Game Day Grand Final 2016: Swans v Bulldogs....

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm happy for the Bulldogs, was confident all week they were going to win. They waited 62 years, it shows you how hard it is for some teams to win it all but that is all you need ..... that little break of success. You need belief for sure.

And to Kurt Tippett = have a nice fishing season!. Still stuck on 0 :D

If only Adelaide did not collapse in Round 23 vs the Eagles ...... the outcome may have been different.

Winning a premiership from 7th, it may be a once in 50 years event. But this season only 2 wins separated 1st (17-5) to 7th (15-7) - but I still think it is harder to win from 5 vs 8 than 6 vs 7.

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Hmmmm, so I guess making the 8 is actually a good thing after all.

Good thing the Doggies didn't realize you can't win outside the top 4! ;)

It is NEVER a bad thing to give yourself a chance. I truly hope it puts to rest once and for all the notion that it is somehow "better" to finish 16th than it is to finish 7th.

Congrats to the Doggies they did it the old fashioned way---they earned it!
A big hole in this theory is that you've got to be capable of actually beating the top sides.

The Dogs have the skills and run to match it with anyone.

We lack intensity, and our skills suck.

So no, to win the flag you actually need to be a realistic chance. Sure, I didn't think the Dogs were a real chance heading into the finals. But the way they dismantled the Eagles made me realise they could. After we belted the Roos, I knew it was the Swans by how much. That's the difference.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I watched the game with a group of friends ( not all obsessed AFL fans). I said before the game to watch the "quick hands" and despite everyone cheering for the Dogs, the strong impression was that the Swans were getting rogered.

It wasn't the frees that the Bulldogs received, it was all the similar frees that the Swans weren't paid.

Perhaps the umpiring was adjusted for Cola.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Can someone please explain to me how Jason Johanissen could be judged BOG today, and awarded the Norm Smith Medal?

I know he got a lot of the ball, and ran a lot of metres.. but I'm struggling to remember him hitting a teammate by foot at any stage during the game. For most of the game I'd watch him get the ball, and start a countdown - turnover in 3, 2, 1.... as he unerringly picked out one Sydney player after another. Sure, he had 9x inside 50s... but 8 of them went straight to the Cheating COLA defenders and went straight back down the other end of the field.

I could definitely understand them giving it to Tom Boyd, Liam Picken, or Marcus Bontempelli. I could even understand them giving it to Kennedy (wouldn't be the first player to win the NS medal in a losing team). But Johanissen? Seriously?

Can someone please explain to me how Jason Johanissen could be judged BOG today, and awarded the Norm Smith Medal?

I know he got a lot of the ball, and ran a lot of metres.. but I'm struggling to remember him hitting a teammate by foot at any stage during the game. For most of the game I'd watch him get the ball, and start a countdown - turnover in 3, 2, 1.... as he unerringly picked out one Sydney player after another. Sure, he had 9x inside 50s... but 8 of them went straight to the Cheating COLA defenders and went straight back down the other end of the field.

I could definitely understand them giving it to Tom Boyd, Liam Picken, or Marcus Bontempelli. I could even understand them giving it to Kennedy (wouldn't be the first player to win the NS medal in a losing team). But Johanissen? Seriously?
I was shocked too. Bont had a lot less of it but did way, waaay more damage. Can't remember a possession of his that didn't hurt Sydney. From where I was sitting, Johannison played a shocker.

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
He broke lines. That's what the game wants more of. That's what the games always been about until Neil Craig introduced his press.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've a deep desire to say that they get to the ball first.
"The Dogs get frees because they're first to the ball" is a myth. Everyone trots that excuse out under the assumption it's true. If it's true, by rights the other teams who are high in contested possessions should also have great FK differential but they don't, because they get pinged for holding the ball, etc.

Before today, Sydney averaged 164.2 CP per game, they're 15th in FK differential (-1.5).
GWS (150.2) are 17th (-2.2).
WB (149.6) are obviously 1st (+4.0).
Geelong (149.0) are 16th (-1.7).

One team is the outlier, and it's the ones who were kissed on the dick by umpires all season long.

The judges for the Norm Smith Medal are not good judges of football

Brad Johnson (Fox Footy) - Johannisen 3, Kennedy 2, Boyd 1.
Emma Quayle (The Age) - Boyd 3, Johannisen 2, Kennedy 1.
Wayne Carey (Channel 7) - Boyd 3, Picken 2, Kennedy 1.
Michael Voss (SEN 1116) - Johannisen 3, Picken 2, Kennedy 1.
Jay Clark (Herald Sun) - Kennedy 3, Johannisen 2, Picken 1.

Wayne Carey had it right

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Huge day. I'm cooked. But exlaimed to my mates... Every far ken kick was a turnover

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
The judges for the Norm Smith Medal are not good judges of football

Brad Johnson (Fox Footy) - Johannisen 3, Kennedy 2, Boyd 1.
Emma Quayle (The Age) - Boyd 3, Johannisen 2, Kennedy 1.
Wayne Carey (Channel 7) - Boyd 3, Picken 2, Kennedy 1.
Michael Voss (SEN 1116) - Johannisen 3, Picken 2, Kennedy 1.
Jay Clark (Herald Sun) - Kennedy 3, Johannisen 2, Picken 1.

Wayne Carey had it right
For such a prestigious award, that's a shocking panel.

alexmc

Debutant
Jul 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
"The Dogs get frees because they're first to the ball" is a myth. Everyone trots that excuse out under the assumption it's true. If it's true, by rights the other teams who are high in contested possessions should also have great FK differential but they don't, because they get pinged for holding the ball, etc.

Before today, Sydney averaged 164.2 CP per game, they're 15th in FK differential (-1.5).
GWS (150.2) are 17th (-2.2).
WB (149.6) are obviously 1st (+4.0).
Geelong (149.0) are 16th (-1.7).

One team is the outlier, and it's the ones who were kissed on the dick by umpires all season long.
I wont deny that the dogs are heavily favoured by umps and they constantly cheat by throwing and ducking. But they do seem to get to the ball first more often than not and they are willing to put their body on the line and dive in to win the ball while their opponent is busy trying to keep their feet. Seen it time and time again this final series. They are like some starving mongrel dog after a chunk of meat. I wish some of our players would be like that, only sloane is anywhere near that level of hunger.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
For such a prestigious award, that's a shocking panel.

Agreed Brad Johnson a former Bulldogs player probably shouldn't be on the panel unless a former Sydney player is on the panel as well.
Emma Quayle a great journalist but not sure about a judge.
Voss shouldn't be on the panel when he is an assistant coach for Port.
Jay Clark - we all know what kind of hack he is.

I think Johansson played well though.
But always felt if he were playing for us we'd be giving him s**t about burning the ball.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Silgni

Senior List
Jun 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agreed Brad Johnson a former Bulldogs player probably shouldn't be on the panel unless a former Sydney player is on the panel as well.

I believe he was selected weeks ago... back when it looked like the Bulldogs were no chance of making the granny.

Back