Remove this Banner Ad

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not hard to see what's going on here. The backstabbing campaigner sucking up to her Euro mates in order to get a cushy job post politics. Never mind that Australians get bent over on visa rules due to Europe and suffer penal tariffs on agricultural goods due to the common agricultural policy. Not to mention the convention of not interfering in the politics of another country. She is way out of her depth, embarrassing to Australia to have her "representing" the country (in reality just enjoying a multi year junket thinking that the rest of the world cares what she has to say)

Where is Barnaby? He should be demanding she gets the arse. If he doesn't he is just as bad as her.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...'brexit-not-in-australia's-interests'/7294664

Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop has weighed in on the Brexit debate, telling the British Prime Minister that it is in Australia's interests to see the UK remain part of the European Union.

Obviously Meds has very strong personal beliefs, particularly about people of British stock having a superior culture (or just English...?), but below is a list of foreign affairs issues I thought Bishop had not excelled in when the media kept saying she was doing very well (from Feb 2015).

She might claim Abbott was responsible and went off half-cocked, but on the other hand, I think people were impressed by Bishop mostly in contrast to how often her colleagues put their foot in their mouth, rather than because the Govt was getting things right internationally.
  • We said we thought we'd found the missing plane. We hadn't.
  • We picked a fight with Russia we couldn't win and which limited access to MH17 for everyone.
  • We encroached on Indonesian waters (6 times).
  • We weren't very conciliatory when revelations about the phone tapping of SBY and his wife came out. Abbott said the surveillance was reasonable.
  • We raided the lawyer (and the former spy) who were helping out East Timor in their case against us spying on them (when we wanted to cheat in the negotiations over us taking their gas reserves).
  • We cut foreign aid substantially.
  • After years of negotiation we gave in to Japan, Korea & China on FTA deals almost as soon as the Libs were elected (time will tell the fall-out of that).
  • We tried and failed to not talk about Climate Change at the G20 we were hosting.
  • We refused to help medical professionals assist with the Ebola crisis, despite other nations doing so.
  • We told Scotland not to secede.
  • Our own media wasn't allowed to go with Abbott and Bishop to their visits in Iraq & Afghanistan.
  • Peter Greste was in prison for 400 days on trumped-up charges, and his colleagues remained there longer.
  • Abbott himself was apparently ostracised at OS conferences and kept foreign leaders waiting as he did to the Indonesian VP back in Australia.
It'd be interesting to hear from DFAT staff how much Liberal HQ stuffed her over in regards to any of the above, if those staff had any inkling. Comments on Asylum Seekers and Terrorism coming directly from the right-wingers obviously aren't to do with her, nor did the embarrassment of the Queen caused by Abbott's Knighthood antics, but Bishop can parrot the party-lines as much as the rest of them.

In a small way being the only woman in Abbott's Cabinet (and rarely being there due to OS travel) did her image a favour both in terms of showing her at high-profile diplomatic events, and framing her as part of the woman being potentially held back in a male-biased Government.

No different to Abbott giving his opinion on Scottish devolution, just another Oz politician butting in on another issue that's above their pay grade.

Yep moronic effort by Abbott, should have kept his mouth shut. Just like Rudd jumping on climate change Armageddon bandwagon in order to mince around with world leaders (who can forget him talking to an empty room at the UN). Gareth Evans liked to lecture one and all as well.

Keating was better at it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/09/world/malaysia-premier-demands-apology.html

Mr. Keating told reporters in Seattle that he "couldn't care less" about the Malaysian leader's absence from the summit, which was sponsored by the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation organization. "APEC is bigger than all of us -- Australia, the U.S. and Malaysia and Dr. Mahathir and any other recalcitrants," he said.

So far, Prime Minister Keating has refused to make an explicit apology, and a letter he sent to Dr. Mahathir last week seems only to have made things worse.

We weren't very conciliatory when revelations about the phone tapping of SBY and his wife came out. Abbott said the surveillance was reasonable.

A particularly poor list but this one stands out. Abbott should apologise for the actions of Rudd and Gillard? Should sco mo apologise to us all for Swan's hopeless fiscal policy?

Last edited:
No-one is surprised you don't understand diplomacy, Meds.

Other than replying to your usual dubious comments, I'd be interested in the question I posed of you in regards to whether you are more a British loyalist or an English loyalist? Or ignore it / point me to an appropriate thread if you'd prefer.

No-one is surprised you don't understand diplomacy, Meds.

Another hopeless fanboi rant. You cant even understand the issue let alone bother to address it. Its in Australia's best interests that Britain leaves the EU. I would address such issues as imperial preference but it would be way beyond your comprehension and instead you would simply come up with another irrelevant pom pom waving list of irrelevance.

After all you clearly don't give a stuff about trade and exports given your Pavlovian response to the mining and carbon tax.

BTW how is that global carbon trading system the ALP said we were going to join?

The highlight of ALP diplomacy was Kevin Rudd groping a stripper in New York.

Another hopeless fanboi rant. You cant even understand the issue let alone bother to address it. Its in Australia's best interests that Britain leaves the EU. I would address such issues as imperial preference but it would be way beyond your comprehension and instead you would simply come up with another irrelevant pom pom waving list of irrelevance.

After all you clearly don't give a stuff about trade and exports given your Pavlovian response to the mining and carbon tax.

BTW how is that global carbon trading system the ALP said we were going to join?

"Another hopeless fanboi rant."??? Someone isn't enjoying daylight savings...

Or maybe that was a typo and it was meant to be a colon? "Another hopeless fanboi rant:" seems right.

Either way, you could've just ignored my genial reply. And In case you missed the all-over-the-shop response to your post (and the fact Australia isn't in Europe), we aren't paying much attention to Europe's teeth-gnashing over the EU and potential country exits. Each country can work it out, I'm sure.

Either way, you could've just ignored my genial reply. And In case you missed the all-over-the-shop response to your post (and the fact Australia isn't in Europe), we aren't paying much attention to Europe's teeth-gnashing over the EU and potential country exits. Each country can work it out, I'm sure.

Given I am feeling generous I will deal with your ignorance. Australia farmers are locked out of Europe. That this doesn't matter to you is no surprise given your complete ignorance on all matters economic. Pre Britain entering the EU, Australia enjoyed far better access via imperial preference and this is most likely to happen post BREXIT. Hence it DOES matter and we SHOULD be paying attention.

http://www.mla.com.au/Marketing-beef-and-lamb/International-markets/Market-access/Beef

European Union

Bound tariff* 100%**
7,150 tonne quota (fiscal year)
In quota: 20%;above quota: 12.8% + 141.4-304.1 Euro/100kg

http://www.mla.com.au/Prices-markets/EU-sheepmeat-quota-filled-for-the-year

For the second consecutive year, Australian lamb and mutton exports to the EU have fulfilled the calendar year allocated quota (19,186 tonnes cwe) before the year end, with exports at 30 November totalling 18,964 tonnes cwe, or 99% of the quota (Department of Agriculture). Australia is the only country to have filled its EU quota in 2013, 2014 and 2015, yet its access remains limited to only 6.7% of the total EU sheepmeat quota

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given I am feeling generous I will deal with your ignorance. Australia farmers are locked out of Europe. That this doesn't matter to you is no surprise given your complete ignorance on all matters economic. Pre Britain entering the EU, Australia enjoyed far better access via imperial preference and this is most likely to happen post BREXIT. Hence it DOES matter and we SHOULD be paying attention.

http://www.mla.com.au/Marketing-beef-and-lamb/International-markets/Market-access/Beef

European Union

Bound tariff* 100%**
7,150 tonne quota (fiscal year)
In quota: 20%;above quota: 12.8% + 141.4-304.1 Euro/100kg

http://www.mla.com.au/Prices-markets/EU-sheepmeat-quota-filled-for-the-year

For the second consecutive year, Australian lamb and mutton exports to the EU have fulfilled the calendar year allocated quota (19,186 tonnes cwe) before the year end, with exports at 30 November totalling 18,964 tonnes cwe, or 99% of the quota (Department of Agriculture). Australia is the only country to have filled its EU quota in 2013, 2014 and 2015, yet its access remains limited to only 6.7% of the total EU sheepmeat quota
As I've said in the past, I'm flattered by the attention you throw my way, but I don't swing that way and Primary School ponytail-pulling doesn't actually impress people. Spend time interacting with a variety of people in IRL and you will see what I mean.

There are obvious pros and cons in creating larger economic structures or in having more independence, that's why finance experts spend their time combining companies to take advantage of economies of scale and added efficiencies, before breaking up the same companies to be more 'lithe' and 'concentrate on what we're good at', etc. I'm not as scared of migrants as you are either, which I imagine is one of the main reasons you care so deeply. Exporters want freer markets, but as Bishop hints at, there are people who believe having the UK in the EU will make the EU more likely to free markets.

Hear, hear. Easiest job in parliament and she is actually pretty average at it.
Gets away with it because she is not a total idiot like so many of her colleagues.

Jet around the world looking presidential.

Best job in the cabinet (besides Prime Minister) unless a war is about to start.

Actually, for all the Australians of English parentage, it potentially cuts them off from access to Europe for employment. Not a small thing I would have thought

Terrible person who wasn't even hot back in the 80's and that's saying something. The vile swine ranks among the likes of Andrews, Abetz, Bernadi in terms of public hatred.

I'm not as scared of migrants as you are either, which I imagine is one of the main reasons you care so deeply.

I note you couldn't respond to the issue of tariffs, no surprise there. As for mass Eastern Europe it suppresses the wages of the poor. Are you in favour of wage cuts for the less well off? You seem very confused on all matters economic.

Actually, for all the Australians of English parentage, it potentially cuts them off from access to Europe for employment. Not a small thing I would have thought

Numbers of Australians who want to work in UK but cant compared to Australians with UK passport who would like to work in Europe ex UK? Former would be far larger than the latter. In any even there is no guarantee they would lose that right.

2017-01-30_100927.png

As Australia’s Foreign Minister attends G’Day Australia functions in Hollywood, Britain’s Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has sought clarification as to the scope and impact of President Trump’s travel ban executive order.

Ms Bishop said she had “two very constructive conversations” with Vice President Mike Pence about the migration ban, but released no details.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...n/news-story/eba777e0afb877842ad8c84ee57d6e01

Good onya Jules!

Obviously Meds has very strong personal beliefs, particularly about people of British stock having a superior culture (or just English...?), but below is a list of foreign affairs issues I thought Bishop had not excelled in when the media kept saying she was doing very well (from Feb 2015).

She might claim Abbott was responsible and went off half-cocked, but on the other hand, I think people were impressed by Bishop mostly in contrast to how often her colleagues put their foot in their mouth, rather than because the Govt was getting things right internationally.
  • We said we thought we'd found the missing plane. We hadn't.
  • We picked a fight with Russia we couldn't win and which limited access to MH17 for everyone.
  • We encroached on Indonesian waters (6 times).
  • We weren't very conciliatory when revelations about the phone tapping of SBY and his wife came out. Abbott said the surveillance was reasonable.
  • We raided the lawyer (and the former spy) who were helping out East Timor in their case against us spying on them (when we wanted to cheat in the negotiations over us taking their gas reserves).
  • We cut foreign aid substantially.
  • After years of negotiation we gave in to Japan, Korea & China on FTA deals almost as soon as the Libs were elected (time will tell the fall-out of that).
  • We tried and failed to not talk about Climate Change at the G20 we were hosting.
  • We refused to help medical professionals assist with the Ebola crisis, despite other nations doing so.
  • We told Scotland not to secede.
  • Our own media wasn't allowed to go with Abbott and Bishop to their visits in Iraq & Afghanistan.
  • Peter Greste was in prison for 400 days on trumped-up charges, and his colleagues remained there longer.
  • Abbott himself was apparently ostracised at OS conferences and kept foreign leaders waiting as he did to the Indonesian VP back in Australia.
It'd be interesting to hear from DFAT staff how much Liberal HQ stuffed her over in regards to any of the above, if those staff had any inkling. Comments on Asylum Seekers and Terrorism coming directly from the right-wingers obviously aren't to do with her, nor did the embarrassment of the Queen caused by Abbott's Knighthood antics, but Bishop can parrot the party-lines as much as the rest of them.

In a small way being the only woman in Abbott's Cabinet (and rarely being there due to OS travel) did her image a favour both in terms of showing her at high-profile diplomatic events, and framing her as part of the woman being potentially held back in a male-biased Government.
Israel building illegal settlements
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...he-us-over-un-resolution-20161229-gtjitf.html

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has confirmed that Australia will support Donald Trump's controversial Muslim visa ban and tough border control policies.

Ms Bishop said Australia would stand by the president's executive order - despite backlash from the United Kingdom, Canada and a number of countries in Europe.

The executive order bans all citizens and refugees from seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering the United States for the next 90 and 120 days respectively.

'I'm confident that the Australian government and the U.S. government will continue to support each other in ensuring that we can implement our strong immigration and border protection policies,' Ms Bishop said in Los Angeles.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...support-Trump-s-Muslim-ban.html#ixzz4XFOSPBsL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-Trump-s-Muslim-ban.html?ito=social-facebook

Remove this Banner Ad

Back