AFL Grand Final Grand Final, 2021: Melbourne v Western Bulldogs

Who will be premiers?

• Melbourne

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a pretty good spectacle for a neutral in the end. Dees got away early and when the Doggies started hitting back I thought the Dees would turn to water. That group has amazing resilience and a fantastic culture.
Absolutely stoked for all Demons fans, that was an amazing win.
We need to keep making incremental steps to becoming elite across the board or Carlton will surpass us - the melts if that happens will be legendary, even for BF standards.

I'm not trying to boast about it, I'm saying that everyone agreed it wasn't the correct call. I'm just sick of talking about it, Trout is long gone along with Richo there's really not much more we can do but everyone seems to want to go over it again and again because it gives them some kind of sick joy to wallow in misery.

Everyone makes mistakes at the draft, as pointed out the Dees have made plenty.
Was not directed at you lewdogs and my point is the same as yours. Sick of it.

Just Paddy doesn't get concussed, ends up like Schache and we don't get Max. Things aren't linear.

Mate it was the concensus at the time that it was a shocking decision, 95% of us agreed. Some of us are just tired of going over it again and again.

do not blame those of us who knew picking mccartin was stupid.

Blame those On this board who have tried to defend the decision. They are the Ones sick of hearing it because they have been proven 100% wrong.

plenty have tried to write off Petracca over the years.

the kid is a gun.

Dumbest number 1 selection in the history of the draft.

trout should of been sacked within 24 hours of that draft.

do not blame those of us who knew picking mccartin was stupid.

Blame those On this board who have tried to defend the decision. They are the Ones sick of hearing it because they have been proven 100% wrong.

plenty have tried to write off Petracca over the years.

the kid is a gun.

Dumbest number 1 selection in the history of the draft.

trout should of been sacked within 24 hours of that draft.

I want to see the blokes who run this club held accountable. The move to Seaford, the horrid drafting, Steele talking about the poor standards at the club this year and lifting them to the required level, hiring poor assistants and feel free to add more anyone reading this.

This club has 50k+ members and gets money from the AFL, so it's millions of dollars swirling around. Is is wrong to expect high standards? As it is, the people running the show fk things up then tuck tail and run elsewhere. They should be put in medieval stocks for us to throw sht at them before they depart at the very least!

Hell this even went back to the 2000s with Rod Butters, the alco and druggie who admits himself he had no idea what he was doing.

Was the problem then and it's still a problem, so again, who holds them accountable for bonehead decisions and lack of professionalism.

I want to see the blokes who run this club held accountable. The move to Seaford, the horrid drafting, Steele talking about the poor standards at the club this year and lifting them to the required level, hiring poor assistants and feel free to add more anyone reading this.

This club has 50k+ members and gets money from the AFL, so it's millions of dollars swirling around. Is is wrong to expect high standards? As it is, the people running the show fk things up then tuck tail and run elsewhere. They should be put in medieval stocks for us to throw sht at them before they depart at the very least!

Hell this even went back to the 2000s with Rod Butters, the alco and druggie who admits himself he had no idea what he was doing.

Was the problem then and it's still a problem, so again, who holds them accountable for bonehead decisions and lack of professionalism.
Who cares what has happened in the past. It’s over and it can’t change. Look at the present and look into the future. We are back at Moorabbin and it’s a fantastic facility. We have new coaches who come with good credentials. Our recruiting looks to have improved. Imagine if Melbourne lived in their past. They would make us look ok.

That board and that recruiting department is gone.

Right now St Kilda pretty good off field.

Every team gets picks wrong and yeah we should have gone for Petracca but maybe this year we get the next Leigh matthews.

That board and that recruiting department is gone.

Right now St Kilda pretty good off field.

Every team gets picks wrong and yeah we should have gone for Petracca but maybe this year we get the next Leigh matthews.
Exactly. I don’t see how the past effects the future. Surely Melbourne Richmond the dogs prove that.

Exactly. I don’t see how the past effects the future. Surely Melbourne Richmond the dogs prove that.
I don't think dees fans are caring that they went for Scully and Trengove over Martin or Watts over Nic Nat.

I am very happy with our current board and drafting, We are nailing the later picks which is always a good sign get 2 AA tier mids and who knows maybe 2022 is our year.

If Melbourne winning a flag after being a basketcase for the best part of a decade and having the longest drought in footy broken can’t spur our players on to absolutely attack this pre season and get the most out themselves, then I’m afraid nothings going to get this group motivated to win anything.

Because even though it was good seeing Melb win, it hurts knowing it still eludes us. Needs to burn in the players psyche all summer long and they need to come out like madmen next season.

Kind of sad yet again the day after, to see opposition supporters out enjoying their GF win- this time the Demons. I've seen our Sainters lose quite a few when probably we should have won at least one in that time. Always one or two of our better players have bad days, or the opposition coach pulls a radical positional move and catches us out. I guess we need to build just hugely good and strong team that can cover a couple of passengers in big games.

Yes we can say at the time the call was wrong. However, we will never know how good or bad Paddy coudl've been. Anytime he started to show something he would get injured or concussed. So yea obviously it was the wrong call in hinesite.

Kind of sad yet again the day after, to see opposition supporters out enjoying their GF win- this time the Demons. I've seen our Sainters lose quite a few when probably we should have won at least one in that time. Always one or two of our better players have bad days, or the opposition coach pulls a radical positional move and catches us out. I guess we need to build just hugely good and strong team that can cover a couple of passengers in big games.
Also we come against a Geelong team that was a generatioanl team in our best year. The deez against a team who didn;t even make the four. Imagine out 2010/2009 team playng against a team who fnnished out the 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wanted Petracca that whole year spent the whole time watching his highlights.

But guess what it doesn't matter. It's in the past now, honestly carrying on about it endlessly is just self-mutilation. It's history and it's done. Trout is gone. It's a new era.
This x 1000.

Build a bridge and get the f over it!

Also we come against a Geelong team that was a generatioanl team in our best year. The deez against a team who didn;t even make the four. Imagine out 2010/2009 team playng against a team who fnnished out the 4.
Teams 1 & 2 in 2009 and teams 1 & 3 in 2010 played in the GFs.

If you don't win the premiership then you end the season disappointed. There are 17 other clubs that are disappointed with how their year ended right now, we aren't the only ones. As others have mentioned, the gap between the top and bottom teams is probably the smallest its ever been so it gives us hope that if all things go to plan, you're in with a shot.

I reckon Jack Steele needs to really urge this team to win a premiership, not just improve and be competitive. Max Gawn has stated that his life this year has pretty much revolved around getting the ultimate success. He admits players need to have their away time etc but when it's time to show up and play they are 100% committed to that cause.
I feel our players are all trying to keep a good work/life balance with it leaning more heavily towards the life side.
We need players who demand a premiership, who live and breathe for a flag like Gawn.
We can do it but the next step is the hardest.

I wanted Petracca that whole year spent the whole time watching his highlights.

But guess what it doesn't matter. It's in the past now, honestly carrying on about it endlessly is just self-mutilation. It's history and it's done. Trout is gone. It's a new era.
FEGkqQc.gif

A mate who had a business in Moorabin used to say that Ross Lyon worked until after 10pm every night before heading home and was over just about every role inside the club. Same with GT he found it hard to delegate responsibility and tried to cover every role himself. I remember SOS saying after watching Ross Lyon he realised that he didn't have a senior coach in him and suggested similar.

We got used to letting the head coach run the show like 10 staff members and tried to continue on with that through the era of massive football department spending. One thing I think Finnis struggles with is quick decision making.

The amount of time it took to remove poor operators inside the club is a bit of an indictment but I think Ratts has helped in that department. He's bringing in a true systemised set up off field. It might be a bit of a dated model but you'd rather get a 15 year old lap top than a clip board and a pen.
The main issue with moving on underperforming staff is the ability to replace them with better staff.
I know someone who worked on the last round of major recruitment at the club and finances meant that superior candidates were overlooked. One case was less than 5K a year. But you need to have the dough.
This is where Bassat is going to turn us around.
He's already cleared a quarter of our debt through negotiation.
The finances will be sorted. The facilities are sorted. The staffing is being sorted. The list is being sorted.
We'll have another crack at it soonish.

Yes we can say at the time the call was wrong. However, we will never know how good or bad Paddy coudl've been. Anytime he started to show something he would get injured or concussed. So yea obviously it was the wrong call in hinesite.

no hindsight about it. It was plain stupidity

as many of us pointed out on the day Mccartin was drafted it was a terrible pick that will set the club back years.

and guess what ??

I reckon it’s probably more interesting if you post an actual opinion rather than just having cheap cracks at others. 🤷🏼‍♂️

You weren’t wrong anyway. Both Weightman and Pickett were really ordinary last night.

The main issue with moving on underperforming staff is the ability to replace them with better staff.
I know someone who worked on the last round of major recruitment at the club and finances meant that superior candidates were overlooked. One case was less than 5K a year. But you need to have the dough.
This is where Bassat is going to turn us around.
He's already cleared a quarter of our debt through negotiation.
The finances will be sorted. The facilities are sorted. The staffing is being sorted. The list is being sorted.
We'll have another crack at it soonish.

They should have sacked everyone else and sorted the head recruiter as soon as we started to have doubts. You can survive without some others when you're down but that role is the make or break one. I think clubs keep the purse strings pulled closed when spending is the only way out.

They should have sacked everyone else and sorted the head recruiter as soon as we started to have doubts. You can survive without some others when you're down but that role is the make or break one. I think clubs keep the purse strings pulled closed when spending is the only way out.
We've skimped on recruiting since the J Beveridge days. I remember him telling me that less than 1 per cent of turnover was allocated to scouting.
The most important function at any club.

Back