Graham offered 1 week. Jack Graham that is....

Remove this Banner Ad

Was more surprised to see Kamdyn McIntosh got a fine for rough conduct, would like to see footage of that incident.
Graham probably deserved a week for a forearm to the back of the head, was a bit silly but nothing too major. I think Caddy was very unlucky and was another example of punishing the outcome rather than the action, which just seems totally stupid to me and has no deterrence value and therefore does nothing to protect players, or their heads or anything else.

and it's been appealed....

I'm in 2 minds over it...

Going by the precedent/rules from this year (and last), it should only be a fine...careless, high, low impact...

But as a general comment, I think a forearm to the head should be worth a week and way too much weight is put on the impact in such decisions....but as I said, that's not the way they've been calling it thus far.

and it's been appealed....

I'm in 2 minds over it...

Going by the precedent/rules from this year (and last), it should only be a fine...careless, high, low impact...

But as a general comment, I think a forearm to the head should be worth a week and way too much weight is put on the impact in such decisions....but as I said, that's not the way they've been calling it thus far.
What we don't know is his intention. Zorko on the footage was a little low in his posture. Did he mean to hit him in the head or the shoulder? If it was the latter, it is a fine as it was careless. If it was the former it should be a week. Does the player get to give evidence here? It is crucial to a fair outcome. Zorko bounced right up again so there was not much force in the contact.

What we don't know is his intention. Zorko on the footage was a little low in his posture. Did he mean to hit him in the head or the shoulder? If it was the latter, it is a fine as it was careless. If it was the former it should be a week. Does the player get to give evidence here? It is crucial to a fair outcome. Zorko bounced right up again so there was not much force in the contact.

If I had my way, I'd change the scale they use for punishments and make it harsher, with, among other things, more emphasis on potential for damage rather than actual damage, so a forearm to the head would be a week.

As it stands though, I agree...it should be careless/high/low impact = fine.

Thus the 'in 2 minds' bit.

Appeal dismissed. I'm not sure the tribunal has ever found in Richmond's favour on appeal, outside of melee fines. Media usually reports we've mounted a decent case, to no avail.

Oh well, we had a bit of luck after the Preliminary Final...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back