Socceroos (Graham Arnold and) The Socceroos Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh I didn't look too deeply into the pools. Realistically, we probably don't escape any group lol.
Might be able to get a point from Tunisia, but France and Denmark will both be too good.
When I saw the group - I agreed.
But playing Tunisia at 1pm local.

Something tells me Tunisia will be more suited to the weather conditions :(

A little history about how the Socceroos got their name

Last edited:
Just have an inkling we might get out of the group this year. Beat Tunisia, draw with either France or Denmark and I reckon we get other results going our way. Backing us in.

Some of our Socceroos face moving away from our beloved Uncontracted FC, or moves for playing time

Rogic is the one that needs to be playing regularly at a high level for us to have a hope.

Needs to get things sorted ASAP. Ideally he plays the next two seasons at somewhere like a decent Ligue 1 team or Ajax/Feyenoord/PSV in Holland. Someone like Brentford would suit him in the PL.

Once he does another two seasons at a decent level in Europe then he can come back to the A League.

I have concerns he will take a massive contract in the ME which won't be great for his Socceroos career.

Rogic is the one that needs to be playing regularly at a high level for us to have a hope.

Needs to get things sorted ASAP. Ideally he plays the next two seasons at somewhere like a decent Ligue 1 team or Ajax/Feyenoord/PSV in Holland. Someone like Brentford would suit him in the PL.

Once he does another two seasons at a decent level in Europe then he can come back to the A League.

I have concerns he will take a massive contract in the ME which won't be great for his Socceroos career.
I find it difficult to even want him to play the World Cup unless his reason for missing the playoffs was very very very good.

Besides he's been invisible for a hell of a lot of the games he's played for Australia. Hrustic has been better than him in that attacking midfield role over this campaign.

I find it difficult to even want him to play the World Cup unless his reason for missing the playoffs was very very very good.

Besides he's been invisible for a hell of a lot of the games he's played for Australia. Hrustic has been better than him in that attacking midfield role over this campaign.

His selection would be dependent on him playing regularly at a decent level. If he is doing that then we simply must take him to the world cup. By far our best creative attacking player when on song. Hrustic is more of a CM then anything. He isn't going to dribble past a few midfielders and then either have a crack or play a forward in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should stay as far away from England as possible. Much too physical for his prone body. You were spot on with France or Holland, but I feel like he probably ends up in Korea or China.

He should stay as far away from England as possible. Much too physical for his prone body. You were spot on with France or Holland, but I feel like he probably ends up in Korea or China.

No point him playing in Korea / China. Wont get paid much more than an aussie marquee in the A League and not much of a step up on the A League. If its money he wants he goes to a ME club.

For me he should be looking at Bundesliga / Ligue 1 / Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord clubs or head back to the A League.

France and Denmark are in the same Nations League group too. France has only managed a draw against Croatia and Austria so far.

View attachment 1426876

Many big nations arent taking nations league seriously. Wouldn't look too much into those results.

He is our best CB and I do think part of our struggles came from not having our best CB pairing available which IMO is him and Degenek.
Degenek was fit for the playoffs wasnt he? Came on in injury time v UAE.

We just picked Wright and Rowles in front of him. We'd have probably picked Sainsbury in front of him too. Degenek has had some shockers in Socceroos colours most notably his error in the Asian Cup QF loss to UAE.

No point him playing in Korea / China. Wont get paid much more than an aussie marquee in the A League and not much of a step up on the A League. If its money he wants he goes to a ME club.

For me he should be looking at Bundesliga / Ligue 1 / Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord clubs or head back to the A League.

Rogic would probably not get a game at Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord, and certainly wouldn't be getting more game time than Hrustic in the Bundesliga or Ligue 1.

Realistically, and despite a good season at Celtic, he is behind Hrustic for the sole AM role in Arnie's system. Mainly because he will too easily disappear if the rest of the team aren't maintaining good possession. Can star for a dominant Celtic team in Scotland, or when we're playing lesser Asian teams - but in the World Cup where we'll be underdogs each game I think Hrustic is comfortably the more solid choice.

Rogic if he wants to make the trip at all needs to be playing week-in, week-out and he's only going to do that if he goes to a top team in the league he's in. Since he won't be in a top team in any of the big leagues, it'll have to be a smaller European league or good Asian team.

That means probably Korea or Middle East (or Japan maybe if Muscat would consider taking him on?). Or maybe a good team somewhere like Poland, Switzerland or Serbia. MLS might be his other option. Or of course maybe dropping down a division in German, Italian or Spanish second tiers.

Degenek was fit for the playoffs wasnt he? Came on in injury time v UAE.

We just picked Wright and Rowles in front of him. We'd have probably picked Sainsbury in front of him too. Degenek has had some shockers in Socceroos colours most notably his error in the Asian Cup QF loss to UAE.

Our best defensive combination is Degenek-Souttar-Rowles in a back three in my view!

But of course we'll be playing a back two, and I think Souttar is obviously there if fit alongside either Sainsbury, Degenek or Rowles. Rowles would've been nowhere near the conversation except Arnie obviously saw something and after the 2 playoff performances I think now everyone can see the potential class there.

Not sure what the justification was for picking Wright ahead of Degenek. Maybe a better balance in playing style or more vocal support for Rowles the youngster? Maybe Degenek carrying injury or a bit out of touch? Don't know it certainly worked though - but still I'm not even convinced Wright will be in the squad if Sainsbury and Souttar are available with Degenek and Rowles.

Degenek even though he was left out in the playoffs probably gets the nod because he has a bit more flexibility to cover in full-back which makes him a better squad member than Wright. Wright really unlucky though if he misses out.

Rogic would probably not get a game at Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord, and certainly wouldn't be getting more game time than Hrustic in the Bundesliga or Ligue 1.

Realistically, and despite a good season at Celtic, he is behind Hrustic for the sole AM role in Arnie's system. Mainly because he will too easily disappear if the rest of the team aren't maintaining good possession. Can star for a dominant Celtic team in Scotland, or when we're playing lesser Asian teams - but in the World Cup where we'll be underdogs each game I think Hrustic is comfortably the more solid choice.

Rogic if he wants to make the trip at all needs to be playing week-in, week-out and he's only going to do that if he goes to a top team in the league he's in. Since he won't be in a top team in any of the big leagues, it'll have to be a smaller European league or good Asian team.

That means probably Korea or Middle East (or Japan maybe if Muscat would consider taking him on?). Or maybe a good team somewhere like Poland, Switzerland or Serbia. MLS might be his other option. Or of course maybe dropping down a division in German, Italian or Spanish second tiers.

Second divisions are a waste of time. The only acceptable league in Asia apart from A League IMO is the J League. Regular gametime there would be ideal preparation for Qatar 22. ME, China, Korea - money is the only motivation for playing there.

MLS - yes. But again, why play there when he can play A League. Its not exactly a big leap in standard over the A League.

Swiss league would be a good one. Polish league not so much.

Turkish league would be good for Rogic.

Second divisions are a waste of time. The only acceptable league in Asia apart from A League IMO is the J League. Regular gametime there would be ideal preparation for Qatar 22. ME, China, Korea - money is the only motivation for playing there.

MLS - yes. But again, why play there when he can play A League. Its not exactly a big leap in standard over the A League.

Swiss league would be a good one. Polish league not so much.

Turkish league would be good for Rogic.

Regardless of whether or not I think you overrate the A-League (hint - I do - but that's irrelevant), one of the big problems there is the late start to the season and therefore lack of matches to demonstrate fitness and form prior to WC Squad being selected.

Any league like MLS, Japan or Korea where they're mid-season and if you can get a starting berth means a good run of games prior to November. Switzerland, Poland or second tier bigger leagues in Europe similarly will have a lot more games to be played the ALM. Turkey I like too.

Not sure it's fair to say second divisions are a waste of time....... Irvine, Genreau, Wright, Karacic, McGree, Dougall, Souttar all been playing at that standard (or lower!). Even historically, 2006 WC Squad (the gold standard if you like) had Popovic, Kennedy and Wilkshire from below top tier.

So if Rogic can't get into a good (as in title-challenging) Korean, Japanese, Swiss or Turkish club then my next choice for him would be somewhere like Metz or Paris FC in France, St Pauli or Nurnberg in Germany, or Parma or Cagliari in Italy.

But they'd all pay less than Middle East or MLS and Rogic will be thinking not just about World Cup selection, but also probably the last potential "big" contract of his career.

Regardless of whether or not I think you overrate the A-League (hint - I do - but that's irrelevant), one of the big problems there is the late start to the season and therefore lack of matches to demonstrate fitness and form prior to WC Squad being selected.

Any league like MLS, Japan or Korea where they're mid-season and if you can get a starting berth means a good run of games prior to November. Switzerland, Poland or second tier bigger leagues in Europe similarly will have a lot more games to be played the ALM. Turkey I like too.

Not sure it's fair to say second divisions are a waste of time....... Irvine, Genreau, Wright, Karacic, McGree, Dougall, Souttar all been playing at that standard (or lower!). Even historically, 2006 WC Squad (the gold standard if you like) had Popovic, Kennedy and Wilkshire from below top tier.

So if Rogic can't get into a good (as in title-challenging) Korean, Japanese, Swiss or Turkish club then my next choice for him would be somewhere like Metz or Paris FC in France, St Pauli or Nurnberg in Germany, or Parma or Cagliari in Italy.

But they'd all pay less than Middle East or MLS and Rogic will be thinking not just about World Cup selection, but also probably the last potential "big" contract of his career.

My mistake. In terms of European 2nd divisions Serie B, 2. Bundesliga & English Championship are definitely not a waste of time. They are better then some other countries first divisions. Championship especially is pretty good quality.

All other ones generally are and not much of a leap over A League.

I like your possible clubs for Rogic. They make sense.

In terms of a big contract in ME they always will be on offer unlike China where the league is in a dire way. Ideally for Rogic a couple of seasons playing at one of the sides you mentioned followed either by a big contract in ME or an A League marquee deal.

We have to also think of Asian Cup 2023 here in 12 months time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back