• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Totally agree.
The tigers defence is outstanding lead by Rance.Richmond just played the the modern game perfectly.

Great defence,above average midfield and a fast,pressuring front front six.
Brendan Gale and Peggy O’Neal should get a lot of the credit. Would have been easy to move Dimma on and get a new coach and go into rebuild mode, but they hung tough. They did a thorough football review and made the big calls that needed to happen. Swapped out almost every assistant coach to get the right support around Dimma. If only Alcock and Roisch could be so brave and follow suit. Although, it must be difficult trying to lure talented assistants across the nullabor, especially since most will have young families. Four year rebuild it is. Heave ho!

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you underrated Richmond luck and medical team . Last week they had 17 AfL listed players play VFL GF and this week a different set of 22 players playing in GF . That is a very healthy playing list of 39 players.

I doubt that has ever happened (having 39 players available) for us especially in the last 5 or so years. Even during preseason we can't achieve that.

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo
Well one has been unavailable for almost two years since Jack Riewoldt pushed him in the back in a pack causing him to break his ankle. Still does it and gets away with it.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unfortunately our inability to take our chances cost us the flag in 2013. The game was there to be won we just didn't convert as simple as that.

Kick straight in 2013 we win.

We dominated the stats everywhere but the scoreboard.

We are also the only team since 2010 to lose the grand final as the lowest ranked team.

It hurts that much in that watching grand finals haven't been the same since 2013

Knowing pav never became a premiership player unlike some spuds have in the last few years.

It might've also helped if all of our players were wearing boots with spikes instead of ice skates and we didn't continually bomb the ball long to Pav outnumbered 2 and sometimes 3 against in the second half when it clearly wasn't working.

The only similarity between yesterday's Richmond and our 2013 was that we both went in underdogs.

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I doubt that has ever happened (having 39 players available) for us especially in the last 5 or so years. Even during preseason we can't achieve that.
If we don't improve our conditioning and injury management we just make our own life so difficult. I think Adelaide had a whopping 5 players unavailable - something we rarely (if ever) achieve.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anyone else reckon adelaide may have missed their chance for a flag. And their window may be gone.

If they lose lever and Cameron thats an important piece from both ends.

Eddie betts isn't getting any younger.

Jacobs will be 30 next year.

And a loss like that is more haunting then the one we had because of the way they played were expected to win were on top of ladder all year and clear standout team.

I reckon they will struggle to back it up next year.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Had Riewoldt not pushed him he wouldn't have broke it in the first place

Still could've been playing this year if managed correctly which is the point of the convo.

Don't worry about Jack, karma will get him, he'll never win a flag or experience any success due to him pushing one of our players in the back :rolleyes:

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Am I right, or am I right?! Been saying for years Taylor Walker is incredibly overrated and useless in big games.

He wasn't useless though?

Was one of Adelaide's better players and did as much as Reiwoldt did despite Richmond smashing Adelaide in the midfield.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Older lists generally have more injuries than younger lists. We are going to have a fairly long injury list at some point next year because guys like Sandi, MJ, Ballas won't be able to play out a full year.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Adelaide lost it in the midfield. They were the better team all year and they choked.

Something must be done about the GF location though. It is simply inequitable that Victorians have a monopoly on the GF.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
What impressed me most about them in the finals was their resolve & belief. No matter what was thrown at them they just steadied & played harder till momentum went back their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep,Total buy in and belief in what they were doing and trying to achieve.
It honestly wasnt much difference to us in 13 ,the geelong win proved it ,reinforced the next wek against sydney unfortunately when ii came to the big one ,our team went back into there shells,where as the tiges didnt and continued to believe.

Annnnnd here is where the one major factor/ difference (that i still think gets downplayed) between us and richmond.....HOME GROUND ADVANTAGE......the tigers played the gf,indeed every final at their home ground (despite finishing fourth) with massive crowd support. We played there in 13 'season what twice? Hell apparently we were only even given very minimal time to even warm up out on the ground and practice shots.

Not going to change soon so we best deal with it. Im hoping this is where the new stadium really pays off for us performance wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brendan Gale and Peggy O’Neal should get a lot of the credit. Would have been easy to move Dimma on and get a new coach and go into rebuild mode, but they hung tough. They did a thorough football review and made the big calls that needed to happen. Swapped out almost every assistant coach to get the right support around Dimma. If only Alcock and Roisch could be so brave and follow suit. Although, it must be difficult trying to lure talented assistants across the nullabor, especially since most will have young families. Four year rebuild it is. Heave ho!
Their best recruit last season and Collingwood's worst decision was Neale Balme. He knows how to run a premiership winning side.

I don't think Adelaide have lost their chance at a flag at all, they are smack bang in in the right place from a list profile perspective even without Lever and Cameron. With McGovern and Smith coming back they'll be fine.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle

Was one of Adelaide's better players and did as much as Reiwoldt did despite Richmond smashing Adelaide in the midfield.
Your kidding right?, Reiwoldt while not outstanding was far more influential than tex. He also missed 3 shots on goal.
Tex was useless only less useless than than his mate jenkins.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle

He was one of their most disappointing (backed up by the afl website ratings and fox footy, fox sports). The captain failed and failed very badly. 4 touches to half time, missed two shots on goal, didn't lead up the ground to help the players out. Kicked 2 goals when it was game over, one from a free kick, not a mark. Walker choked. Fox Sports from memory rated from 40/44, 4th worst on ground and AFL website gave him 3/10. Captain was s**t.

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
The old story - the forward line of the team losing the midfield battle generally looks crap. At least Tex withstood the pressure of kicking the "must kick" goals in H2 when 40 out and in front. His misses were on very oblique angles.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The old story - the forward line of the team losing the midfield battle generally looks crap.

You'd think that would be obvious to anyone who'd watched more than a couple of games of AFL before, but it has to be explained to people on here pretty much every week.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
You'd think that would be obvious to anyone who'd watched more than a couple of games of AFL before, but it has to be explained to people on here pretty much every week.
My bad, forgot ydraw knows more about footy than professionals and ex players. Here I was agreeing with most of Australia, even Adelaide fans that Tex was s**t. In your logic, was Jenkins fine, it was just the midfield that let him down?

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
My bad, forgot ydraw knows more about footy than professionals and ex players. Here I was agreeing with most of Australia, even Adelaide fans that Tex was s**t. In your logic, was Jenkins fine, it was just the midfield that let him down?

Jenkins was awful, mostly because he couldn't even play the decoy role properly. Rance was probably BOG and he was playing on Jenkins.

None of the Adelaide forwards did much, that doesn't mean they are s**t. That is what happens when your midfield gets smashed. It doesn't go in your forward line a lot. Adelaide have the best forward line in the league, that has been plain as day all season. But it doesn't matter how good your forward line is if you can't get the ball down there.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jenkins was awful, mostly because he couldn't even play the decoy role properly. Rance was probably BOG and he was playing on Jenkins.

None of the Adelaide forwards did much, that doesn't mean they are s**t. That is what happens when your midfield gets smashed. It doesn't go in your forward line a lot. Adelaide have the best forward line in the league, that has been plain as day all season. But it doesn't matter how good your forward line is if you can't get the ball down there.
Otten played on Rance for starters. When the ball doesn't come down there, lead up the ground and help your teammates out. Ball went into the crows fifty more than enough in the first term. He selfishly took the ball off Eddie and missed it completely. Captain was very poor.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Otten played on Rance for starters. When the ball doesn't come down there, lead up the ground and help your teammates out. Ball went into the crows fifty more than enough in the first term. He selfishly took the ball off Eddie and missed it completely. Captain was very poor.
Losing team players will always look Poor. Nobody will remember runner up .

Back