Women's Footy Grand Final 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Now we just need to hold the team together from being picked a part by the new teams over the next two years. Genuinely believe we can win multiple premierships with this group is we hold the majority together. Blackburn, Kearney, Brennen, Conti, Huntington, Scott, Lamb should all be part of the list of untouchables. Unfortunately the women's game doesn't pay heaps, so our fringe stars could easily and understandably be lured to another club for money as their marque/top end paid players

What a magnificent achevement by our wonderful women's team.

Bloody thrilled and proud of all of them, was fantastic to be at Princes Park yesterday.

Ellie Blackburn and Monique Conti, unbelievable yesterday. Was great to see Katie get up and lift the cup.

Well done girls, you did our club proud - I hope all of us are getting right around them.

Premiers!

At least with the points system scrapped, it's not an inevitability. She can choose to stay if she wants. A flag could prompt her to leave or stay, who knows.
Will we be the last AFLW premier ? I could see some
meetings being held at AFL house on Monday after
some of the goings on last week and some questions
being asked. Let us hope not.

Will we be the last AFLW premier ? I could see some
meetings being held at AFL house on Monday after
some of the goings on last week and some questions
being asked. Let us hope not.

Quite a few men who hate AFLW would be hoping so. But, you're not one of those....are you?

Quite a few men who hate AFLW would be hoping so. But, you're not one of those....are you?
No DexterTan, I am a huge fan of the girls, i even had
a look at the NTFL women's grand final played between
the Wanderers and the Darwin Buffaloes. I thought the
whole farce of the appeal last week went against the
simple acceptance of the rule of law which was signed
off by the players and designed not to impact too
harshly on them in a financial sense. To open up the
issue of gender discrimination in a competition that has
been going for two years would have shocked the AFL.

I wrote this simple poem in the media thread :
I went to Katie Brennan's gym,
To do a workout was my plan,
But she told me to get out,
Because i was a man.
Now i must clarify that i actually never went to her
gym because it is a ladies gym and i respect that
she has the right to have rules and i as a man have
to accept those rules, i have never trained at fernwood
either. Now i realize this is a subtle point, but i hope,
1- That you get it. And
2- That i am not judged as a sexist for making it.

No DexterTan, I am a huge fan of the girls, i even had
a look at the NTFL women's grand final played between
the Wanderers and the Darwin Buffaloes. I thought the
whole farce of the appeal last week went against the
simple acceptance of the rule of law which was signed
off by the players and designed not to impact too
harshly on them in a financial sense. To open up the
issue of gender discrimination in a competition that has
been going for two years would have shocked the AFL.

I wrote this simple poem in the media thread :
I went to Katie Brennan's gym,
To do a workout was my plan,
But she told me to get out,
Because i was a man.
Now i must clarify that i actually never went to her
gym because it is a ladies gym and i respect that
she has the right to have rules and i as a man have
to accept those rules, i have never trained at fernwood
either. Now i realize this is a subtle point, but i hope,
1- That you get it. And
2- That i am not judged as a sexist for making it.
I would think Gordo put her up to it. I like it whenever anyone sticks it up the AwFL but really think [appeal to the HR Commission] this was a bit much. The AFL won't be too fazed by it so it will be play on for the Ladies

I would think Gordo put her up to it. I like it whenever anyone sticks it up the AwFL but really think [appeal to the HR Commission] this was a bit much. The AFL won't be too fazed by it so it will be play on for the Ladies
Gordon explained that today in his interview. Something about it being a prerequisite to them going to court or something along those lines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kearney crowned AFLW best and fairest
March 27, 2018 9:30 PM

577719-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 27: Emma Kearney of the Bulldogs is awarded the AFLW Best and Fairest award during the W Awards at the Peninsula on March 27, 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Media)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Emma Kearney has been crowned the 2018 AFLW best and fairest player at the W Awards on Tuesday night.

Kearney finished with 14 votes, five votes ahead of Fremantle's Dana Hooker, Chloe Molloy and Courtney Gum, who all tied for second place.

Fellow Bulldog midfielder Ellie Blackburn was next on the leaderboard with six votes.

The win capped off a remarkable individual season for the 28-year-old who led the competition in disposals, averaging 19.6 per game, in rebound 50s with 3.6 per game and ranked second for inside 50s (3.9 per game) and clearances (5 per game).

Kearney was also named in the AFLW All-Australian team alongside teammates, Blackburn, Brooke Lochland and Hannah Scott.

Hopefully she can translate her success to the Melbourne Stars as well.

Come to think of it- a lot of our team play other sports very well.

Lochland, Conti, Birch, Spark come immediately to mind.

LAP OF HONOUR
Following the AFLW premiership triumph of the Western Bulldogs women’s team last Saturday, the team will be recognised in front of the Bulldog faithful at this Sunday’s AFL home match against West Coast at Etihad Stadium.

As part of the recognition of the Bulldogs’ AFLW premiership team, the women’s playing group will complete a lap of honour at half time, handing out footballs to lucky fans as they make their way around the ground.

To ensure AFLW members that followed the women’s team on their premiership journey can be there to join in the celebrations, they will be able to scan in for FREE general admission access to Etihad Stadium, by using the barcode on the back of their membership card.

A dedicated AFLW members bay has been created for this Sunday’s match, located at Level 1, Aisle 44 that AFLW members can access by showing their membership card at the aisle.

This dedicated Level 1 bay is strictly limited, and once at capacity, members will have access to Level 3 general admission seating.

LAP OF HONOUR
Following the AFLW premiership triumph of the Western Bulldogs women’s team last Saturday, the team will be recognised in front of the Bulldog faithful at this Sunday’s AFL home match against West Coast at Etihad Stadium.

As part of the recognition of the Bulldogs’ AFLW premiership team, the women’s playing group will complete a lap of honour at half time, handing out footballs to lucky fans as they make their way around the ground.

Great to see them being recognised today

A bit of old new from the Bulldogs AFLW B&F since no-one's posted about it yet. Didn't know where else to post it, so for those who care:

AFLW Best and Fairest – top 10

Emma Kearney - 121
Ellie Blackburn - 114
Kirsty Lamb - 107
Lauren Spark - 106
Libby Birch - 100
Jenna Bruton – 98
Brooke Lochland – 96
Monique Conti – 95
Hannah Scott – 91
Angelica Gogos – 86

Most Improved Player: Brooke Lochland
Best First Year Player: Monique Conti
Coaches award: Kirsten McLeod
Player's Player award: Ellie Blackburn
Trainer's award: Hannah Scott
Rebel Young Leaders award: Libby Birch

Congrats to all winners. Also Brooke Lochland was the leading goalkicker this season with 12 goals, but there was no mention of any award being formally presented on the night, in the article or on the AFLW social media platforms, so thought I might as well mention it here.

Article: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-03-29/kearney-crowned-bulldogs-best-and-fairest

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back