Socceroos (Graham Arnold and) The Socceroos Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the team that played Indonesia away in 2011 AFC qualifying and still managed to get a draw. Apart from Craig Moore I'd have that as a 3rd to 4th choice Socceroos at the time

View attachment 1463706
That was an A-League based squad and they could only get a draw against an Indonesian side who lost 11-1 on aggregate to Syria in the adjoining World Cup qualifying cycle to that match and that was to even make the round of matches we're talking about.

The Socceroos really aren't good enough to be taking these matches that lightly.

Don't mistake this as it not being a fairly easy path to qualification for future World Cups. It would be a disgrace to not qualify but we've been disgraceful before (see 2007 and 2019 Asian Cups).

That was an A-League based squad and they could only get a draw against an Indonesian side who lost 11-1 on aggregate to Syria in the adjoining World Cup qualifying cycle to that match and that was to even make the round of matches we're talking about.

The Socceroos really aren't good enough to be taking these matches that lightly.

I remember an A League based squad absolutely flogging Taiwan. A similar level of opponent we can expect for the 3rd and 4th teams in the group.

I reckon qualification odds from the second phase for us will be 1.01-1.05/1.

LOL @ OFC getting 1.5. A playoff between Fiji & Peru should be interesting.
Would be a blast for the players of Fiji/whichever island nation.
Tahiti got flogged at the 2013 Confeds cup but the players had a blast, especially when they scored against Nigeria.

Would be a blast for the players of Fiji/whichever island nation.
Tahiti got flogged at the 2013 Confeds cup but the players had a blast, especially when they scored against Nigeria.

This is why I am not against expanding the number of places at the WC. It gives minnow countries that otherwise would have no chance of ever making a World Cup the chance to do so.

This is why I am not against expanding the number of places at the WC. It gives minnow countries that otherwise would have no chance of ever making a World Cup the chance to do so.

Not necessarily, sure the players from these minnow nations get to experience being at a World Cup but they also most likely will run the risk of being embarrassed on the world stage against the stronger nations.
The World Cup shouldn't be a participation award it should be for the best nations in the world competing. 32 was the right fit imo. A good mix of powerful, strong, competitive nations and a small percentage of minnow nations to fill the gaps. 48 is far to many nations taking the piss out of the tournament. Regular teams ranked over 100 will be qualifying which wont be good or fun for these nations on the world stage when they are getting smashed.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, sure the players from these minnow nations get to experience being at a World Cup but they also most likely will run the risk of being embarrassed on the world stage against the stronger nations.
The World Cup shouldn't be a participation award it should be for the best nations in the world competing. 32 was the right fit imo. A good mix of powerful, strong, competitive nations and a small percentage of minnow nations to fill the gaps. 48 is far to many nations taking the piss out of the tournament. Regular teams ranked over 100 will be qualifying which wont be good or fun for these nations on the world stage when they are getting smashed.

You can't call it a World Cup when there are areas of the world with very little representation. Just rename it Big Countries Cup and be done with it then. There are 211 FIFA ranked nations. We are long past the time of having a competition for essentially the same 32 countries every 4 years. We all know that the winner will essentially come from one of 5-10 countries so why not just have those countries in the World Cup since everyone else is just filling in the gaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was always intriguing seeing big nations like Netherlands, Italy and to a lesser extent the USA miss world cups. Not anymore.

Maybe. More likely though is they'll see it as an amazing opportunity and do their best regardless of whether they win a game or have 10 put past them by one of the top teams.

How is it any different to an Olympic Games where the last place finisher in the men's marathon finished over half an hour behind the winner? Or the swimming where we sometimes have competitors waiting a minute or two for the last placed finisher to finish up prior to exiting the pool?

In those instances I don't think the embarrassment of finishing last is anywhere near great enough to overcome the joy of being there, competing on the world stage and doing their best/completing the race for themselves and for their country.

Moving from 32 to 48 won't stop the WC from being the best nations in the world competing against each other.

I don't know how you can suggest the WC shouldn't be a participation award yet then go on to suggest 32 is the right number. Are you suggesting countries like Australia, Qatar and Canada are going in with realistic opportunity to go all the way in this year's tournament?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe. More likely though is they'll see it as an amazing opportunity and do their best regardless of whether they win a game or have 10 put past them by one of the top teams.

How is it any different to an Olympic Games where the last place finisher in the men's marathon finished over half an hour behind the winner? Or the swimming where we sometimes have competitors waiting a minute or two for the last placed finisher to finish up prior to exiting the pool?

In those instances I don't think the embarrassment of finishing last is anywhere near great enough to overcome the joy of being there, competing on the world stage and doing their best/completing the race for themselves and for their country.

Moving from 32 to 48 won't stop the WC from being the best nations in the world competing against each other.

I don't know how you can suggest the WC shouldn't be a participation award yet then go on to suggest 32 is the right number. Are you suggesting countries like Australia, Qatar and Canada are going in with realistic opportunity to go all the way in this year's tournament?

I said the balance for 32 was the right fit of nations from strong to minnow. 48 is just taking the piss especially with potentially 9 AFC members qualifying. What has Asia historically done in the Tournament to derserve so many spots?

Last edited:
You can't call it a World Cup when there are areas of the world with very little representation. Just rename it Big Countries Cup and be done with it then. There are 211 FIFA ranked nations. We are long past the time of having a competition for essentially the same 32 countries every 4 years. We all know that the winner will essentially come from one of 5-10 countries so why not just have those countries in the World Cup since everyone else is just filling in the gaps.
5-10? Realistically its more like 3-4

I get it its a World Cup we need representation from all parts of the World. 32 nations was a great balance. Im just saying 48 is way to excessive and we are gonna have some junk matches.

I wish they sharpened up the qualifying path, over gra dual reduction in teams. 4/6 in each group in the final phase qualify or head to playoffs.

Crazy that we play 16 games in phase 2&3 and another 2/3 or 4 if you make the playoffs.

8 spots on offer but you need to play endless games.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said the balance for 32 was the right fit of nations from strong to minnow. 48 is just taking the piss especially with potentially 9 AFC members qualifying. What has Asia historically done in the Tournament to derserve so many spots?

I agree there are too many from Asia.

I disagree though on the minnow issue. I see greater participation as something that can only be good, though the benefits may not be seen immediately.

Each time the WC expanded there was always criticism about the quality of the field. However after a cupcake or 2 the quality improves to make it much tighter.

My only worry is that 32 gives you good balance with 8 groups of 4, into a round of 16.

Now we'll be left with 16 groups of 3 - into a round of 32, with 2 group games each and teams knowing what results they need going in to the last game. Just a bit crap.

Each time the WC expanded there was always criticism about the quality of the field. However after a cupcake or 2 the quality improves to make it much tighter.

My only worry is that 32 gives you good balance with 8 groups of 4, into a round of 16.

Now we'll be left with 16 groups of 3 - into a round of 32, with 2 group games each and teams knowing what results they need going in to the last game. Just a bit crap.
The format for this huge competition on the world stage!

papajohns.jpg

Anyone else having a go at picking Socceroos team of the century:
Screenshot_20220808-142324_Outlook.jpg
Left back I found hardest. Tossing up whether I should of put Wilkshire at left back and fit another striker on the bench.
Zelic pick, i could of easily gone with Wade starting. I didn't see Wilson and Warren play but I had to include them on the bench due to their legacies left. Every comment you read about them they were great players in their day.

I quite like the A-League Memes team.

298015759_5337613343000969_4466417417006952490_n.jpg

Nowhere near enough Ernie Tapai, Max Vieri, Ljubo Milicevic, Kasey Werhman or Alvin Ceccoli in any of these teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back