Analysis Graeme Richmond Ian Wilson versus the current admin-whats gone wrong??

Remove this Banner Ad

I urge everyone to read Hafey's biography - 'The Hafey Years'. It spells it out pretty clearly.

Would even go as far to say that without reading The Hafey Years you may not truly understand Richmond and the amazing loyalty through thick and thin. if you lived through the Hafey years you will find yourself nodding in acknowledgement quite a bit as you read it..

Would even go as far to say that without reading The Hafey Years you may not truly understand Richmond and the amazing loyalty through thick and thin. if you lived through the Hafey years you will find yourself nodding in acknowledgement quite a bit as you read it..

I lived through much of it ....... we were cutting edge, innovative, manipulative, ruthless ..... all of it good. But f*** we lost our way - and before 1980.
Not lost on me, Barry Richardson had the makings and background to be a first-class coach, but we shafted him, hastening a disturbing and needless trend of disposing of coaches.
Heck, the way we recruited the likes of Clay and Raines was genius, but we self imploded and there was actual great resentment from many players towards Richmond.
Cleartly we didn't move with the times .... after creating, leading and dictting the times in the 60s and early 70s.

GR was almost the first genuinely smart administrator in the mid 1960s. He was instrumental in creating one of the most dominant teams of all time. By the mid-70s he was being surpassed. North went out and bought a few premierships through understanding the rules and realizing that there was a cheap way to success, if done professionally. The Hawks and Carlton got with a longer term program of success. We stayed with GR's 1960/early70s approach. That did not go well.

Our current admin is a mixed blessing. We are a well run club, making money and building toward long term financial sustainability. But they allowed a navel gazing Footy Dept to occur, and the plot to be lost on the field. They re-signed Dimma for 2 years, just because. We've built a pretty good list, but it isn't well balanced. 2016 was a huge wake up call. But I don't feel entirely comfortable with them.

Glass half full, as per half empty.
The hawks and the blues just had cash to splurge, as well as under the table. Exactly the same as others just with more money.

The hawks and the blues just had cash to splurge, as well as under the table. Exactly the same as others just with more money.

Yes, but they did so quite smartly. Well comparatively cleverly. Just a low benchmark back then.

Hawks in particular built an amazing squad. Carlton just got the best South Australians.

We built a fantastic team in 1980, then let it slip with some silly politics and brainless management. In particular letting Sheeds go to the Bombers. We should have promoted him, as he was the footy brains behind the 1980 premiership (according to various people anyway). Jewel was the discipline and fitness guy, Sheeds the footy brain - great combo.

Anyway, back to the thread. GR was ahead of his time. then stayed in that same point to the end. By the end he was at least a decade behind the times. Then he was followed by phychos with huge egos that couldn't give a stuff about the club's future.

Can lessons be learnt to sustain success beyond the current team?
Define current team.

Some are at or near 30 others around 20?

Really the list will and should continually evolve to succeed.

Its highly unlikely we win again with the same player team and if Rance stays fit that will not happen let alone others like possibly Stack etc..

I think the important thing to to continually strive to improve and get better, bring in the youth and do not get content.

Lot can change in a year and just because we won before does not mean we cruise to the next one!! The eighties and beyond are proof of that and that things can change and you have to evolve with it

GR was almost the first genuinely smart administrator in the mid 1960s. He was instrumental in creating one of the most dominant teams of all time. By the mid-70s he was being surpassed. North went out and bought a few premierships through understanding the rules and realizing that there was a cheap way to success, if done professionally. The Hawks and Carlton got with a longer term program of success. We stayed with GR's 1960/early70s approach. That did not go well.

Our current admin is a mixed blessing. We are a well run club, making money and building toward long term financial sustainability. But they allowed a navel gazing Footy Dept to occur, and the plot to be lost on the field. They re-signed Dimma for 2 years, just because. We've built a pretty good list, but it isn't well balanced. 2016 was a huge wake up call. But I don't feel entirely comfortable with them.

Glass half full, as per half empty.
Ah the benefit of looking back in retrospect Dr T. I have to admit I was also bemused by the Club's response to the 2016 debacle of a year and your thoughts expressed half way through the 2017 season are completely understandable. Now at the end of 2019 with 2 Premierships, 1 Minor Premiership and the most balanced list in the competition at our disposal the retention of Dimma and the strategies employed by the Football Dept make complete sense. There was some good judgement on show at the time and long may it continue. Hopefully the Board is across succession planning in all areas of the Club and, if so, we can look forward to a happy future for some time to come.

And as for GR's influence, having boarded the Tiger Train in 1967, my impressions are that he was ahead of his time for a little while and then didn't grow with the times. Hubris - who knows. However he remains a key figure in the resurrection of the RFC as a power unit and will always command respect for that.

Can lessons be learnt to sustain success beyond the current team?
Administrators stayed beyond their use by date , short term decisions made on the run that ultimately were putting out one spot fire after another and set us back. We re in a more professional era now with enough quality and horsepower in the right areas that I’d hope we are always forward planning

Yes, but they did so quite smartly. Well comparatively cleverly. Just a low benchmark back then.

Hawks in particular built an amazing squad. Carlton just got the best South Australians.

We built a fantastic team in 1980, then let it slip with some silly politics and brainless management. In particular letting Sheeds go to the Bombers. We should have promoted him, as he was the footy brains behind the 1980 premiership (according to various people anyway). Jewel was the discipline and fitness guy, Sheeds the footy brain - great combo.

Anyway, back to the thread. GR was ahead of his time. then stayed in that same point to the end. By the end he was at least a decade behind the times. Then he was followed by phychos with huge egos that couldn't give a stuff about the club's future.
GR: Like a deal with the devil. Generated the flags that he did. The price was 37 years drought.
GR was a bit of a psycho himself. Punchy bar manager at the Seaview Ballroom, & punchy at Windy Hilll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back