Toast Graham Wright not Mucking around at the Trade Table

Remove this Banner Ad

evidently graham had a good weekend with the family. The other list managers caught up with the mowing and odd jobs around the house. They all agreed to come in late on monday and have a morning tea and go over the stuff they discussed last week....and bitch about how the afl stuffed up their plans

Yep let’s toast a guy who continues to get screwed at every deal like Wright does. Nothing has changed in list management and his record wasn’t much better at the Hawks. We continue to be the club that gets screwed year in year out with no lube!!
How is he continually being screwed? What he did last year when our first pick was 36 in getting enough points for Daicos, Lipinski, Kreuger amongst others was a thing of brilliance. Nothing untoward this year either. Hill was always going to be a 2nd rounder. He doesn't stuff around. He sees the deal and get's it done, unlike Mackie at the pussies.

And to say his record at Hawthorn was not much better is just too ridiculous for words. Just to name a few:
Burgouyne
Gunston
Lake
Hale
Gibson
Frawly
McEvoy
Smith
Puopolo

We have traded in Hill, Frampton & brought in McStay through free agency.
Does anybody feel that we did well on any of the ins? We certainly didn't do great on the outs thus far either.
Now we have traded both our future 2nd & future 3rd round pick for next years draft.
I ain't doing a happy dance that's for sure. Hopefully these guys have a big impact next year & we can move on.
It's been so long since I've felt uplifted following a trade period. We suck at this caper.

Cannot fathom trading a future pick of worth for Frampton. How can clubs like Sydney with Murray and now Adelaide with Frampton bully us into paying something worthwhile for a likely delist candidate? Not good enough

Hill we’ve paid the same as we did for Hoskin-Elliott who’d proven so much more at the time. A future second has so much more value than our club seems to know. We hand them out like flyers.

Cannot fathom trading a future pick of worth for Frampton. How can clubs like Sydney with Murray and now Adelaide with Frampton bully us into paying something worthwhile for a likely delist candidate? Not good enough

Hill we’ve paid the same as we did for Hoskin-Elliott who’d proven so much more at the time. A future second has so much more value than our club seems to know. We hand them out like flyers.

I'm with you. There's a trade radio discussion from last year where matthew lloyd, i think, talks about bobby being worth pick 35 or similar and david king shakes his head.....and a year later after a bout of cancer, he's up in the clouds.

And then frampton hasn't done a thing and he could cost us a pick 50 or something similar...maybe even 45. They must see something in him

How is he continually being screwed? What he did last year when our first pick was 36 in getting enough points for Daicos, Lipinski, Kreuger amongst others was a thing of brilliance. Nothing untoward this year either. Hill was always going to be a 2nd rounder. He doesn't stuff around. He sees the deal and get's it done, unlike Mackie at the pussies.

And to say his record at Hawthorn was not much better is just too ridiculous for words. Just to name a few:
Burgouyne
Gunston
Lake
Hale
Gibson
Frawly
McEvoy
Smith
Puopolo

Wright was not list manager when they got Puopolo, Burgoyne, Gunston and Gibson. That was Pelchen...he topped up with Frawley and Lake and McEvoy.

If we don’t get Tom Mitchell, this trade period has been an absolute bust. So far we’ve offloaded BG to the 2021 premiers, taken on a mediocre “KPF”, a fringe 22 player, and a guy who is about to be delisted. AND we’ll almost certainly lose Ollie to the reigning premiers, for pick 25.

What a haul.

I hope all the people who have “In Wrighty we Trust” tattooed on themselves have some money set aside for laser removal just in case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is my theory on Wrights trading strategy.

Cats won the flag by having Stanley move to CHB after every centre bounce, which make them have a 7 man backline with a loose man (usually Stewart but if he was tagged one of hte other defenders running amok). Hawkins and Blicavs did the rucking around the rest of the ground so they had good cover.

Frampton and Mcstay can both ruck, play forward and back, which means with Cameron they can cover all lines and also have a 7 man backline with Naicos? loose in the backline also causing havoc... We also have Kreuger and Cox playing similar roles as backup.

I think he is playing moneyball and i reckon it has a big chance of working. I trust Wright and i trust our coach. they both have a good track record.

Anyway i could be totally wrong but thats what i see.

Not mucking around, but potentially mucking up.

I think the Ollie deal will determine a pass / fail for this trade period.
Fail = Give into the smug, or smug pickup for free in ND
Pass = Get a top 20 pick for Ollie, or Ollie re-signs (looking highly unlikely)

He has done well over the 2yr period considering the hangover effect and noose on our neck that is now gone.
To get out of Grundy deal contributing $600-650k total over 5 years is a massive win.

I’m not judging him on Henry even if we take the deal last minute because this is simply out of his hands the way it’s been manoeuvred…their time will come when they’ll be paying the piper for this.

If he can secure Mitchell tomorrow….we would have improved our side and balanced the list and books.

The fruits of Wright and co will be seen in the future years in totality

However for 2023…we would have improved our playing squad without doubt.

If we don’t get Tom Mitchell, this trade period has been an absolute bust. So far we’ve offloaded BG to the 2021 premiers, taken on a mediocre “KPF”, a fringe 22 player, and a guy who is about to be delisted. AND we’ll almost certainly lose Ollie to the reigning premiers, for pick 25.

What a haul.

I hope all the people who have “In Wrighty we Trust” tattooed on themselves have some money set aside for laser removal just in case.

The sky is falling!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What a haul.

Maybe wait till it’s all over including the draft before you melt?

Our draft hand has improved, so credit to Wright here.

Originally it was 16, 42, 47, 48

After the trade period it's 16, 25, 27, 51
That’s pretty significant given we also added Mitchell. Really good work in the end.

Just want some more concrete knowledge regarding how much we owe Grundy. But regardless, very solid

Our draft hand has improved, so credit to Wright here.

Originally it was 16, 42, 47, 48

After the trade period it's 16, 25, 27, 51
And he achieved just about all the objectives he set out to do too.
That’s all you can ask for

Now the proof will be in the pudding

We really built our depth which was a huge concern

And solve some key gaps

Tall backman
Tall versatile forward / back
Explosive little forward
Clearance machine & Brownlow winner ( at less cost most likely)
Clear Grundys massive salary ( left with a reported 650k only which could be cleared next year)

Lastly will save a huge budget on nappies with Henry gone!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back