AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2021 - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to the Melbourne Football Club on winning it's first AFL Premiership.

Fifty seven years ago Melbourne won it's last senior Australian Rules Premiership and that was a VFL Premiership.

I do not expect to see any of the above written in any of the Melbourne papers but you would hope the SA media mention the fact.

If the SANFL delusions of the 80’s had come to fruition and the VFL went busto, resulting in a national comp headquartered out of SA beginning in 1990, would you be content to reset 120 years of Port Adelaide history to zero?

I just don’t see it.

History is written by the victors.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wow how lucky is Ben Brown

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
a28af214feed82197d66267c9f376461.jpg
so I wake up this morning feeling sorry for myself cause Ports didn’t win this years final, then I see this picture & realise I’m living in a very weird twilight zone world.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
These 2 both have such smackable faces!

View attachment 1246302
Missed multi in AFL GF. Lucky last nights soccer multi won 😍😍

Wowee. I missed an $17,000 SGM collect last year by one leg (McCluggage missed getting 20 touches by 3 against GWS, despite racking up 7 or 8 in Q1).

Always feels like magic when one of these actually gets up.

Congrats!

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Wow how lucky is Ben Brown
Read an article on him a few weeks back of how getting dropped back to vfl he took a long hard look in the mirror, pulled his socks up and his finger out.

Struck me as a pretty decent bloke. All credit to him. His exaggerated run-up was turning into a distraction so he decided to jog back to his position

before taking time to settle. Personally I was happy for him.

Aug 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Petrecca has been chubby flat track plodder for more of his career than a gun midfielder thus far. Be a critic of Rozee but let's not rewrite others as superstar players and hard working athletes from day dot while we're at it.
Yep, and Petracca and Oliver are 25 and 24. Not only did they have to build the fitness they had to change their mindset. Rozee and Butters are 21 (Butters only turned 21 a couple of weeks ago).

What the GF showed, was that if you have a one ruckman, but even more so you have two, who are agile and skilful, and they can hit the ball to midfielders at centre bounces, who can cleanly win the ball, no fumbles, no bumbles, and can then dish it off to other mid fielders or even the ruckman surging forward, and they are all decent kicks, you have a massive advantage under the 6-6-6 rule.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
If the SANFL delusions of the 80’s had come to fruition and the VFL went busto, resulting in a national comp headquartered out of SA beginning in 1990, would you be content to reset 120 years of Port Adelaide history to zero?

I just don’t see it.

History is written by the victors.

It's not rewriting or resetting.

It's dividing between state leagues and national league.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The Christians had a good day at Perth Stadium.

Salem - 21 of his 22 kicks were effective
Petracca - 15 of his 21 kicks were effective.

Daniels also had 15 effective kicks but he had 26 kicks and at half time had 6 of the 10 kickins from Melbourne's points.

Salem is the best kick in the AFL IMO. Wish we had someone as reliable as him across halback. Burton is a good kick but struggles with 10m-25m 45 degree kicks. He *s them up too often, and his left foot around the corner kicks can produce some terrible clangers. Houston's kicking dropped away big time second half of this year.

Last edited:
It's not rewriting or resetting.

It's dividing between state leagues and national league.

It’s still an extension of an existing league.

And do you draw the line at:

• 1981 (last year before South Melbourne relocated to Sydney),
• 1986 (last year before Brisbane and West Coast entered),
• 1989 (last year before the ‘AFL’ rebrand where nothing actually changed teamswise),
• 1990 (last year before Adelaide entered)
• 1994 (last year before Freo entered)

And so on. It’s such a subjective gripe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Christians had a good day at Perth Stadium.

Salem - 21 of his 22 kicks were effective
Petracca - 15 of his 21 kicks were effective.

Daniels also had 15 effective kicks but he had 26 kicks and at half time had 6 of the 10 kickins from Melbourne's points.

Salem is the best kick in the AFL IMO. Wish we had someone as reliable as him across halback. Burton is a good kick but struggles with 10m-25m 45 degree kicks. hHe fu**s them up too often, and his left foot around the corner kicks can produce some terrible clangers. Houston's kicking dropped away big time second half of this year.
A bit of vigour wouldn’t go astray with Burton either.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Difference being Melbourne's players and coaches took the criticism on board and learnt from it, not sooked it up about copping warranted heat at the time.

Good on them, they were the best team all year and deserved the flag.
I thought we were talking about comparing Rozee to Petracca, not our club in general.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It’s still an extension of an existing league.

And do you draw the line at:

• 1981 (last year before South Melbourne relocated to Sydney),
• 1986 (last year before Brisbane and West Coast entered),
• 1989 (last year before the ‘AFL’ rebrand where nothing actually changed teamswise),
• 1990 (last year before Adelaide entered)
• 1994 (last year before Freo entered)

And so on. It’s such a subjective gripe.

I believe most would consider the renaming the clear option. However I would go with 86 as it would be the first season without zoning for VFL clubs, a key part of everything that came before, plus the expansions.

Even though nothing changed in practise, it's still important symbolically.

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With the exception of Gawn I disagree.
none of those guys are ‘significantly’ better and Wines and Oliver are pretty even.
almost everyone would take Oliver and viney and Petracca over wines drew and boak all day and every day, it’s not even close.

I believe most would consider the renaming the clear option. However I would go with 86 as it would be the first season without zoning for VFL clubs, a key part of everything that came before, plus the expansions.

Even though nothing changed in practise, it's still important symbolically.

Not true re zones for VFL clubs post 1986. They still had access to some metro zones and u/19 players up until end of 1992.

Glen Archer was a metro zone player who debuted in 1992. You wont see him in any draft pick history. Same with Wayne Carey who debuted in 1989 and John Longmire who debuted in 1988. Corey Mckernan who debuted in 1993. Mick Martyn debuted in 1988. None of these North champs were drafted and keys to their 1996 and 1999 flags (Longmire did an ACL in 1995 PF and missed 96 flag). All 5 players didn't go thru the draft system, you wont see they were taken at pick X by North but all debuted after 1986 draft.

Kouta didn't go thru the draft system. He was a metro zone player who debuted in 1992.

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nothing twilight zone about it. Kane has always placed the worth of individual personalities higher than the fortunes of the football club itself.

His loyalty goes to Choco, KT, Ken Hinkley and anyone else that helped him in his professional career first and Port winning a premiership at all costs somewhere far off in the distance.

It’s like Daniher & Gary Lyon wearing Port colours after a Port Grandfinal win. That’s real twilight zone stuff.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was bound to happen for Melbourne eventually. You can't stay bottom forever in a league designed to ensure you become a premiership threat. They f’ed up their previous era with disastrous drafting.

Pick 4 - Cale Morton. Peaked early, never developed, bust
Pick 14 - Jack Grimes. Injury bust
Pick 21 - Addam Maric. Talent Bust
Pick 1 - Jack Watts. Never developed, Bust
Pick 17 - Sam Blease. Talent Bust
Pick 19 - James Strauss. Talent Bust
Pick 1 - Tom Scully. Got vomited on by Max Gawn & left. Bust
Pick 2 - Jack Trengove. Injury bust
Pick 11 - Jordan Gysberts. Talent Bust
Pick 18 - Luke Tapscott. Talent Bust
Pick 12 - Lucas Cook. Massive Talent Bust
Pick 12 - Traded for Mitch Clark. Massive Bust
Pick 4 - Jimmy Toumpas - Injury bust
Pick 20 - Traded for Chris Dawes. Bust.

Thats an unprecedented amount of sh*t drafting and sh*t development with early picks.

The best thing they did wasn't get Roos in. It was making Jason Taylor their recruiting officer and making Josh Mahoney their football manager.

Pick 9 - Christian Salem. Hit
Pick 2 - Christian Petracca. Hit
Pick 3 - Angus Brayshaw. Hit
Pick 4 - Clayton Oliver. Took a risk and has been a huge hit
Pick 3 - Luke Jackson. Again, bit of a risk, huge hit
Pick 12 - Koz Pickett. Risk, huge hit

Along with a lot of late hits like Hunt, Harmes, Neal-Bullen, Fritsch, Petty, Rivers. Clever trading for guys like Langdon, they got Brown cheap, Lever & May a huge game changer down back compared to making a Prelim with Oscar McDonald and Sam Frost.

How do we compete? Become sh*t. Get very early draft picks.

How did Richmond get a dynasty? I don't think they bottomed out, were they just ahead of the times with their gameplan?

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Salem is the best kick in the AFL IMO. Wish we had someone as reliable as him across halback. Burton is a good kick but struggles with 10m-25m 45 degree kicks. He fu**s them up too often, and his left foot around the corner kicks can produce some terrible clangers. Houston's kicking dropped away big time second half of this year.
Salem is in no way near the best kick in the AFL... He overhits and kicks the ball out on the full at least 1-2 times a game the exact same kicks that we roast Bonner for.

He did one last night that was a simple 45 into the middle of the ground that sailed over I think Vineys head. There would have been 20 pages of Bonner bashing if he did that.

He is a very good kick and usually a trusty kick but I wouldn't put him in my top 5 in the AFL.

How did Richmond get a dynasty? I don't think they bottomed out, were they just ahead of the times with their gameplan?

Between 2002-12 they finished 12th or lower in 9 years, but also traded in former high draft picks too

The dynasty was built off:
Pick 2 - Cotchin, HOF
Pick 3 - Martin, HOF
Pick 7 - Caddy, Traded in
Pick 9 - Prestia, Traded in
Pick 9 - Vlaustin
Pick 11 - Lynch, Traded in
Pick 12 - Ellis
Pick 13 - Riewoldt, HOF

As well as nailing other picks like Bolton, Broad, Grimes etc

Salem is in no way near the best kick in the AFL... He overhits and kicks the ball out on the full at least 1-2 times a game the exact same kicks that we roast Bonner for.

He did one last night that was a simple 45 into the middle of the ground that sailed over I think Vineys head. There would have been 20 pages of Bonner bashing if he did that.

He is a very good kick and usually a trusty kick but I wouldn't put him in my top 5 in the AFL.
I have watched him play about 6 games this year and in every one he has only had 1 or 2 poor kicks in every game. I can't say I have seen anyone do better in 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back