Game Day Grand final 2017 Tigers v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, there's no great mystery in Richmond's win, and I'm not sure why Grant Thomas is 'puzzled' by it:
- Adelaide were overrated, especially their midfield.
- Richmond got stronger as the year went on. Their lesser players became less of a liability while Martin burst through the stratosphere.
- Few injuries to Richmond, a couple of key injuries to Adelaide.
- MCG: it was a factor.
- Game Plan: they had a plan to strangle Adelaide's run and transition, and the players did a fine job of carrying out the plan.

The Thomas assessment might seem more valid if Richmond sink like the Bulldogs next season, but right now it seems a bit ungenerous. But as CFC2010 pointed out, the winners are grinners and will hardly care about Thomas' thoughts.
The chances are Richmond will have a down year, next year, the hang over will last long. Not bulldogs type though. As for Thomas though they will not care and nor should they, good on them.
Wish it was us, may next year.
Strange that Thomas does not get it in a way as it is and has been afl policy to have the competition like this. If a blind freddy like me can see it, makes me wonder about so called experts

One thing I didn't understand during that last quarter was the relatively subdued Richmond crowd. Where was the chant? I was expecting at least half a quarter of chanting from the New Tiger Army. Tiger Army pfft! For all the hoopla and hype of the noise at ground level, it didn't sound like the celebration of a 37 year wait.

I was hoping the Crows would kill them, but Adelaide picked GF day to play their worst game of the year. Did they choke? Looks like it. So many of their stars didn't even give a yelp. And Seeds played true to form didn't he? I have a tiny bit of sympathy for the fans though; that was a terrible day for them. Of course, I've sat through plenty of days like that at GFs and nobody ever gave us a shred of sympathy or understanding.

One thing I didn't understand during that last quarter was the relatively subdued Richmond crowd. Where was the chant? I was expecting at least half a quarter of chanting from the New Tiger Army. Tiger Army pfft! For all the hoopla and hype of the noise at ground level, it didn't sound like the celebration of a 37 year wait.

I was hoping the Crows would kill them, but Adelaide picked GF day to play their worst game of the year. Did they choke? Looks like it. So many of their stars didn't even give a yelp. And Seeds played true to form didn't he? I have a tiny bit of sympathy for the fans though; that was a terrible day for them. Of course, I've sat through plenty of days like that at GFs and nobody ever gave us a shred of sympathy or understanding.

I don't think anyone can really tell anything about a team's mental state before the bounce, but in any case Adelaide seemed somewhat overawed and subdued before the game. Their 'stance' during the national anthem was unconvincing, even if it 'worked' in the previous finals. Beyond that, they had a Sydney 2014 feel about them: a team which just wasn't willing to go hard enough on the day. As happy as Tiger fans deserve to be, I reckon that Adelaide fans are entitled to some deep disappointment with their team.

You're right about the crowd in the final quarter. There should have been more noise. Were they unwilling or unable to believe that it was really happening? Maybe.

Agree, not much chanting in the last quarter, but in the last 10 minutes, there was lots of singing the song. It was breaking out in different parts of the ground.

Of course, I've sat through plenty of days like that at GFs and nobody ever gave us a shred of sympathy or understanding.

Yes to this too. After the game I walked up to Wellington Pde with two older Crows fans, and commiserated with them. Their view was that Adelaide had been in three GFs, and now had lost one. I was about to tell them I'd seen more lost GFs than they'd had hot breakfasts, but thought better if it.

Oh the pain we've experienced...

And how did Josh Jenkins climb to the lofty heights of the 41st ranked player? WOG by a mile imo. Along with Walker, certainly the biggest disappointments anyway.
I think the rankings on the AFL site are more accurate; Jacobs 7/10, Jenkins 1/10, Walker 3/10, Nankervis 4/10.

Overall lots of 3s for the crows, but only Atkins and Otten (both 2/10) plus Jenkins were ranked at less than 3. McIntosh and Nankervis (both 4/10) were the only tigers ranked at less than 5.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-30/every-crow-rated-from-the-grand-final
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-30/every-tiger-rated-from-the-grand-final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back