Who will be premiers?

• Melbourne

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, he was a slow maturer.

Here was me thinking he was well past it, what with asking for what was on the scoreboard.
1633074110879.png
"I've not got my glasses, look for me, what's it say?"

Only evidenced by him not knowing what side he was on and just praying at times
1633074280071.png

And the "I've lost my glasses" walk as "why is everything huge and blurry, maybe if I blink more..."
1633074386540.png

Here was me thinking he was well past it, what with asking for what was on the scoreboard.
View attachment 1250755
"I've not got my glasses, look for me, what's it say?"

Only evidenced by him not knowing what side he was on and just praying at times
View attachment 1250757

And the "I've lost my glasses" walk as "why is everything huge and blurry, maybe if I blink more..."
View attachment 1250758

Billy was a loose unit, saw him smoking cigarettes straight after playing VFL.

I'm talking about Gawn. No idea about our Max hopefully he's as disciplined as Gawn. I get the feeling he is.
Max did smoke though. Pizzas were part of his diet too.

Max did smoke though. Pizzas were part of his diet too.
If he smoked at a party occasionally when he was 18 that's a bit different to Billy after a game.

Max is friends with my sister and by very early on he was incredibly disciplined.

If he smoked at a party occasionally when he was 18 that's a bit different to Billy after a game.

Max is friends with my sister and by very early on he was incredibly disciplined.
I don't think he was disciplined at all lol. I've known Max since highschool, his group of friends used to hang out with mine. McKinnon and Bentleigh are next door to each other basically.

He's admitted he wasn't professional

There’s been more Bailey Smith news in Perth the past week then there has been about the actual premiership itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max is loose as. We see him fairly regularly at loch at his mums cafe and he has some great stories and doesn’t mind having a drink at the brewery either. Fantastic bloke.

Rumours suggest he was pretty loose post GF.

Rumours suggest he was pretty loose post GF.
One of the nicest guys you would ever meet. Have a look at the he is wearing when jimmy gives his jumper for his debut game. McKinnon secondary college windcheater or back in my Macca high. The loyalist guy you could ever meet. Pity the club didn’t take notice of my letter about him as a 16 year old. Lucky they took no notice of the other 2.

I can understand some fans urging people not to dwell on history and instead look to the future, particularly when it's painful to do so. But the way I see it is today marks the longest void in the calendar until another footy game, so why not reflect on where we've come from and where we're going?

Our top-end drafting errors of 2013 and 2014 really manifested yesterday. Billings can be forgiven because he was very highly rated in that draft and looked like he was going to be a star (Paul Roos said Dees would have picked Billings at pick 2 if they didn't trade it to GWS), while Bont was a bolter. Was it development that let him down, or did he simply lack the competitive mindset that a star athlete has?

But with Petracca's Norm Smith medal, 2014 will sadly go down as the worst drafting decision in AFL history, perhaps with Richmond picking Richard Tambling over Buddy Franklin. Picking a tall forward who actually wasn't that tall, wasn't quick or agile, wasn't good below his knees, with diabetes and only a history of u/18s football dominating small, undeveloped backmen was a recipe for disaster. It is a farce if Petracca's character influenced Trout's decision, as when I see him interviewed I see a man confident in his abilities and driven to win a premiership, while heaping praise on his team and understanding he is just a cog in the machine (i.e. the EXACT character you want in a team). While some may say this is a hindsight analysis and we needed a replacement for Riewoldt, I specifically remember myself and the vast majority of others having everything crossed that we would hear Petracca's name called out that night in 2014. Alas, it was not to be.

I think McCartin is a quality person and after watching his interview with Dylan Buckley I have a lot of respect for him, but the longer Petracca's career develops, the worse it looks.

Some may say I and others over-analyse these decisions and ignore other issues with the club, including off-field, which may be true. However, the last few years have really demonstrated the absolute necessity to have a core group of star players to win a flag.
Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, May, Lever.
Martin, Rance, Cotchin, Riewoldt.
Kennedy, Shuey, Yeo, Mcgovern (even if I believe Pies should have won this one.)

We have one at the moment in Jack Steele. King also has a clear upward trajectory, as does Marshall (although he has stagnated slightly) and potentially Sinclair if he continues his rise. We desperately need Gresham, Clark and Coffield to become at that level, because a flag will never be attainable if they don't.
Look unfortunately for us we will never know how good or bad Paddy actually could’ve been. there are so many factors but the main fact is that even if he’s had his career without concussions the pick could still have been very wrong. The issue is there is no fair right of reply in defence of Paddy. So here I go with my best possible effort.

No 1 at the time of drafting there was no indication that his diabetes elwpuld affect his play. Should we have known better perhaps but at that stage guys like Jamie Cripps and Sam Reid and athletes in other sports had shown it wasn’t an issue.

2. key forwards take time. Again we we’ll never know how good Paddy could’ve been. I dissagree with lots of people when I say that there were games where definitely showed ability. I distinctly remember a game against Melbourne where he had 8 contested marks, another against I think either Freo/Collingwood or WC where he kicked 2 goals 4. Another against Richmond where he kicked 2 in a quarter before breaking his collie bone against Alex Rance.
3. Now look I’m not saying Paddy would’ve been anything special I am just pointing this out to highlight that yes he wasn’t done fat slow spud he actually did have some moments and could’ve become something.
Perhaps in a different world he became something like a Tex or a josh Kennedy who knows. Even then the pick may still have been wrong but I just think a lot gets missed.

Look unfortunately for us we will never know how good or bad Paddy actually could’ve been. there are so many factors but the main fact is that even if he’s had his career without concussions the pick could still have been very wrong. The issue is there is no fair right of reply in defence of Paddy. So here I go with my best possible effort.

No 1 at the time of drafting there was no indication that his diabetes elwpuld affect his play. Should we have known better perhaps but at that stage guys like Jamie Cripps and Sam Reid and athletes in other sports had shown it wasn’t an issue.

2. key forwards take time. Again we we’ll never know how good Paddy could’ve been. I dissagree with lots of people when I say that there were games where definitely showed ability. I distinctly remember a game against Melbourne where he had 8 contested marks, another against I think either Freo/Collingwood or WC where he kicked 2 goals 4. Another against Richmond where he kicked 2 in a quarter before breaking his collie bone against Alex Rance.
3. Now look I’m not saying Paddy would’ve been anything special I am just pointing this out to highlight that yes he wasn’t done fat slow spud he actually did have some moments and could’ve become something.
Perhaps in a different world he became something like a Tex or a josh Kennedy who knows. Even then the pick may still have been wrong but I just think a lot gets missed.
In hindsight which by the way is crap he was a 30 something pick imo. Everyone nearly had him second so everyone was wrong.

In hindsight which by the way is crap he was a 30 something pick imo. Everyone nearly had him second so everyone was wrong.

2 picks after Winmar, even Nick posted that we should have taken Max over him. If we'd taken Collingwood's second rounder for Luke Ball we might have been able to have both.

Back