Game Day Grand Final 2022 - Cats v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

What a boring game. I turned it off part way through the 3rd quarter. Knew Sydney wasn't that good all year.

Well played Geelong, hate em but well done.
Geelong were never going to lose.
Collingwood still wouldn't have matched them regardless of what people are saying.
It was theirs once Melbourne got knocked out

Gee you got me my mate should have not borrowed some boxes from where he gets his dough
Making your own sourdough for pizzas is super easy and worth it.
perhaps giving Logue and acres what they want costs us Serong and Jackson
Could be. The point is that if we keep losing best 22 players at the rate we do we perpetuate the rebuild.

As much as it set us back, every single one of us would take a midfield of Serong, Brayshaw, Johnson, Erasmus and Drizzy on a wing over the three amigos every time. We're through the worst of that period and we could have all of those guys for the next ten years.

adios amigos. 👋
Premature throwing accolades at players who are yet to establish themselves, but I do like that mix once they are mature in 3 or 4 years time.

Premature throwing accolades at players who are yet to establish themselves, but I do like that mix once they are mature in 3 or 4 years time.
No accolades thrown.

we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

Also, Callum Mills put in one of the worst captain performances I've ever seen (yes I remember how bad Tex was)

I see it more like they are the only club in recent history who only missed finals in 1 year, since their last flag 11 years ago. Who else has done that? I think it's quite remarkable. They didn't bottom out at all which is a credit to their coaching and S&C/fitness/rehap coaches and staff. They've overperformed at times in the last 11 years IMO, but brought in Cameron and Smith recently, and got the most out of their 30+ year players, and bang! Now was their time for a flag.

I prefer the Freo strategy of a rebuild however as it will give us more chance to have a flag dynasty like Brisbane, 2007-2011 Geelong, Hawks or Richmond. No way I can see Geelong winning another for a while, they knew they had to get it done today with their list being oldest in the AFL.
Problem is Perth/WA is just not a destination club.
In the time Richmond have won their three flags, they snagged Prestia and Lynch. Hawthorn went after Lake, Gibson, McEvoy, Gunston.
Look at Geelong today. Smith, Dangerfield, Cameron, Stanley. Massive ins. Cameron changed everything. Imagine if Fremantle somehow grab him. Hawkins went off this season and Cameron was right there with him. Ridiculous
Fremantle have drafted great however grabbing the Free Agents/mature trades is the weakness.

Didn’t feel convincing on the day either, we were under siege
I dont think anyone said we had a convincing win over Geelong.

We had an inspirational, heroic win against the odds against the most experienced team in the AFL, away at the Cattery.
The Cats are the best team but they are beatable and we proved it.

I dont think anyone said we had a convincing win over Geelong.

We had an inspirational, heroic win against the odds against the most experienced team in the AFL, away at the Cattery.
The Cats are the best team but they are beatable and we proved it.
It was their season. No Richmond nor Hawthorn who have been their biggest Achilles of the last few years. Their finals series was rather tame. Easiest 4th placed team of recent memory. Yeah Collingwood pushed them only to 6 points however could've been anyone else. Then Brisbane surprised Melbourne and Geelong weren't going to miss the opportunity. Brisbane in the prelims is piss. Then a young Sydney in the GF

It was meant to be a Melbourne Geelong GF, let's be fair. Sydney pulled off a great MCG QF win. It flipped the premiership race on its head.
Geelong were head and shoulders above even Melbourne towards the end of the year.

3rd quarter against Geelong, Freddy kicks a goal with 10:00 to go was when the LETS ******* GOOOO girl was born.

Acres was massive in this game. He (in that form) will be missed. Tucker decent. Meek was huge. Mundy was Mundy, Logue held Cameron to donuts and without Lobb we we’re screwed.

No Chapman or Young or Darcy and Walters hadn’t come into form yet but his work in the second turned the game. No Amiss but Treacy was decent, used his body well.

There are going to be some holes next year.

Hopefully Erasmus, Johnson and especially Fyfe all have massive preseasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a boring game. I turned it off part way through the 3rd quarter. Knew Sydney wasn't that good all year.

Well played Geelong, hate em but well done.
Yep, no fight from the Swans at all.
I was reading an opinion from a Hawks poster, who was glad Hawks
had the home ground advantage in 2013.
Acknowledged they may not of won in Perth.
Must finish top 4 for the chance and two home finals.
Problem is Perth/WA is just not a destination club.
In the time Richmond have won their three flags, they snagged Prestia and Lynch. Hawthorn went after Lake, Gibson, McEvoy, Gunston.
Look at Geelong today. Smith, Dangerfield, Cameron, Stanley. Massive ins. Cameron changed everything. Imagine if Fremantle somehow grab him. Hawkins went off this season and Cameron was right there with him. Ridiculous
Fremantle have drafted great however grabbing the Free Agents/mature trades is the weakness.
This is what we could do too now the Nucleus of the team is the right age
demographic.
That doesn’t change with the addition of Jackson.
In 2015 that was our shot, we are in a position to have players that will still be
on the field for a decade.
Cats got inventive due to less top ten picks and continued success.
We are in a great position to strike, unlike the Ross years where he gambled on
a few roughies, and the trade, talent management was ordinary.

Perfect result for the anchors!
Dads army have finally got a flag and will start to deteriorate fast without the hunger.
Swans copped a beating, history shows you don’t bounce back straight away after that sort of loss.
With Richmond flogging a dead horse, lions fragilities and dees going to be a 1 hit wonder.
⚓🏆2023🏆⚓

Dads army have finally got a flag and will start to deteriorate fast without the hunger.
Swans copped a beating, history shows you don’t bounce back straight away after that sort of loss.
With Richmond flogging a dead horse, lions fragilities and dees going to be a 1 hit wonder.
⚓🏆2023🏆⚓
Pies, Bulldogs? But yes we are in a position to strike👍
Only way for a WA team to make a GF is top 4 though.
Not sure about 2023 but 2024 and we
are away.

Reckon just goes to show how far off we actually are. As said b4, we can’t rely on free agents. We need draft picks, and they only go so far. If we had our own academy like the swans, then we would have a chance. So much WA talent goes every year and the Toast and us can’t touch it

Reckon just goes to show how far off we actually are. As said b4, we can’t rely on free agents. We need draft picks, and they only go so far. If we had our own academy like the swans, then we would have a chance. So much WA talent goes every year and the Toast and us can’t touch it
Swans academy players were about the worst on the ground yesterday

⚓🏆2023🏆⚓
Yeah, personally I think we need to improve to win a flag, but you could be right. It could be totally up to everyone else.

Geelong are not that dissimilar, except they get the players who have left their region back regularly, and they also target country lads. Can we ingrain the same desire to come home in our own geographic zone?

They have also got a couple of players via Cat B, which we have failed to benefit from. I don't simply accept that it is luck that got Blicavs and O'Connor on the list.

Geelong routinely pluck obscure players with later picks who are at worst great role players, but often significantly more. And they stand out as central pieces in their best 22. Stewart, Close, Stengle and others. Our recruiting has improved but our list management has issues in my opinion.

As a club and at Board level are we providing our players with AFL acceptable third party payments at a similar level to the likes of Carlton, WC and the likes? Right now we are well placed to grow this, pluck some great sponsors and enhance our players benefits.

Of course Geelong continue to get a massive leg up from F/S and the premiers had Hawkins and Bews in the side. I like the romance of F/S but I hope the AFL gets rid of any discount.

And I hate the locked in contract with the MCG.

Geelong are not that dissimilar, except they get the players who have left their region back regularly, and they also target country lads. Can we ingrain the same desire to come home in our own geographic zone?

They have also got a couple of players via Cat B, which we have failed to benefit from. I don't simply accept that it is luck that got Blicavs and O'Connor on the list.

Geelong routinely pluck obscure players with later picks who are at worst great role players, but often significantly more. And they stand out as central pieces in their best 22. Stewart, Close, Stengle and others. Our recruiting has improved but our list management has issues in my opinion.

As a club and at Board level are we providing our players with AFL acceptable third party payments at a similar level to the likes of Carlton, WC and the likes? Right now we are well placed to grow this, pluck some great sponsors and enhance our players benefits.

Of course Geelong continue to get a massive leg up from F/S and the premiers had Hawkins and Bews in the side. I like the romance of F/S but I hope the AFL gets rid of any discount.

And I hate the locked in contract with the MCG.
I’m with you Gav, anyone else a bit pissed off but not surprised about the failure to recognise the awesomeness of the GF last year at Optus and also Perth and Brisbane doing great jobs in COVID years? They were banging on about the “spiritual home” and “back where it belong” trollop but I thought the spectacle at Optus last year was WAY better than the MCG which is becoming old and tired. Like I said, I am not surprised as the commentators are VFL fanbois and fangals

Apart from Jackson who is out there currently that is gettable and improves us?
Georgiades?

Joel Amartey? Same position as Jackson perhaps, and is still contracted.
woukd we take a punt on getting Menegola back on the cheap? Would fill the wing for a few years?

theres no Tom Lynch or Jeremy Cameron around for us to just pluck off the shelf.

if next year we were to have a crack at Harry McKay imagine how much Carlton would try and get from us…they’d try for more than Dangerfield and Cameron combined
I think the loss of Mundy is going to hurt more than we think…we need Erasmus and Johnson to really come on.

watching Geelongs mids slaughter everyone except Warner was interesting. Selwood looks like he’s retiring but then they have Parfitt coming in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back