Preview Grading our list

Remove this Banner Ad

An interesting look back. Still pretty spot on. Elliott is back hopefully he can get back to A+.
I think you'd want to make a few changes. Crisp was unlucky not to be in the AA squad last year and deserves a higher rating. The likes of Reid and Wells would have to drop considerably. Dunn should be a bit higher, Phillips and probably Langdon, Maynard and Thomas as well, definitely Mayne also.

I think you'd want to make a few changes. Crisp was unlucky not to be in the AA squad last year and deserves a higher rating. The likes of Reid and Wells would have to drop considerably. Dunn should be a bit higher, Phillips and probably Langdon, Maynard and Thomas as well, definitely Mayne also.
I actually think Varcoe is an A.

Hard to be a part time A grade player. He just doesn't play enough to be A grade. Varcoe is a relatively low possession high impact player half a dozen or so games a year. That isn't A grade. Mind you, if he does it over the full course of a GF you can put as many pluses after the A you like.

On that matter, Wells is an A grade in ability but E grade in output and therefore in usefulness to the list unless he can get his body right very quickly. Elliot is an A grader but, again, he needs to be sound. At least he is on the right trajectory right now and young enough to have the time to have a lot of impact.

Last edited:

Taylor Adams B
James Aish D
Jarryd Blair D
Tim Broomhead D
Callum Brown C
Mason Cox C
Jack Crisp C+
Ben Crocker E
Josh Daicos D+
Jordan De Goey B
Lynden Dunn C
Jamie Elliott A+
Alex Fasolo C+
Tyson Goldsack B
Levi Greenwood C
Brodie Grundy A
Will Hoskin-Elliott B+
Jeremy Howe A
Kayle Kirby D
Tom Langdon C+
Max Lynch (unrated)
Brayden Maynard C+
Chris Mayne E
Sam McLarty (unrated)
Darcy Moore B
Adam Oxley E
Scott Pendlebury A
Tom Phillips C
Jackson Ramsay D
Ben Reid B
Matthew Scharenberg C
Steele Sidebottom A
Brayden Sier (unrated)
Ben Sinclair (unrated)
Josh Smith C
Josh Thomas C
Adam Treloar A+
Travis Varcoe C+
Daniel Wells A
Rupert Wills D

Graded the players A+ to E based on 2017 senior games and going into 2018. Thoughts? Do yours if you want.
Degoey A+ everyone else stays the same.

Cox, Crisp, Langdon, Maynard, Mayne, Sier & Phillips are also better than what you had them rated at.

Josh Smith was never at the same rating as Phillips, Thomas or Shaz and definitely isn't now.
Grundy must also be on that list surely moving from A to A+. If Grundy isn't an A+ ruckman then who is?

Grundy must also be on that list surely moving from A to A+. If Grundy isn't an A+ ruckman then who is?

IMO an A+ Ruckman is one that can rest forward and kick goals. A combination fo Grundy around the ground and Cox up forward would be an A+ ruckman in my mind. Doesn't stop Grundy being the best in the comp at present.

If Grundy played as a full time forward that had short rellief bursts in the ruck like Cox does he'd be more than twice the forward Cox is. He's a better 1 on 1 mark and has stronger hands. He holds his ground much better. He can kick further. He reads the play better. Cox has a better reach and short of that he wouldn't get a game in a decent AFL side. Cox is an average player. His standout PF was great to watch but his career thus far consists of half a dozen cameos and that's it. He hasn't played that many games so he theoretically has upside but he hasn't improved this year. Reid is easily a better forward option if his body can be relied on. Alternatively Reid can play CHB and Moore is a much better tall forward option than anyone on our list. He could play Cox's role and be better at everything including being more effictive in the ruck.

Cox v Mihocek is an interesting battle for who should play second tall forward.

A+: (Best of the best)
Brodie Grundy
Jordan De Goey
Adam Treloar

A:(Elite)
Scott Pendlebury
Steele Sidebottom
Dayne Beams (I know his form has been a bit down)
Jack Crisp
Jamie Elliott

B+:(Above Average)
Tom Langdon
Taylor Adams
Jeremy Howe
Jaidyn Stephenson
Brayden Maynard
Darcy Moore
Will Hoskin-Elliott

B:(Average AFL player)
Brody Mihocek
Mason Cox
Brayden Sier
Lynden Dunn
Chris Mayne
Josh Thomas
Daniel Wells
Tom Phillips

C+:(Below average)
Travis Varcoe
Levi Greenwood
Matthew Scharenberg
Callum Brown
James Aish
Ben Reid
Jordan Roughead
Tyson Goldsack
Flynn Appleby
Sam Murray

C: (Well below average)
Rupert Wills
Josh Daicos
Tim Broomhead
Nathan Murphy

D+: (Not AFL standard)
Ben Crocker
Jack Madgen

Unrated:
Isaac Quaynor
Max Lynch
Atu Bosenuvalagi
Tyler Brown
Will Kelly
Tom Wilson
Mark Keane
Anton Tohill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list is at its peak right now. We are in a good position for the next 2-3 years.

Gegenpressing.. fluidity.. square pegs in round holes.. a brutal preseason yr in yr out until the lads are superhuman. Strong in the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes of a game. s**t like that re.

And a good eye for talent of course based on certain criteria.

Study these managers. And the game of AFL is a piece of piss re.

I find it difficult to grade players under A, B, C etc. The method I use is who would be an automatic walk up into other top teams best 22, then who would be considered by the rest of the teams.
nahnah you have done a pretty good job the only queries I would have based on how I assess would be Aish, Brown and Appleby as I think that Nth, Carlton, GCS for example would take them easily.

I find it difficult to grade players under A, B, C etc. The method I use is who would be an automatic walk up into other top teams best 22, then who would be considered by the rest of the teams.
nahnah you have done a pretty good job the only queries I would have based on how I assess would be Aish, Brown and Appleby as I think that Nth, Carlton, GCS for example would take them easily.
I agree it is difficult and not entirely accurate as form is so temporary especially for those below elite status.
Every team in the competition under my rating system would have players in the C+ range in their best 22, teams like North and Carlton probably have a heap. Appleby and Brown are still young and developing, I agree potentially Aish is B and Moore on the season is probably an A.

Interesting excercise.
But how to rate players is very different for different people.

Admire nahnah though a few I’d disagree with and how he’s worded the categories.

But he’s done it.

I've been pretty staunch on the list for some time. I found a whole bunch of my old posts saying as much.

This one from April 2017 was one I liked.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/do-we-always-overrate-our-list.1163240/#post-49771786

But they're right. On paper, we DO have the best midfield in the comp and we ARE a Top 8 side. Just not when we're being coached by the current group of coaches.

If we can get ourselves the right coach (Clarkson), I can totally see us jumping into Top 4 contention next year.

I always thought the list was good. Better than Richmond's even in 2017. Coaching was definitely the issue prior to 2018 which has basically been confirmed since. Obviously we didn't wind up needing to replace the coach, just people around him as well as the man himself changing and evolving as a person.

I think personally our list is the best and deepest in the comp. Right age, plenty of A graders, it's all there for us, we just need to take it.

I've been pretty staunch on the list for some time. I found a whole bunch of my old posts saying as much.

This one from April 2017 was one I liked.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/do-we-always-overrate-our-list.1163240/#post-49771786

I always thought the list was good. Better than Richmond's even in 2017. Coaching was definitely the issue prior to 2018 which has basically been confirmed since. Obviously we didn't wind up needing to replace the coach, just people around him as well as the man himself changing and evolving as a person.

I think personally our list is the best and deepest in the comp. Right age, plenty of A graders, it's all there for us, we just need to take it.

Don’t underestimate the impact of a new head of high performance either!

Don’t underestimate the impact of a new head of high performance either!
can you explain the turn around in skills since 2017? Its one of the biggest turnarounds by a team in a specific area I can recall. I'll never forget sitting at Etihad in 2017 and watching them miss every single 15 metre kick by a mile vs the saints. Sure a lot of it has to do with players presenting better to the ball carrier but there has been a pretty clear but time improvement in hitting targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back