Game Day Grand Final – Tigers vs Giants, Saturday 28th September, MCG, 2.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sad I am not allowed to write a preview in the preview thread, it's already locked. First chance I have had more than 5 minutes available after a full week. Guess I will put my thoughts here.

Thousands around Australia stand with you all today. Good luck. Enjoy the game.
Will be watching on TV with fellow Port Adelaide supporters, all are with The Giants today.
It was exactly 15 years on Wednesday that Port Adelaide won our first AFL premiership. Today it is Greater Western Sydney's turn. Make it happen. All the best.

It doesn't feel like the Giants are in a grand final.

Non-competitive home losses vs Bulldogs and Hawks in rounds 21 and 22.

After a comfortable home win in the elimination, it seemed like we were bang on target to finish this year like the last few, with a tame semi final loss. Ending up in the 5-6 positions. Another season with a handful of gritty wins but never really gathered momentum. Another season ruined by injury. Another wasted year.

Then a 3 point win away at Brisbane. I thought Brisbane were the better team but they wasted their chances and GWS hung around and were stronger in the clutch.

Then a 4 point win away at Collingwood. Slippery conditions perfectly suited to the bulldozing slog of a gamestyle the GWS lineup. Despite missing two stars GWS were dominant for most of the game and should have won more comfortably.

And so after being bang on target for another tame 5-6 finish, two heartstopping victories later we are playing in the Grand Final.

Does it mean anything for the grand final? Not sure. I feel confident the Giants will play with grit.

Other Vic vs non-Vic grand finals in the last 15 years:

2007 Geelong def Port Adelaide by 119 points
2012 Hawthorn lost to Sydney by 10 points
2013 Hawthorn def Fremantle by 15 points
2014 Hawthorn def Sydney by 63 points
2015 Hawthorn def West Coast by 46 points
2016 Bulldogs def Sydney by 22 points
2017 Richmond def Adelaide by 48 points
2018 Collingwood lost to West Coast by 5 points

This has been a procession of wins for the Vic teams. The only two non-Vic wins were the two closest margins. Clearly there is a massive advantage for the Vic teams.

So you have Richmond who have been much better than GWS over the season, and then you have them with a massive home ground advantage.

Looking at how the teams line up, they play totally different styles

Richmond are lightening quick in space. Their ideal conditions are dry and windy. Dry so the ball bounces clear into space more often. Windy so that opposition teams who want to play a kick-mark game find it much harder to do so.

GWS are strong in the contest. Their main possession getters don't have the same skills out in space as Richmonds, but they are far better when the game is congested. They are taller across the ground and strong in the air.

Richmond are a team built to avoid congestion and slice teams up with their run into space. GWS are a team built to force a congested game and win the arm wrestle.

To illustrate the point, Richmond are 17th for contested possession differential, and GWS are 2nd. Same story for clearances.

Today's weather in Melbourne: dry and a bit windy.

So you have Richmond who have been much better than GWS over the season, and then you have them with a massive home ground advantage AND THE WEATHER CONDITIONS SUIT THEM PERFECTLY.

It wouldn't be possible for the odds to be more stacked against GWS.

I will be honest, I am confident that GWS will play with grit as they always do. But I struggle to see how this team can overcome every advantage which is in Richmond's favour - the most important of which being that Richmond has been playing much better football over the last 11 weeks.

There is only one factor which makes me think GWS will win it. I don't think history has been kind to teams which enter the GF on a long winning streak.

1997 - St Kilda enter GF on a 9 match winning streak. They lose to Adelaide.
1998 - North Melbourne enter GF on an 11 match winning streak. They lose to Adelaide.
2007 - Port Adelaide enter GF on a 6 match winning streak. They lose to Geelong.
2012 - Hawthorn enter GF on a 6 match winning streak. They lose to Sydney.

So that's it guys. That's what I am hanging onto - statistics with a hint of psychology. If there's one thing those games prove, it's that grand finals aren't always won by the team with every advantage stacked in their favour.

#BigBigSound

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Y
It doesn't feel like the Giants are in a grand final.

Non-competitive home losses vs Bulldogs and Hawks in rounds 21 and 22.

After a comfortable home win in the elimination, it seemed like we were bang on target to finish this year like the last few, with a tame semi final loss. Ending up in the 5-6 positions. Another season with a handful of gritty wins but never really gathered momentum. Another season ruined by injury. Another wasted year.

Then a 3 point win away at Brisbane. I thought Brisbane were the better team but they wasted their chances and GWS hung around and were stronger in the clutch.

Then a 4 point win away at Collingwood. Slippery conditions perfectly suited to the bulldozing slog of a gamestyle the GWS lineup. Despite missing two stars GWS were dominant for most of the game and should have won more comfortably.

And so after being bang on target for another tame 5-6 finish, two heartstopping victories later we are playing in the Grand Final.

Does it mean anything for the grand final? Not sure. I feel confident the Giants will play with grit.

Other Vic vs non-Vic grand finals in the last 15 years:

2007 Geelong def Port Adelaide by 119 points
2012 Hawthorn lost to Sydney by 10 points
2013 Hawthorn def Fremantle by 15 points
2014 Hawthorn def Sydney by 63 points
2015 Hawthorn def West Coast by 46 points
2016 Bulldogs def Sydney by 22 points
2017 Richmond def Adelaide by 48 points
2018 Collingwood lost to West Coast by 5 points

This has been a procession of wins for the Vic teams. The only two non-Vic wins were the two closest margins. Clearly there is a massive advantage for the Vic teams.

So you have Richmond who have been much better than GWS over the season, and then you have them with a massive home ground advantage.

Looking at how the teams line up, they play totally different styles

Richmond are lightening quick in space. Their ideal conditions are dry and windy. Dry so the ball bounces clear into space more often. Windy so that opposition teams who want to play a kick-mark game find it much harder to do so.

GWS are strong in the contest. Their main possession getters don't have the same skills out in space as Richmonds, but they are far better when the game is congested. They are taller across the ground and strong in the air.

Richmond are a team built to avoid congestion and slice teams up with their run into space. GWS are a team built to force a congested game and win the arm wrestle.

To illustrate the point, Richmond are 17th for contested possession differential, and GWS are 2nd. Same story for clearances.

Today's weather in Melbourne: dry and a bit windy.

So you have Richmond who have been much better than GWS over the season, and then you have them with a massive home ground advantage AND THE WEATHER CONDITIONS SUIT THEM PERFECTLY.

It wouldn't be possible for the odds to be more stacked against GWS.

I will be honest, I am confident that GWS will play with grit as they always do. But I struggle to see how this team can overcome every advantage which is in Richmond's favour - the most important of which being that Richmond has been playing much better football over the last 11 weeks.

There is only one factor which makes me think GWS will win it. I don't think history has been kind to teams which enter the GF on a long winning streak.

1997 - St Kilda enter GF on a 9 match winning streak. They lose to Adelaide.
1998 - North Melbourne enter GF on an 11 match winning streak. They lose to Adelaide.
2007 - Port Adelaide enter GF on a 6 match winning streak. They lose to Geelong.
2012 - Hawthorn enter GF on a 6 match winning streak. They lose to Sydney.

So that's it guys. That's what I am hanging onto - statistics with a hint of psychology. If there's one thing those games prove, it's that grand finals aren't always won by the team with every advantage stacked in their favour.

#BigBigSound
You forgot 2008 - Geelong entered the GF on a 15 match winning streak. They lost to a team whose name I can’t quite remember...

Odd decision. I'm watching Davis he can hardly walk no matter run.

He past the test but I think lynch will run him ragged.

They must have a plan

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hard to see him lasting the whole game...if richmond wanted to put him out in the first quarter with a knee to the back in a marking contest...would be devastating on rotations in such a hard running game. Very concerning.

Hard to see him lasting the whole game...if richmond wanted to put him out in the first quarter with a knee to the back in a marking contest...would be devastating on rotations in such a hard running game. Very concerning.

Must be a reason

Could still be a late out

Did keefe warm up by any chance

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back