Grading Each Team Since Their Last Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond: A

West Coast: A- Only missed top 4—and thus a real back-to-back shot—by % this year, a lot of people like them for 2020.

Western Bulldogs: E 7th in 2019 sneaks them into a passing grade.

Hawthorn: B Too early to judge their aggressive list management, but their inevitable post-threepeat slump has been gentle.

Sydney: B- Made a big move, hasn’t paid off to the fullest, probably should have.

Geelong: B+?

Collingwood: B for Back on track just in time.

Port Adelaide: E Some impressive glimpses in a sea of s**t.

Brisbane: E+?

Essendon: F Haven’t won a final since 2004. Other bad stuff.

North Melbourne: D+ Four prelims in twenty years, humiliated in three of them. Otherwise keeping everybody fairly honest.

Adelaide: C?

Carlton: E- Same as Port, only longer.

St. Kilda: D- Way too long without a flag, can’t drop them any lower given how close they’ve been to that elusive second.

Melbourne: F

Fremantle since the 2013 Grand Final: D

It's a harsh way of evaluating how you're traveling, but perhaps a necessary one. Nothing seems to screw up a club more than placing too much value on past success. The biggest eyeopener here for me is the high number of teams who have really stunk it up since reaching the pinnacle, and there's a few tricky ones which I'm arguably being generous to. Agree, disagree etc.?

I'd argue that if we're a B- then Collingwood probably should be a B- at most too.

Agree with the ratings for the most part though.

I'd argue that if we're a B- then Collingwood probably should be a B- at most too.

Agree with the ratings for the most part though.
Yes or maybe bring Sydney up to a B and drop Hawthorn down to a B-. Expectation v output the main sticking point.

I suppose I should've put "Richmond since the 2017 flag" to provide some more food for thought, but it would nevertheless still surely have to be an A with only the '18 PF falter obviously costing them the half-mark.

Also Adelaide at a C, on an island unto themselves, feels increasingly true the more I think about it. Very strange 20-year onfield period, no other team has walked that fine line of shallow highs and lows with such precision.

I suppose I should've put "Richmond since the 2017 flag" to provide some more food for thought, but it would nevertheless still surely have to be an A with only the '18 PF falter obviously costing them the half-mark.

Also Adelaide at a C, on an island unto themselves, feels increasingly true the more I think about it. Very strange 20-year onfield period, no other team has walked that fine line of shallow highs and lows with such precision.
Don't want to be that guy, but then it doesn't go by last premierships. We should be A+ or an F because we have done nothing since.

In all seriousness though, I like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back