AFL Grand Final Grand Final, 2020: Richmond v Geelong

Who will be premiers?

• Tigers

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Cats

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll have it on in the background, but have no interest in the result or the spectacle, it'll at least be counted as a view, well done AFL and all that in sucking the fat one and being inept at all the things then going "oh, might need to do something about that...".

Go the Sunbury guys so suppose by proxy Geelong can win, but eh.

That sounds pretty damn good.

Your weather must be heading south around now. I have images of a UK winter with treks across boggy moors to look at Iron Age rock piles on a craggy headland in a squall. Sounds heaps better than lying around in the sun at a villa.

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll have it on in the background, but have no interest in the result or the spectacle, it'll at least be counted as a view, well done AFL and all that in sucking the fat one and being inept at all the things then going "oh, might need to do something about that...".

Go the Sunbury guys so suppose by proxy Geelong can win, but eh.

Yeah out of all the gfs to not be in Victoria and on at night I'm ok with it being this one. Gonna be weird with the game starting so late.

Whats everyone's plans in metro Melb? Watching in a park could work but weather's looking pretty s**t house for that idea. Suppose we'll be 8 hours into it by that stage though.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Your weather must be heading south around now. I have images of a UK winter with treks across boggy moors to look at Iron Age rock piles on a craggy headland in a squall. Sounds heaps better than lying around in the sun at a villa.

I worked in field Archaeology over here for private companies for 15 years...and am still involved (from the safety of my own home) the novelty of excavating neolithic, and Bronze age settlements in mud up to your armpits and ditch water up to your knees becomes tedious after awhile.
Winter is 8 months of the year in Ireland...a bit of sun ALWAYS sounds good to me 🙂

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Will be watching in a pub in Germany (Frankfurt) with our local AFL team. The late start is great for us as it means a 10.30am start here, rather than the usual 6am. Although it is fun being plastered by 8am on a Saturday morning.

Hoping for a cats win, can tolerate them more than Richmond

A few HB's and Lowenbrau's sound mighty nice.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Went from a "must watch, everyone wins" with Port vs Lions to "Must watch to see the Lions win" with Richmond vs Lions to, "I loathe either outcome and have zero interest in it, will probably do something else."

My only wish is I cant organise a thousand people to hand out rotten fruit to throw because I loathe richmond and despise geelong.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't really understand how any Saints supporter can be going for Geelong. I can't stand them.

In late 90s/early 00s we had been equally unsuccessful for a long time. Cats since 1963, us since 1966. Then the Cats started to get super lucky with drafting and father-sons. 1999: Enright, Corey, Chapman, Ling, Mooney. 2001: Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Ablett.

When we played them in a pre-season game in 2004 (Cameron Ling presumably still remembers Stephen Powell's elbow) both young teams were on the rise. We looked better for a while, but then Ablett turned into the player he is now and they went past us in a flash, won the flag in 2007.

In 2009 we were both very good, played in round 14 when both teams were undefeated and on top of the ladder. We won a classic (Harry Taylor presumably still remembers Michael Gardiner's elbow) and kept winning.

But then in the GF we didn't take our chances, they cheated a couple of times (Hawkins hit the post, Chapman got treatment on the sidelines that was illegal a couple of months later) and we ended up losing a flag that was ours to win.

And then we couldn't quite win it the next year either, while they went on to pick up another flag. So three flags to none in the last 20 years. And the most annoying thing about that side is that a bunch of them were flogs - led by Scarlett but Mooney and Chapman and others were proper w***ers too. They love whinging at umpires, none more than Selwood with his ducking.

But the worst part is that they're now in such a privileged position, which they're absolutely making the most of. They have a "special" location, which gives them a proper home ground (which most others don't get) and a serious drawcard for players. They got two of the absolute best players in the comp (Dangerfield and Ablett the second time) for relatively little, they gave us nothing for Jack Steven, they'll be nominated by Cameron, by Crouch etc. They don't have to pay too much for players and they get the Falcons basically as a farm team.

I can't stand the privileged clubs, which is mainly Geelong and West Coast. Even Collingwood still have a lot of the same challenges as the other Melbourne clubs, but Geelong have a lucky position which is going to last them forever.

I don't love Richmond, but Geelong are a bunch of w***ers and I hope they lose by 120 points. Either that or 1 point from a dodgy decision on the siren.

I worked in field Archaeology over here for private companies for 15 years...and am still involved (from the safety of my own home) the novelty of excavating neolithic, and Bronze age settlements in mud up to your armpits and ditch water up to your knees becomes tedious after awhile.
Winter is 8 months of the year in Ireland...a bit of sun ALWAYS sounds good to me 🙂

I couldn't believe what passes for summer in the UK. It was like a mild winter day in Melbourne. It would be an awesome gig though, apart from the cold bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
I couldn't believe what passes for summer in the UK. It was like a mild winter day in Melbourne. It would be an awesome gig though, apart from the cold bit.

When we were in St.Ives in Cornwell it was a sunny blue sky day and 24 deg. The locals were getting the vapours because of the heat, was like a nice spring day from my perspective.

I don't really understand how any Saints supporter can be going for Geelong. I can't stand them.

In late 90s/early 00s we had been equally unsuccessful for a long time. Cats since 1963, us since 1966. Then the Cats started to get super lucky with drafting and father-sons. 1999: Enright, Corey, Chapman, Ling, Mooney. 2001: Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Ablett.

When we played them in a pre-season game in 2004 (Cameron Ling presumably still remembers Stephen Powell's elbow) both young teams were on the rise. We looked better for a while, but then Ablett turned into the player he is now and they went past us in a flash, won the flag in 2007.

In 2009 we were both very good, played in round 14 when both teams were undefeated and on top of the ladder. We won a classic (Harry Taylor presumably still remembers Michael Gardiner's elbow) and kept winning.

But then in the GF we didn't take our chances, they cheated a couple of times (Hawkins hit the post, Chapman got treatment on the sidelines that was illegal a couple of months later) and we ended up losing a flag that was ours to win.

And then we couldn't quite win it the next year either, while they went on to pick up another flag. So three flags to none in the last 20 years. And the most annoying thing about that side is that a bunch of them were flogs - led by Scarlett but Mooney and Chapman and others were proper w***ers too. They love whinging at umpires, none more than Selwood with his ducking.

But the worst part is that they're now in such a privileged position, which they're absolutely making the most of. They have a "special" location, which gives them a proper home ground (which most others don't get) and a serious drawcard for players. They got two of the absolute best players in the comp (Dangerfield and Ablett the second time) for relatively little, they gave us nothing for Jack Steven, they'll be nominated by Cameron, by Crouch etc. They don't have to pay too much for players and they get the Falcons basically as a farm team.

I can't stand the privileged clubs, which is mainly Geelong and West Coast. Even Collingwood still have a lot of the same challenges as the other Melbourne clubs, but Geelong have a lucky position which is going to last them forever.

I don't love Richmond, but Geelong are a bunch of w***ers and I hope they lose by 120 points. Either that or 1 point from a dodgy decision on the siren.

******* hell im a bit depressed now
God damn 04 and 09
And 10 wouldve been the miracle comeback fairytale back to back with bj and lenny dragging ua over the line.
God damn footy gods
giphy (74).gif

I came out from uk in the early 80s and didn't wear a jumper at school for two years
Wondered what all the fuss was about come june/july

Greg1853

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's hard to get motivated for it...but I'll be going for Geelong. The old bastards can get it out of their system, then they can fall off a cliff with 15 retirements announced in the off season.
F*CK Richmond.
Hope Cotchin gets KO'd running out of the tunnel before the first bounce by an errant pigeon, Dusty plays like crap, and Lynch single handedly Loses them the game by kicking it out on the full after the final siren.
Geelong by 5 points...but probably Richmond by 20.

This, along with a shocker from the inferior Riewoldt that leaves him with nightmares for years to come.....and to think I don't usually crave seeing people miserable......rabid Tiger in-laws do that to you.

Greg1853

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

Add in our loss to Geelong in our first final for many years in 1991. Even plugger missed a set shot from the edge of the goalsquare. Ablett knocked out Nathan Burke early in the game (he had a different playing style to jnr!), and we put up a mighty fight, but just couldn't edge them. Miserable weekend that as the day before I played in my first losing GF.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Add in our loss to Geelong in our first final for many years in 1991. Even plugger missed a set shot from the edge of the goalsquare. Ablett knocked out Nathan Burke early in the game (he had a different playing style to jnr!), and we put up a mighty fight, but just couldn't edge them. Miserable weekend that as the day before I played in my first losing GF.

Oh yeah, how did I forget that. Didn't he knock out Burkey and David Grant as well? I hated him after that.

Back