Analysis GPS data and statistics 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
We're finally seeing some GPS stuff released to the public - pissed me off when I heard it was Telstra Customers only so I'll be posting the info here.

It's a massive part of training, playing, developing youngsters, managing injuries etc. We only have the very basics at the moment - and no, it won't tell you the full story.

I'll be editing this post later with more stats and some info on each one.

adb43e6879cb071fd61d4ba675d35aae.png

3b04027b8453c57dc536078e074e70d7.jpg

819974c353aec281ffce6dce4e2d7ce2.jpg

43985a369f94c9cef047150c4de64953.jpg

3bd4c4248fa9962e6f357dff75f1bc4b.jpg

3a8964dcab5cd9440ead3f761df709ed.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I said that Keath is very quick for his size, but that speed is from him is just nuts when you compare the other players around that same speed are about half his size!

Reminds me a bit of Sam Frost, who is also lightning quick for a bloke his size

Those numbers show why the coaches love Mackay so much - repeated sprint efforts, running hard for long distances in defence.

Say what you like about the other flaws in his game, but you can't knock his work rate at all.
If that's what they are basing that on, they are fools.

On that same theory and using those stats, Motlop would be an A grade elite BOG.

GPS is useless unless the player impacts the contest, otherwise we should just have guys running up and down the field.

If that's what they are basing that on, they are fools.

On that same theory and using those stats, Motlop would be an A grade elite BOG.

GPS is useless unless the player impacts the contest, otherwise we should just have guys running up and down the field.

We were discussing the change in the use of our wings on the Sunday wrap podcast last week. We were keeping the wings out wide in the past couple of weeks and very specifically not getting our wings sucked into the contest like we have for a long time. Last week it was Mackay's side that was used mostly in our forward movement, this week it was Atkins side instead that we used to spread the zones. What that means is that other wing player still has to do a lot of running for no possessions, but for the team play it's important. I do agree that there are some issues with Mackay, but the change in our game style the past few weeks have been really interesting to watch.

We were discussing the change in the use of our wings on the Sunday wrap podcast last week. We were keeping the wings out wide in the past couple of weeks and very specifically not getting our wings sucked into the contest like we have for a long time. Last week it was Mackay's side that was used mostly in our forward movement, this week it was Atkins side instead that we used to spread the zones. What that means is that other wing player still has to do a lot of running for no possessions, but for the team play it's important. I do agree that there are some issues with Mackay, but the change in our game style the past few weeks have been really interesting to watch.

So your saying a wingmen should play as a wingmen.

Id argue the reason they aren't being used is because they aren't providing the right option.

I would be even more astounded if the coach said this week we're going left but I want the right wingmen to run up and down.

Id argue the reason they aren't being used is because they aren't providing the right option.

I would be even more astounded if the coach said this week we're going left but I want the right wingmen to run up and down.

If you had been watching the use of our wings at the start of the season and into the middle of the season during our loses, they were being used as extra midfielders and often were on the same wing as each other at times. It's not we are using this side specifically, but that we were keeping a wing really wide for the switch option to spread the Cats and Dees defences.

We're finally seeing some GPS stuff released to the public - pissed me off when I heard it was Telstra Customers only so I'll be posting the info here.

It's a massive part of training, playing, developing youngsters, managing injuries etc. We only have the very basics at the moment - and no, it won't tell you the full story.

Keath, damn that's quick for a big fella. He will seriously smash the game open if he can cement a spot and play consistently. Him and Lever down back could lock in finals for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keath, damn that's quick for a big fella. He will seriously smash the game open if he can cement a spot and play consistently. Him and Lever down back could lock in finals for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do mention that the top speed can be affected by hard knocks. Unsure if that's the case with Keath's measurements.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If anyone saw that defensive run from Keath to get back on his man in the 1st, he absolutely flew. Was unbelievable speed for such a big unit

If you had been watching the use of our wings at the start of the season and into the middle of the season during our loses, they were being used as extra midfielders and often were on the same wing as each other at times. It's not we are using this side specifically, but that we were keeping a wing really wide for the switch option to spread the Cats and Dees defences.
Yep you're right but only when we have the ball. It an effective way to make the ground bigger. When we don't have the ball we try to make the ground smaller.

I'm with Nikki - some times a winger your not going to win much footy and your role is to defend the exits and also spread the defence by keeping your width

If you play right role and opposition players are drawn wide to you it opens up space in corridor and also out the other side

Known as ' making the ground bigger in offence'

We did it really well especially in first half and kudos to our wings - Atkins game has been underrated on here and Dmac was a pass

Looking forward to potentially seeeint Seedsman on wing and half back on the wide MCG - he's a very smart outside player as well

I'm a massive Milera fan but maybe he currently isn't best 22 - he should be though just gotta find himself and use his strengths

I'm with Nikki - some times a winger your not going to win much footy and your role is to defend the exits and also spread the defence by keeping your width

If you play right role and opposition players are drawn wide to you it opens up space in corridor and also out the other side

Known as ' making the ground bigger in offence'

We did it really well especially in first half and kudos to our wings - Atkins game has been underrated on here and Dmac was a pass

Looking forward to potentially seeeint Seedsman on wing and half back on the wide MCG - he's a very smart outside player as well

I'm a massive Milera fan but maybe he currently isn't best 22 - he should be though just gotta find himself and use his strengths
As long as "sometimes" means parts of the game and not for an entire game.

No matter how well you spread or guard space, if for the entire game you didn't actually impact the contest in some way, then I say we're in "non-statistical role" territory.

That's why I say GPS is pointless as a primary indicator of the players performance. You'd use it as a secondary indicator, paired with another kpi, like metres gained, possessions, clearances, etc.

That was my original point.

As long as "sometimes" means parts of the game and not for an entire game.

No matter how well you spread or guard space, if for the entire game you didn't actually impact the contest in some way, then I say we're in "non-statistical role" territory.

That's why I say GPS is pointless as a primary indicator of the players performance. You'd use it as a secondary indicator, paired with another kpi, like metres gained, possessions, clearances, etc.

That was my original point.
Agree with that otherwise we'd just pick 22 craig mottrams

Did Daniel Menzel run 14km for 4 possessions?!
He might just be a touch overhyped IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to have seen those kind of GPS numbers from his brother in his 2nd and 3rd AFL games this year.

Motlop gets smashed for being lazy by his own supporters . This would suggest he is out of touch and lacking confidence. Fairly certain he will be gone at years end and there is a cjance whoever gets him may have an Eddie Betts type steal on their hands if they can get his mindset right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back