Gowers is God

Remove this Banner Ad

The comparison with Stringer is apt. Admittedly Stringer came to AFL as a pick#5 while Gowers came as a Carlton rookie but both stuffed up their tenure at their first club with their poor attitude and being "a bit of a lad".

Gowers is seizing his second opportunity. Stringer could learn something from him.

BulldogJake

All Australian
Jul 24, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As one of his biggest supporters on here pre-draft, he's doing exactly what we wanted when we recruited him. He's popping up for a goal a game and is using his bigger frame in the contest. He's more of a Crameri replacement than a Stringer replacement in style but unlike Stringer he's an aerial threat and is laying tackles.
Yep, couldn’t have said it better myself.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ve liked the way Gowers goes about it since his first game for us. He’s got a bit of that full forward strut about him and he can seriously play.
All the fan fare was about Naughton, Richards and the continued progress of English leading into this year but Gowers might just be the best pickup of the lot.
Could be another one of those great stories of a player working hard to get himself off the scrap heap. A player that has seen his football mortality up close will work harder and appreciate what he’s got.
Go Billy!

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
He’s just a very natural forward. Can easily see him growing into a 30-40 goal a year forward. I think his first time in the system taught him how to be a professional.

I don't see him as either a Stringer or a Crameri replacement. More an heir apparent to Dickson ... if he can get his set shots right. He's more robust and better in the air though.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watching someone actually mark the ball inside the forward 50 truly is a sight to behold. Loving what he's bringing to the side. Only 21 so plenty of time to get better at the things he needs to improve.

sAgxAjY.jpg
What a great stat :rainbow:

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Yet so many people still want him dropped or that he should be on the chopping board, fools
Guy has work ethic and a defensive side, something Stringer didn't have. He provides the team in areas we lack in, and has been doing his job well. Shame a few cannot see that
And leads our goal kicking after 6 rounds :)

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Yet so many people still want him dropped or that he should be on the chopping board, fools
Guy has work ethic and a defensive side, something Stringer didn't have. He provides the team in areas we lack in, and has been doing his job well. Shame a few cannot see that
And leads our goal kicking after 6 rounds :)

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Is everything I wanted from Redpath only in a smaller body.
Tough, busts open packs, hits contests hard, great defensively and can actually take a grab. If he can kick more than he misses he's an absolute steal.

Plus you can never have too many odd units at the footy club.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The Gowers play on into double 50 was the dumbest thing I've seen from a Dogs player since the Will Minson days but I love how he didnt sulk about it and just got on with things. I felt bad for him because he must have felt so stupid but was great to see he didnt drop his head.

Apparently the second 50 was because Lipinski was in the protected area, so Gowers only responsible for the first one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Billy needs some media training though - a bit of “yeah, nah” on Sunday show, and didn’t want to give much away on why he wasn’t kept on at Blues.
Still looks a natural forward though - and we don’t have too many of those atm.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Billy needs some media training though - a bit of “yeah, nah” on Sunday show, and didn’t want to give much away on why he wasn’t kept on at Blues.
Still looks a natural forward though - and we don’t have too many of those atm.

He's always been open about the fact that he didn't work hard enough at Carlton and the penny didn't drop until he started playing for Footscray.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's a great pick up no doubt. Just when we were crying out for a forward, he comes from nowhere for us! Personally more of a Scott Welsh type player than Dickson (if I'm remembering Welsh correctly).
But with more mongrel and an inferior kick, unfortunately.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's a great pick up no doubt. Just when we were crying out for a forward, he comes from nowhere for us! Personally more of a Scott Welsh type player than Dickson (if I'm remembering Welsh correctly).

Gowers only issue moving forward will be his size. He's going to attract at least some attention from the elite defenders moving forward if he's regularly put in the goalsquare on his own. He's definitely undersized for a FF even though he plays like one. Not many in the comp at his size who plays that role well. Maybe Menzel?

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Gowers only issue moving forward will be his size. He's going to attract at least some attention from the elite defenders moving forward if he's regularly put in the goalsquare on his own. He's definitely undersized for a FF even though he plays like one. Not many in the comp at his size who plays that role well. Maybe Menzel?
Tom Boyd likes this.

The trend gaining traction in football is to play a mid-sizer out of the square rather than a big forward (unless you're exceptional ie Tom Lynch or Ben Brown).
Josh Jenkins is the other big guy but he plays like a mid-sizer. Sydney just beat Geelong in Geelong playing Gary Rohan deep for parts of the game.

IIRC Tom Boyd played forward but started ~30m out from goal most of his time up there.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The trend gaining traction in football is to play a mid-sizer out of the square rather than a big forward (unless you're exceptional ie Tom Lynch or Ben Brown).
Josh Jenkins is the other big guy but he plays like a mid-sizer. Sydney just beat Geelong in Geelong playing Gary Rohan deep for parts of the game.

IIRC Tom Boyd played forward but started ~30m out from goal most of his time up there.

Gowers out of the square,Boyd in front of him, Schache as a roaming CHF/linkman. Makes Redpath redundant, and with English as the first choice ruck, Roughy and Trengove as backups, Campbell’s number looks up, as he is the least mobile.
Campbell/Redpath out, Josh Kelly in!

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH

Thoughts on Gowers' Exer potential, Mof?

It's about time we got one of them (Austin doesn't count)

Back