hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Mabil has found that in Denmark I reckon, seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Again finished careers vs fresh beginning ones. There was a dickload of hype around those kids when they first started out as well and they were gonna be the next stars of Australia.

Scoring against Palestine and Syria doesn't prove a pinch of s**t. Those countries would get relegated out of the championship of England.

Wait till Mabil and ikonomidis actually have to play in a game with defenders.

'Leckie has never done it... except for that one time he did it at the most important tournament on earth'

Mmmk

Yeah, accept it's not as easy as it sounds.

Tim Cahill was our top scorer in 2015, with 3 goals and we won the thing playing all 6 games. He scored against Kuwait and China and didn't fire a shot against Sth Korea x 2, UAE & Oman.

Our top assister was Luongo with 4 (to go with 2 goals) for the tournament, the rest were singles, and he won the player of the tournament.

Our other goal scorers for the tournament only scored singles; Davidson, Jedinak, Juric, Kruse, Milligan, Troisi and Sainsbury.

So apart from Cahill, 3 other attackers combined for 3 goals, the rest were scored by defenders or Luongo in the anchor or a penalty

In 2011 (In Qatar), the top scorers were Kewell x 3, Cahill x 2, Jedinak x 2, Holman x 1, Emerton x 1, Carney x 1, Kruse x 1, Valeri x 1, Ogenovski x 1. From a group of India, Bahrain and Sth Korea, we then played Iraq, Uzebkistan and Japan.

Again we made the final and played all 6 games which included a 6-0 demolition of Uzbekistan.

This was with a front line of Cahill, Kewell, Emerton, Holman & Culina and Jedinak in midfield.

In 2007, the top scorers were Viduka x 2, Cahill x 1, Kewell x 1, Beauchamp x 1, Aloisi x 1.

We lost in the 1st knockout round to Japan. Our group was Iraq, Thailand and Oman.

Our front line was Viduka, Kewell, Sterjovski, Bresciano with Grella & Culina in central midfield with Wilkshire, Neill, Emerton, Kisnorbo and Schwarzer at the back. Cahill, Holman and Aloisi were used off the bench.

In 2019 we currently have Mabil x 2, Maclaren x 1, Rogic x 1, Ikonomidis x 1, Giannou x 1.

Ikonomidis is leading the whole tournament with 4 assists, Rogic is third in the tournament with 2.

This is just after the group stage. Ikonomidis only needs another goal to match Luongo's stats from 2015, and he won player of the tournament.

As above, our top scorer in an Asian Cup is 3 (Cahill 2015, Kewell 2011), we made the final both times.

Considering Ikonomidis and Mabil had under 5 caps each before this tournament, it's actually proving a shitload. Because a heap of senior, internationally reputed footballers struggled to do it before them for us over the last 15 years, even during our "golden generation".

They are miles ahead of the likes of Kruse, Leckie etc based on this tournament alone, at the same age.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Mabil has found that in Denmark I reckon, seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds.

FC Midtjylland is the perfect club at the moment for him.

He's a key player for them, they are the reigning Danish champs, in a title race at the moment, will playoff for the Champions League and Europa League each year and have a history of developing young players and onselling them.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Mabil is the one I'm most excited for right now. I try not to get hyped for young players so I hope Mabil and Arzani don't ruin my hopes and dreams

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Mabil is the one I'm most excited for right now. I try not to get hyped for young players so I hope Mabil and Arzani don't ruin my hopes and dreams
Arzani looks outstanding, but I do see a bit of Danny De Silva in him. Let's hope not, because he looks the goods at this point.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Arzani looks outstanding, but I do see a bit of Danny De Silva in him. Let's hope not, because he looks the goods at this point.

He left the A League too early, was only just getting established. Mooy also left too early and benefited from returning to the A League. Hasn't looked back since joonimy Huddersfield.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
FC Midtjylland is the perfect club at the moment for him.

He's a key player for them, they are the reigning Danish champs, in a title race at the moment, will playoff for the Champions League and Europa League each year and have a history of developing young players and onselling them.

Yeah it is ideal for a young developing footballer. He needs to be moving on within a year or 2 otherwise his development will stall.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He left the A League too early, was only just getting established. Mooy also left too early and benefited from returning to the A League. Hasn't looked back since joonimy Huddersfield.

Yeah because the A-League has been responsible for developing such world class footballers in the past.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah because the A-League has been responsible for developing such world class footballers in the past.

The A-League can definitely stake a claim to Mooy. He was fairly average when he came from St Mirren to WSW and he made the Championship team of the year, was one of PFA player of the year nominations and Huddersfields player of the year first year out of the A-League.

Mat Ryan certainly goes ok as well. He won player of the year in the Jupiter League for Brugge straight out of the A-League.

I agree with the sentiment in general though.

tryitout

All Australian
Jan 11, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Speaking of leaving the A League too soon, wonder how Christian Theoharous is getting along. Has played 55 minutes in total (3 substitute appearances) for Borrusia Monchangladbach(?) reserves team in 6 months. Not good.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The A-League can definitely stake a claim to Mooy. He was fairly average when he came from St Mirren to WSW and he made the Championship team of the year, was one of PFA player of the year nominations and Huddersfields player of the year first year out of the A-League.

Mat Ryan certainly goes ok as well. He won player of the year in the Jupiter League for Brugge straight out of the A-League.

I agree with the sentiment in general though.
Jedinak has captained an EPL club, Rogic is a Celtic star.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Jedinak has captained an EPL club, Rogic is a Celtic star.

Jedinak certainly can be claimed, he played a fair bit for CCM.

I think Celtic claim Rogic, whilst he definately had the talent, he was an off the bench type at CCM and then a bit part player at Victory, he's turned into one of their better players under their watch.

Unlike Arzani who won young player of the year in his time in the A-League.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Was in the middle of posting about Jedinak.

Can't claim blokes like Rogic, he developed at Celtic not in Australia. Unless the blokes moved directly to first team action it means they are under developed.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

Can't claim blokes like Rogic, he developed at Celtic not in Australia. Unless the blokes moved directly to first team action it means they are under developed.
How does that mean they're under developed? Do you know what the word 'develop' means? They leave the a-league at a point, they develop more once they leave, that is the whole point of development and making the right career choices. It's on the player as much as it is the league.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
How does that mean they're under developed? Do you know what the word 'develop' means? They leave the a-league at a point, they develop more once they leave, that is the whole point of development and making the right career choices. It's on the player as much as it is the league.

Because when they get to their new clubs they basically have to be re programmed into how to be professional footballers.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

So are you saying the NSL developed no one?
Because they didnt go directly into 1st team football at the big leagues in Europe?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
They were developed enough that those teams wanted them in Europe

European teams buy up thousands of kids hoping one will click. What is abundantly clear is that they are far from ready when they get to European clubs and it's getting worse. Ikonomidis prime example.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So are you saying the NSL developed no one?
Because they didnt go directly into 1st team football at the big leagues in Europe?

Yes I'm saying players developed in the A-league aren't good enough to play regularly in top 5 leagues. They need further development

Back