa

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

johnnymossop,
you have certainly stirred the pot here..... IMO, the Ovens Murray league, has been for years, and still has, the best overall standard.I do not doubt that the standard of the GVFL, Geelong, EDFL,MPFL are not far behind.
When it comes to rep games, well these are a little misleading, for when did you see a league fielding their top 25 players... all leagues have a percentage of these top players not playing in the rep side because of injury, or simply because they dont want to play in these games .. thus declare themselves unavailable.Also, these rep games and wanting to win the converted title also comes down to the league heirachy, and each clubs heirachy as to giving a committment to success,,,, and credit to the GVFL, as all parties appear to have this commitmment, hence their success over the past few years.
Dreaming here, but If you could have a competition straight after seasons end ( which is not possible) It would be interesting to see, say the Premiers of these major leagues play each other,,, then say 4th place from these leagues play each other , then say 6th, 8th, and the wooden sponners play each other.This would then give a true picture of the overall standards of a league, to a good degree.
Once again, IMO, the Ovens and Murray league would come out on top.
anyway,all in good spirit... good conversation.

BarkyBoy

Debutant
Nov 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
johnnymossop,
you have certainly stirred the pot here..... IMO, the Ovens Murray league, has been for years, and still has, the best overall standard.I do not doubt that the standard of the GVFL, Geelong, EDFL,MPFL are not far behind.
When it comes to rep games, well these are a little misleading, for when did you see a league fielding their top 25 players... all leagues have a percentage of these top players not playing in the rep side because of injury, or simply because they dont want to play in these games .. thus declare themselves unavailable.Also, these rep games and wanting to win the converted title also comes down to the league heirachy, and each clubs heirachy as to giving a committment to success,,,, and credit to the GVFL, as all parties appear to have this commitmment, hence their success over the past few years.
Dreaming here, but If you could have a competition straight after seasons end ( which is not possible) It would be interesting to see, say the Premiers of these major leagues play each other,,, then say 4th place from these leagues play each other , then say 6th, 8th, and the wooden sponners play each other.This would then give a true picture of the overall standards of a league, to a good degree.
Once again, IMO, the Ovens and Murray league would come out on top.
anyway,all in good spirit... good conversation.

Don't agree, GV would win majority especially thus year. Tell O & M to pull their finger out and stop using excuses. GV had a s**t load out too most years but still good enough to get the job done. End of story

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don't agree, GV would win majority especially thus year. Tell O & M to pull their finger out and stop using excuses. GV had a s**t load out too most years but still good enough to get the job done. End of story
Barkyboy,
dont think you read my post properly and where I was coming from.

Blueboy67

All Australian
May 10, 2012
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Ha ha Baysixer has got plenty of threads firing up ..... thought you were a Kilmore fella according to a similar toned post over our RDFL thread???

The boys been on fire on the Mid Gippy one too mate, as well as potting the ACK coach (Scott Wynd) on the AGSV thread. Very strong ACK tone to it all, but surely someone with your powers has already had a glance behind the scenes for an email address from joining, or the server he's firing from ;)
Hearing you Doona, that Baysixer is a spanker and should not be given the time of day. Good luck with the Kilmore Blues this year mate.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Barkyboy,
dont think you read my post properly and where I was coming from.
Still maintain my opinion, and that is the Ovens and Murray comp is the best comp in the state, outside of AFL and VFL.And poster, Johnny Mossop, VCFL consultant, attends games at all leagues and should be a very good judge .I played O@M for many years in the 1980s and 1990s,
and over the past few years have seen a number of O@M games and a few GVFL games. I came down and watched the grand finals for both comps(2012) and imo, the O@M , was clearly a higher standard of footy.No disrespect to the GVFL, its a very good standard comp.

Tatsean

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2007
Tatura
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tatura Bulldogs
Still maintain my opinion, and that is the Ovens and Murray comp is the best comp in the state, outside of AFL and VFL.And poster, Johnny Mossop, VCFL consultant, attends games at all leagues and should be a very good judge .I played O@M for many years in the 1980s and 1990s,
and over the past few years have seen a number of O@M games and a few GVFL games. I came down and watched the grand finals for both comps(2012) and imo, the O@M , was clearly a higher standard of footy.No disrespect to the GVFL, its a very good standard comp.
Comparing the two is always hard depending on what teams you see play and how that game is played....I also watched both Grand Finals and though the GVFL grandfinal had less scoring, less flowing play and less fights than the O&M GF, it had much more defensive pressure across the entire ground. So It is like comparing the Sydney Swans/West Coast GF's a few years back to the Hawk/Cats in 1989. I think overall the GVFL is a stronger comp and it will be even better again this year with the recruiting of Echuca, Kyabram and Shep Swans, so there maybe 8 or 9 teams pushing for the top 3 spots in the GV this year....surely you can't say that about the O&M.

kwhit

Team Captain
Mar 17, 2011
brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Comparing the two is always hard depending on what teams you see play and how that game is played....I also watched both Grand Finals and though the GVFL grandfinal had less scoring, less flowing play and less fights than the O&M GF, it had much more defensive pressure across the entire ground. So It is like comparing the Sydney Swans/West Coast GF's a few years back to the Hawk/Cats in 1989. I think overall the GVFL is a stronger comp and it will be even better again this year with the recruiting of Echuca, Kyabram and Shep Swans, so there maybe 8 or 9 teams pushing for the top 3 spots in the GV this year....surely you can't say that about the O&M.

The o&m crowd are a very proud mob! I am yet to meet one who doesn't regard it as the best comp in country footy. However I would like to hear the opinion of a couple top liners who have played in both comps over the past couple of years? Other than that I think it is a very difficult argument to have seeing the gvfl has won the past three rep games. And you can only be judged on the calibre of the players rep the comp IMO. If you want the title of being the best, put a side on the park that can get the job done! Then you can blow your trumpet all you like.

T.Perry

All Australian
Oct 26, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Rushy Tigers
I've played in both leagues but obviously a long way from being a front liner in either comp & I don't think there's a lot of difference to be honest, a good O&M player will play well in the GV & vice versa. Agree with an earlier post that having 8-9 competitive teams (in the GV) is a much better outcome than having 2 teams (yarra & Albury) completely dominate & odds on to play off for the 5th year in a row.
Height & Murray's opinion will be interesting come seasons end, 2 genuine GV superstars playing in a mediocre O&M side.

Blueboy67

All Australian
May 10, 2012
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
I've played in both leagues but obviously a long way from being a front liner in either comp & I don't think there's a lot of difference to be honest, a good O&M player will play well in the GV & vice versa. Agree with an earlier post that having 8-9 competitive teams (in the GV) is a much better outcome than having 2 teams (yarra & Albury) completely dominate & odds on to play off for the 5th year in a row.
Height & Murray's opinion will be interesting come seasons end, 2 genuine GV superstars playing in a mediocre O&M side.
You are spot on T Perry. The O & M is a bit like the English Premier Leauge. A few clubs dominating year after year.

Tatsean

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2007
Tatura
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tatura Bulldogs
Agree with you there....It would be like asking Jez O'Brien about the differences for him to compare playing for a lower side in the Shep Bears in the GV and then to playing for Yarra in GF win last year. Kirbs would be the ideal candidate to ask..he played in GF winning teams For Tatura and Wang Magpies in the past few years. Carey would be good to ask too by the end of the year as he is going from Albury to Shep United.

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
Tatura Football Clubs big fund raiser is in full swing.
Catering for the masses at IDW for 10 days would certainly put their bank balance in a good place to start the season off.
They do a great job

Jan 21, 2007
home or work
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree with you there....It would be like asking Jez O'Brien about the differences for him to compare playing for a lower side in the Shep Bears in the GV and then to playing for Yarra in GF win last year. Kirbs would be the ideal candidate to ask..he played in GF winning teams For Tatura and Wang Magpies in the past few years. Carey would be good to ask too by the end of the year as he is going from Albury to Shep United.

Just spoke with Kirbs & put this question straight to him & asked as he has played at both levels successfully which did he think was better & he said he believes it changes every year but from his experience O&M by a whisker.... So then I asked as the old saying goes "your team is only as good as your bottom 6 players" what was his opinion of the bottom few sides in both comps if playing each other & what was the depth like in all teams & again he said it would be O&M marginally.... So as it pains me to say one of the more successful country vic players over the last 15yrs thinks its O&M by a nose! But keeping in mind how close it is it could quite easily change year after year just through recruits, retirements, juniors stepping up to seniors & departures.... :thumbsu:

GrassKat

Spec Moderator
Dec 15, 2006
Toolamba
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Murchison-Toolamba FNC
The O&M with three centres of comparable size to Shepparton (Wangaratta, Wodonga & Albury) should have the wood over the GV due to population. The large country towns in the GV do a fantastic job in supplying strong major league teams aswell as supporting a couple of district teams each.

GV teams are still very healthy and field their own 2s and 3s teams without alternate arrangements. In the O&M, Myrtleford join with minor league team Bright to field a junior side.

As for the argument of the bottom sides, a few teams have realised that they cannot be perennial powers and must take their turn at the bottom. It wasn't that long ago that discussions on BigFooty were discussing the suitability of Tatura to join the KDFL. Some may require more years in the cellars than others and then wait for the right local contingent for an assault.

Let's be proud that our Murray Bushranger region contains two very powerful leagues that many AFL players join after their national careers ahead of playing VFL or metro footy.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
The O&M with three centres of comparable size to Shepparton (Wangaratta, Wodonga & Albury) should have the wood over the GV due to population. The large country towns in the GV do a fantastic job in supplying strong major league teams aswell as supporting a couple of district teams each.

GV teams are still very healthy and field their own 2s and 3s teams without alternate arrangements. In the O&M, Myrtleford join with minor league team Bright to field a junior side.

As for the argument of the bottom sides, a few teams have realised that they cannot be perennial powers and must take their turn at the bottom. It wasn't that long ago that discussions on BigFooty were discussing the suitability of Tatura to join the KDFL. Some may require more years in the cellars than others and then wait for the right local contingent for an assault.

Let's be proud that our Murray Bushranger region contains two very powerful leagues that many AFL players join after their national careers ahead of playing VFL or metro footy.
North east might be a better term there GK.

Back