AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2021 - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do not have a pack marking forward. That is what we need. Hawkins plays man on man and Cameron is more of a helf forward flanker.
Neither do the Dees? Great teams can make do with average key forwards much like we did 07-11.

Pack marking forwards are flukey to be honest and a really good defence will shut them down every time in the modern game.

Naughton is the best pack mark in the comp but still prone to going missing. Sav looks awesome once every 5 games when he clunks 4-5 contested marks but it’s really hard to do in the modern game.

Right now we have 2 of the 3 best key forwards in comp (McKay being the other). They aren’t the reason we failed to go the journey.

By making it a twilight game in WA the AFL lost all chance of the US audience watching it by chance.. I slept thru it blissfully.

230 am start here when its normally 930 pm on a MCG Granny.

Demons too good and all those priority picks paid off for them.

And at least we got whalloped only by 20 points more than the GF loser did.

Demons just too good at the right time of the year for too long. Credit to them.

GO Catters
Hahaha US audience. So what like a total of 5 people maybe had to stay up through the night?

Hope you are ok today 5 people

Lol and to think we kicked 9(?) unanswered goals against this mob to get out to a 44pt lead in round 23, only to lose that game after the siren. From that moment on, Melbourne just destroyed everything in their path.

We saw in the PF just how far off we are from the best, and last night the Dees flexed their muscle again to show how far ahead of the comp they are. Our shot was last year, there’s absolutely no chance we can improve to compete with the benchmark the Dees have set, they’ll only get better, as will the Dogs & many other teams.

Gees this demons side looks exactly like us in 2007.

attacking football is still what wins you flags. Nothing has changed.

Except we didn't, and they don't.
Both styles of football were based around the defensive side of the game, ours was a freakishly good backline that rebounded, theirs is pressure around the contest.
Sure from there they move it quickly and spread, but you're blind if you think they just play fast attacking football, because they don't.
We do neither right now, we don't have that pressure around the contest and we don't spread when we win it.

Geez Isaac Smith picked the wrong club

I’ve got no doubt the round 23 comeback win built up a level of confidence in the Dees to do what they’ve done this finals series, that half of footy really setup the flag.
Isn't it funny to think the impact that one silly little move by Guthrie and Brad Close did for the outcome of football. A 50m penalty and easy goal by their captain.
But in all likelihood the Dees would still probably have got through to the GF and won anyway.

Except we didn't, and they don't.
Both styles of football were based around the defensive side of the game, ours was a freakishly good backline that rebounded, theirs is pressure around the contest.
Sure from there they move it quickly and spread, but you're blind if you think they just play fast attacking football, because they don't.
We do neither right now, we don't have that pressure around the contest and we don't spread when we win it.
s**t sometimes i have to argue the earth is not flat on here.

Our defense excelled at attacking rebound. That makes us an attacking team. Watching us move it out of defence was like poetry in motion i used to say. Many are saying the same thing on the main board about melbourne last night.

our side was known for fast handball to move it on quickly And moving it quickly up the guts. We were also a team that could pile on 5 goals in 7 minutes and break games through fast breaks from the centre bounce. Um thats all attacking football. Its the very definition of it

melbourne also moves it on quickly and great at drving it foward quickly from centre clearances. Thats all attacking football.

do you want to debate if vaccines work now? Maybe you can argue the grass is not green?

sh*t sometimes i have to argue the earth is not flat on here.

Our defense excelled at attacking rebound. That makes us an attacking team. Watching us move it out of defence was like poetry in motion i used to say. Many are saying the same thing on the main board about melbourne last night.

our side was known for fast handball to move it on quickly And moving it quickly up the guts. We were also a team that could pile on 5 goals in 7 minutes and break games through fast breaks from the centre bounce. Um thats all attacking football. Its the very definition of it

melbourne also moves it on quickly and great at drving it foward quickly from centre clearances. Thats all attacking football.

do you want to debate if vaccines work now? Maybe you can argue the grass is not green?

It would seem like you have to argue a lot, mostly because you are often wrong.
Like you are now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outstanding win by Melb - and i like it when outstanding teams when they win the premiership - because they are true worthy winners - and they did win 12 in a row which only top teams do

That 2nd half of the 3rd qtr till the end of the game - is as good as football i have ever seen - how they get it out of the centre - the teamwork combination - and then the long bomb goal - that is exhilarating stuff to watch- and you could watch that over and over again

Plenty here were bagging Joel - some dills even suggesting he should hang up the boots - well what happened to the Dogs midfield in the 2ndhalf - and their supposedly gun midfielders = they got obliterated - just like 17 other midfields would - because that Gawn/Petracca/Oliver ( predominantly ) is as good as it gets

Its just a pity the planets didnt align and Melb/Rich missed each other and didnt play off in a GF - because both of them at their peak it would be an outstanding game . I was super confident Melb were going to win by alot - i was even going to post that they could win by 100 - thats how good they are - however the Tigers were a gun side - and in a total different league to that Dogs side yesterday

Dogs supporters learnt a lesson yesterday ( just like the Cats a couple of times in the 90s ) if you qualify for a GF - and have got just an ok side - and you come up against a juggernaut - you will get completely smashed

Plenty here were bagging Joel - some dills even suggesting he should hang up the boots - well what happened to the Dogs midfield in the 2ndhalf - and their supposedly gun midfielders = they got obliterated - just like 17 other midfields would - because that Gawn/Petracca/Oliver ( predominantly ) is as good as it gets
I still stand by that stance, last night Melbourne were excellent but people aren't just saying that it's Joel's turn on the back of a single game.

They could be, and not doubting the quality of their list which is far superior to Richmond’s list of 17-20. But there have been plenty of occasions where something similar has been said about other teams and it doesn’t eventuate - Collingwood of 2010 was going to win another three flags, the young Bulldogs of 2016 would be unstoppable for the next decade etc. Hawthorn did a half rebuild of its 2008 flag team before they started their three peat five years later.

Gawn and May will both be 30+ at the start of next season, they had a dream run with injury all season particularly in comparison with the other top 4 teams including us.

Dees will be deserved favourites going into next season but I’m not handing them the next two flags now…
Yes of course not coronating them yet but if they have a run like cats 07 09 11 then good on them for setting up a dynasty.
Pies 10 had top quality opponents for those years (Cats, Hawks, Saints) and 16 Dogs were a fluke hot team in a weak season for dominating teams.
My opinion is that Dees look in a class above the opposition with higher gears to go to. Perhaps only port and dogs have the young stars to challenge them in the coming years. Tigers and Cats only getting older and less at their "peak" next season.

Yes of course not coronating them yet but if they have a run like cats 07 09 11 then good on them for setting up a dynasty.
. Perhaps only port and dogs have the young stars to challenge them in the coming years. Tigers and Cats only getting older and less at their "peak" next season.

I dont buy into your 1st part - there has been far too much hype about both Port and Dogs - and they are both suspect - their performances over this season back that up - they are a million miles off the Demons

Tigers are the interesting ones - they have got 3 really nice draft picks - plus Martin/Balta/Broad to come back in - Prestia has no luck with injury - he is a class player - and Bolton - his 2nd half was terrible - but he is a very good player . I wouldnt be surprised if the Tigers ended up 2nd or 3rd

But Melb still miles better than the rest

Who is left to go now?? Saints, they are the last drought stricken team standing #Alone
Fremantle - 27 years of AFL with nothing to show for it at this stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back