bigburger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2008
Imagineland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton, WDCC, Force
This thread might die on the arse but I am willing to risk it.

I am thinking about purchasing a GPS watch for my running. At this stage I am thinking about getting a Garmin Forerunner 210 but to be honest I don't really know much about them.

If anyones had experiences with them or knows a bit about it I would love to hear your thoughts.

Bought a Garmin 405 from navcity on eBay for $189. Best training tool ever and has helped take my running to new levels as I train alone. Can't imagine running without one as I love the post run analysis

I've been tossing up getting one as well.

Seems to me from looking around a bit that it's a small market and not a lot of investment goes into developing them.

The garmin ones look the best bet but reading around none of them seem to have the best shelf life so wouldn't be going the top end of the market.

I've ended up buying a Garmin Forerunner 410. Waiting for it to arrive but I'll post my thoughts when I get it if I can be arsed.

I've ended up buying a Garmin Forerunner 410. Waiting for it to arrive but I'll post my thoughts when I get it if I can be arsed.
Make sure you download SportTracks as well as using Garmin Connect. It is a way better tool for tracking your progress.

I'd be interested in a review. The 410 was the one I'd settled on at a price v. everything else but haven't pulled the trigger. Also would be interested if you got it off Ebay off one of those overseas sellers or not. Good prices but baulked a bit reading they come with an Australian adaptor and whether or not that means they will fully function here.

I'd be interested in a review. The 410 was the one I'd settled on at a price v. everything else but haven't pulled the trigger. Also would be interested if you got it off Ebay off one of those overseas sellers or not. Good prices but baulked a bit reading they come with an Australian adaptor and whether or not that means they will fully function here.
I got my 405 from the UK and works perfectly with all functions. It didn't come with an Australian adaptor clip which you could probably ask for when purchasing but it plugs into a USB port so if you have a computer or iPhone/Pod/Pad charger you will be fine

Well I bought mine off wiggle.co.uk and have made the sacrifice with the UK adapter as it was $100 than buying it from Rebel Sports and had free postage. In the end my bosses told me you could just charge (like your iPhone) with the USB connected to the computer so I'll probably do that. However an international adapter costs bugger all these days.

Over a week on, any reviews?

Thinking of getting one in the near future.

Over a week on, any reviews?

Thinking of getting one in the near future.
Sorry only got it on Tuesday.

Have so far used it twice and only once for a run (the other was purely a cardio workout at the gym) and all I can say is its brilliant. The information you get from each run is unbelievable and a great motivator. Money well spent for mine and going through wiggle.co.uk was very easy. All I've had to do is buy an internation adaptor which cost $10. Easy as!

Alrighty cheers bigburger. :thumbsu:

Will be grabbing one once spring is over, I'll stick to the treadmill for the time being now but - bad Magpie experiences. :mad:

They're great. I hate running. But working at a desk for 11 hrs a day and getting taken out to the odd lunch and dinner, as well as boozing, the calories need to come off with more than just a healthy diet the rest of the time.

Bought the Garmin FR70 as a basic model to see if it would keep me interested in running other than just "knowing" I have to keep exercising. Found it was probably the best motivating factor I've got.

Have recently updated to the Garmin Forerunner 910XT when I was in the US (picked up for $190 at City Sports in NY which had a ridiculous sale on if ever there), and love it even more. No need to get on mapmyrun.com to check how far I've gone and average speeds etc, it does it all for you. Over the past 3 years my fitness has improved dramatically (currently in my late 30's running 10km's in around 41-43mins) from where I was at. I will admit I would of packed it in and continued to devour grog if I hadn't bought my first HRM.

The missus has even picked one up herself now and agrees. Her fitness wasn't great straight after having the kid, but early this week just broke 19mins around the tan for the first time.

How well did you all get on with the watches? Been considering the Forerunner 210 or 210 for my running and to wear at footy training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really useful I find. I got a Forerunner 610, mainly because it was nice and small compared to the others. Waited until there was a 20% sale at a particular sports shop as it is a bit pricey.

Before that I used to waste time on Google maps plotting out a course of a particular distance, or boring myself shitless at a track doing 400m/200m intervals, etc. Now I can just program in what I want to do and away I go!

Garmin Connect is useful to - you can compare how you go at a certain 'course' as you get fitter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back