AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2021 - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
Incredible game to witness live, Doggies brave but the Dees were unstoppable in the last 1/4 and a bit.
Dees just move it with speed and precision into a well structured F50.
Talk of a dynasty is warranted but they can’t rest on their laurels as everyone will go to school on them and will improve.

Interesting coaching move from Bevo - played Bailey Smith as a defensive HF on Salem - didn’t work and you rob your team of a running gun - imagine if Scott did that😛

Could have been a masterstroke- one quarter is an eon in coaching though.
Melbourne were bought back to the pack with losses through the season.
Called the best side all year with hindsight- they just got their unbeatable shtick together in an amazing few weeks.

What a great GF.
We would have been belted by both teams.

We don't have anyone like Bont or Petracca.
Petracca went to beast mode. Bont tried, but he was on his own.
We did in the past.
Danger was close
Selwood was up there.
GAJ was that good and maybe more.
But now is now, and we have to start again.
I recall David Schwartz commentating on maybe SEN after we won our 07 flag, and how envious he was that Geelong had finally got their act together, and looked like having a dynasty. I recall feeling for him, many Demons and Saints and Doggies supporters back then because the feeling of winning that long awaited flag is indescribable.
Now it is our turn to be envious- Demons truly have their act together, and you get the feeling they'll be every bit as good as we were , Tigers, etc.
Of course if they start to become obnoxiously good, I or we may not be so magnanimous, but I am really rapt for him and all those Demons supporters who have suffered longer than we had.

Could have been a masterstroke- one quarter is an eon in coaching though.
Melbourne were bought back to the pack with losses through the season.
Called the best side all year with hindsight- they just got their unbeatable shtick together in an amazing few weeks.
It was a pretty even season, and any of Dogs, us, Port, Lions, Demons , Swans all had decent claims at times.
But as you said, their staying power, fitness, confidence from these wins will stand them in good stead.

Melbourne would have slaughtered us.
Their midfield is MUCH better than ours.
We have no hope with our game plan and old team.
They are much more powerfull
Would have? They did only 2 weeks ago.
Demons would have slaughtered every team.
Would have loved to have seen what had happened if Lions actually beat the Doggies though- I thought they were robbed a bit in that game.
End result is the fitting correct result. Demons and Dogs occupied 1 and 2 for the most time this season.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
What a great GF.
We would have been belted by both teams.

We don't have anyone like Bont or Petracca.
Petracca went to beast mode. Bont tried, but he was on his own.

No - you are right and wrong

Actually a bit of a god send - how the cards fell from the last round of the year to the GF - - no one remember PF beltings - but GF beltings are forged in history - in stone - never forgotten

Melb - outstanding team - would have absolutely flogged us - no question about it - like the PF - could have gone higher who knows - Geel couldnt played much worse tho - and everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong on the night

However dont put the boots into the Cats - and give me this utter rubbish that the Dogs would have flogged us - and for that matter they wouldnt have flogged Bris eiter

The Dogs are so over hyped by some posters - all i read this week - was the Dogs this the dogs thats blah blah blah

Correct me im wrong - but in about 40 minutes of football - Melb scored 101 pts - to a miserable 7 - they are facts

So dont give me this tripe that they would have flogged Geel

No - you are right and wrong

Actually a bit of a god send - how the cards fell from the last round of the year to the GF - - no one remember PF beltings - but GF beltings are forged in history - in stone - never forgotten

Melb - outstanding team - would have absolutely flogged us - no question about it - like the PF - could have gone higher who knows - Geel couldnt played much worse tho - and everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong on the night

However dont put the boots into the Cats - and give me this utter rubbish that the Dogs would have flogged us - and for that matter they wouldnt have flogged Bris eiter

The Dogs are so over hyped by some posters - all i read this week - was the Dogs this the dogs thats blah blah blah

Correct me im wrong - but in about 40 minutes of football - Melb scored 101 pts - to a miserable 7 - they are facts

So dont give me this tripe that they would have flogged Geel
The evidence suggests that we are clearly not up to being competitive for the duration of a 25-26 week season. We fell away badly late this year, and continued to try and win games with one quarter of brilliance. Simply not enough.
The Doggies were pretty well rested for this GF, yet looked exhausted while Melbourne hammered on.
I would hate to think what they would have done to any other team yesterday.
And the way Doggies bounced back to take the lead, although largely Bont-induced, not many, if any, teams are equipped to rally again and take that lead off them.
This hypothetical was never meant to happen, but evidence suggests we would not have been able to handle what the Dogs dished up either

101 pts to 7 - says otherwise
As said, this hypothetical is going nowhere, but what we do know is that Melbourne has got its act well and truly together. Very balanced list, the best MF group, the best defence, the best 2 rucks, great small medium and KF's

May 8, 2006
Melborne
AFL Club
Geelong
So glad for Demons fans.

The main thing I take away from this game - no matter how well your opponents are playing, if you have followers comprising 3 experienced, fit, focused and motivated elite A grade strong contested beasts with great disposal skills you can completely change and dominate a game. Sure, Melbourne has a very good defence (as we do with Stewart playing) and attack (as we do with Cameron and Hawk) but they were very wobbly in Q2 and half Q3. But when the Melbourne followers clicked into gear - bang. The rest of Melb runners and forwards went with that momentum. Challenge for Melbourne is to keep those three fit and motivated and more success will come. But that is a risk - just need to look at Weagles 2006 to see how that reliance can come unstuck.

So for us, simple - either Danger, Sel and Guthrie and Stanley magically regain best form and fitness next year or we somehow happen upon 3 top 5 ND picks in a great talent in the next few years!

Last edited:

Commando

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man Utd, AC Milan, Wolfsburg,
Fun fact.. we’ve now lost to the last 3 eventual premiers

as for Melbourne a great team no doubt but they hit the business end with a completely healthy list, except for Tomlinson (did he even play a game)

Lady Luck still plays a big part in a premiership campaign

By making it a twilight game in WA the AFL lost all chance of the US audience watching it by chance.. I slept thru it blissfully.

230 am start here when its normally 930 pm on a MCG Granny.

That's when the DVR functions become handy. 'Twas 0530 here in the Southeast US, I got up a bit early but was able to watch the Dees' shellacking, from start to finish, courtesy of the recording Hulu thankfully provided in return for my monthly moolah.

But something was different in this GF vs. the rest of the 2021 season: the sound was muted most of the time outside of actual game play. Sometimes the closed caption said "Copyrighted music suppressed." Even the Australian national anthem was muted, WTF?

Hahaha US audience. So what like a total of 5 people maybe had to stay up through the night?

Hope you are ok today 5 people

I resemble that remark! :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
That's when the DVR functions become handy. 'Twas 0530 here in the Southeast US, I got up a bit early but was able to watch the Dees' shellacking, from start to finish, courtesy of the recording Hulu thankfully provided in return for my monthly moolah.

But something was different in this GF vs. the rest of the 2021 season: the sound was muted most of the time outside of actual game play. Sometimes the closed caption said "Copyrighted music suppressed." Even the Australian national anthem was muted, WTF?
Was Basil Zempilas muted?

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
We did in the past.
Danger was close
Selwood was up there.
GAJ was that good and maybe more.
But now is now, and we have to start again.
I recall David Schwartz commentating on maybe SEN after we won our 07 flag, and how envious he was that Geelong had finally got their act together, and looked like having a dynasty. I recall feeling for him, many Demons and Saints and Doggies supporters back then because the feeling of winning that long awaited flag is indescribable.
Now it is our turn to be envious- Demons truly have their act together, and you get the feeling they'll be every bit as good as we were , Tigers, etc.
Of course if they start to become obnoxiously good, I or we may not be so magnanimous, but I am really rapt for him and all those Demons supporters who have suffered longer than we had.
Vdubs, I remember you commenting pretty early this season that the dees this year were us in 2007 and copping some criticism. It was a great call. A team that sort of discovers all of a sudden that they have the measure of the comp. It was also one of those years for them I felt where almost nothing could go wrong. Take for e.g. the decision to play May in the GF for instance. I got a sense that he was going to declare himself fit to play no matter what. Now I think most of us can appreciate how risky that kind of attitude can be. And in the end, he reinjured the hammy in the 2nd quarter. It's these little things that make me think, looking at them as the enemy we must find a way to beat next year - that sure they may be physically on top of their game, but if they're challenged next year, will they find a way? Or will they find themselves with passengers? We all know what happened after 07.

Play it Sam

Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
So glad for Demons fans.

The main thing I take away from this game - no matter how well your opponents are playing, if you have followers comprising 3 experienced, fit, focused and motivated elite A grade strong contested beasts with great disposal skills you can completely change and dominate a game. Sure, Melbourne has a very good defence (as we do with Stewart playing) and attack (as we do with Cameron and Hawk) but they were very wobbly in Q2 and half Q3. But when the Melbourne followers clicked into gear - bang. The rest of Melb runners and forwards went with that momentum. Challenge for Melbourne is to keep those three fit and motivated and more success will come. But that is a risk - just need to look at Weagles 2006 to see how that reliance can come unstuck.

So for us, simple - either Danger, Sel and Guthrie and Stanley magically regain best form and fitness next year or we somehow happen upon 3 top 5 ND picks in a great talent in the next few years!

And would have to think their very good and frankly, idolised, coach and panel didn't panic.

Although I'm not sure to the point of providing movies and comedians pre game as he did through the season.

Shades of Malcolm Blight anyone?

Play it Sam

Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
Vdubs, I remember you commenting pretty early this season that the dees this year were us in 2007 and copping some criticism. It was a great call. A team that sort of discovers all of a sudden that they have the measure of the comp. It was also one of those years for them I felt where almost nothing could go wrong. Take for e.g. the decision to play May in the GF for instance. I got a sense that he was going to declare himself fit to play no matter what. Now I think most of us can appreciate how risky that kind of attitude can be. And in the end, he reinjured the hammy in the 2nd quarter. It's these little things that make me think, looking at them as the enemy we must find a way to beat next year - that sure they may be physically on top of their game, but if they're challenged next year, will they find a way? Or will they find themselves with passengers? We all know what happened after 07.

57 year drought is one helluva motivator, as is going back to back.
But someone, somewhere, will figure them out.
Well at least (I hope) to a point of not incurring such a one sided scoreline in a GF.
So it's all good and can only raise the standard with them the hunted.

www.watchafl.com.au

go Catters

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Does anyone remember those weird posts before our prelim asking who was going to kick Melbourne's goals?

I remember many more numerous posts about how they would collapse in finals because they were Melbourne. Echoes of the idiotic logic that was used against Geelong on a weekly basis in 2007. It never seems to sink in that the current Melbourne club - administration, coaching, and of course players - weren't involved or were not even born for a good chunk of their premiership drought. How that is meant to affect the current team is always a mystery. Particularly when we see pretty frequently - Brisbane 2001, Port 2004, Geelong 2007, Hawthorn 2008, Collingwood 2010, Dogs 2016, Richmond 2017, and now Melbourne this year - that when you're good enough previous Grand final experience just isn't required.

gaz love x

All Australian
Oct 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
I remember many more numerous posts about how they would collapse in finals because they were Melbourne. Echoes of the idiotic logic that was used against Geelong on a weekly basis in 2007. It never seems to sink in that the current Melbourne club - administration, coaching, and of course players - weren't involved or were not even born for a good chunk of their premiership drought. How that is meant to affect the current team is always a mystery. Particularly when we see pretty frequently - Brisbane 2001, Port 2004, Geelong 2007, Hawthorn 2008, Collingwood 2010, Dogs 2016, Richmond 2017, and now Melbourne this year - that when you're good enough previous Grand final experience just isn't required.
To me that was a more reasonable question. They were the best team all season, question remained whether they could be the best team in finals. Acting like that team couldn't score goals was very, very strange though.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
FB_IMG_1632712998361.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad