Governor General David Hurley June 2019-

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
My thoughts is its another no-nothing appointment that solidifies the Military and white male as the only guardians of democracy

Royal seal of approval

Scotty got the right man to solve the African gangs issue

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article126983426

Baidoa — 200km inland from Mogadishu — is slowly but surely returning from the dead, thanks to the vigilance of the 1st Battalion
Royal Australian Regiment and other Australian personnel working in the ravaged region.

The commander of the 1st Battalion Royal Australian Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel David Hurley, said his 580 infantrymen and 400
support personnel had done a tremendous job despite being spread over 17,000 sq km. He said the most satisfactory aspect of the job had been overseeing the transformation of the region to a secure environment where people could get on with living. "Ensuring
the food convoys got through was very important, but it is more important to create a long-term secure environment so these people can get on with it," he said.

Colonel Hurley said the Australian troops had clear rules of engagement to work under and were able to build a rapport with the Somali
people. "We have to be more than simply policemen standing on the corner, and the bandits have to know that if they fire upon us we
will pursue them and bring them to justice," he said.

I know it's twitter and therefore only reflective of the far sides of politics, but it's astounded me the vitriol directed towards this guy because he's an old white man.

I reckon i've seen 30 or 40 tweets to that effect and not one that mentions his character (which may be good or bad, I wouldn't know).

I know it's twitter and therefore only reflective of the far sides of politics, but it's astounded me the vitriol directed towards this guy because he's an old white man.

I reckon i've seen 30 or 40 tweets to that effect and not one that mentions his character (which may be good or bad, I wouldn't know).
True and he cant help being who or what he is , but its more about the choice made by Morrison. ( and I recognise a Shorten Govt may make a similar choice)

It plays into everything said about the Liberal Party. A party for privileged white males. This could have been an opportunity to start the image change.

True and he cant help being who or what he is , but its more about the choice made by Morrison. ( and I recognise a Shorten Govt may make a similar choice)

It plays into everything said about the Liberal Party. A party for privileged white males. This could have been an opportunity to start the image change.

With tokenism?

I doubt the people that are in favour of such a selection would ever vote Liberal anyway. The bulk of them are probably too far left to vote Labor.

With tokenism?

I doubt the people that are in favour of such a selection would ever vote Liberal anyway. The bulk of them are probably too far left to vote Labor.
Is that the default position? That choosing a capable female is tokenism? Interesting point of view

Is that the default position? That choosing a capable female is tokenism? Interesting point of view

Assuming Morrison picked who he thought was the best person for the role, then yes, picking someone for reasons related to their gender is tokenism.

And don't strawman me. I most certainly did not suggest that there are no capable females. I've got no idea whether Hurley is capable either.

Assuming Morrison picked who he thought was the best person for the role, then yes, picking someone for reasons related to their gender is tokenism.

And don't strawman me. I most certainly did not suggest that there are no capable females. I've got no idea whether Hurley is capable either.
You were the one who mentioned tokenism, you "strawmanned" yourself.

Doesn't even have to be a female. It could be an aboriginal person.

Hell, just someone who isn't white, male and from the establishment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were the one who mentioned tokenism, you "strawmanned" yourself.

lol, read the post above it. It was suggested that someone other than a white male be selected because they're not white and male to give an impression of image change. Suggesting that's tokenism shouldn't in any way be controversial, it's basically the book definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokenism

lol, read the post above it. It was suggested that someone other than a white male be selected because they're not white and male to give an impression of image change. Suggesting that's tokenism shouldn't in any way be controversial, it's basically the book definition.

Be tokenism if there was noone else qualified for the role but they put someone in who was clearly not up to it.

But there would be maybe a hundred or so people qualified for the position.

It would enhance their image by actually looking outside a pool of white, establishment males for a candidate. They wouldn't have even considered anyone else, that's the modern Liberal way.

So it's not tokenism to look past that privileged little club for a suitable candidate.

No I used a 'capable female ' as that is seen as the major image hurdle in the LNP. As pointed out it could have been an Indigenous person, a disabled person or a transgender person. ( I hear Cate McGregor is free)

From your link, thanks for that

In politics[edit]
In politics, allegations of tokenism may occur when a political party puts forward candidates from under-represented groups, such as women or racial minorities, in races that the party has little or no chance of winning, while making limited or no effort to ensure that such candidates have similar opportunity to win the nomination in races where the party is safe or favoured.[23] The "token" candidates are frequently submitted as paper candidates, in which a person is placed on the ballot solely to make sure the political party has a candidate in the race even if that candidate has almost no chance of actually winning, while the more competitive nature of the candidate selection process in winnable seats continues to favour members of the majority group.[24]

The end result of such an approach is that the party's slate of candidates maintains the appearance of diversity, but members of the majority group remain overrepresented in the party's caucus after the election — and thus little to no substantive progress toward greater inclusion of underrepresented groups has actually occurred.[24]

The New York Times dives into address tokenism in politics by mentioning Nikki Haley. Haley is first generation American, having Indian immigrants as parents. Despite the fact that she has little experience with foreign policy, President Trump chose her as the current United States Ambassador to the United Nations

ie Nikki Haley isnt attacked because she is a female but because she doesnt have the relevant experience to do the role.

Oh and what exactly is the role of a GG that seems to limit it to Military people and former Politicians?

Be tokenism if there was noone else qualified for the role but they put someone in who was clearly not up to it.

But there would be maybe a hundred or so people qualified for the position.

Probably true, but if you're going to say Hurley is a bad pick, then come up with something better than "He's not the right race/gender".

If that's all you've got, then i'm guessing he's not a bad pick.

Probably true, but if you're going to say Hurley is a bad pick, then come up with something better than "He's not the right race/gender".

If that's all you've got, then i'm guessing he's not a bad pick.
Right

So after having every single gg being an owm bar one - who was an owf.

You think the only option is an owm?

Right

So after having every single gg being an owm bar one - who was an owf.

You think the only option is an owm?

As i've stated more than once already in this thread - i've got no idea. I was just passing comment that virtually every negative reaction on twitter was that he was a white male and nothing to do with his character. To me, that's a reflection of how toxic modern politics has become.

Jesus, are there that many people that can't think critically enough about an issue that they feel the need to box everyone's opinions neatly into 1 of 2 categories?

As i've stated more than once already in this thread - i've got no idea. I was just passing comment that virtually every negative reaction on twitter was that he was a white male and nothing to do with his character. To me, that's a reflection of how toxic modern politics has become.

Jesus, are there that many people that can't think critically enough about an issue that they feel the need to box everyone's opinions neatly into 1 of 2 categories?
Could be that what they really want to criticise is “another military person” but it is difficult to say this as the response is “oh so you bagging the military”.
Should have gone for a leader in a different field- law, medicine, science

Or really out of the box - Adam goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back