AFL Grand Final Grand Final, 2022: Geelong v Sydney

Who will be premiers for 2022?

• Cats

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Swans

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
I'm saying it is sustainable lol. If winning close games happens a few times you can put it down to luck but the amount of times they either won the close ones or came back from nowhere shows to me they are a well drilled side and bought that intensity consistently.
Oh, ha ha.
Stand by my point though.

Yeah Collingwood jumped from 17th to 4th, but in the 3 years prior to that they finished 8th, 4th and 3rd. They also made finals in 2012 and 2013

We're coming from a fair way further back than that
Yet the point of the discussion is that we can emulate what they do because they're a good pressure side and pressure is largely effort based. Our gameplan is dated and doesn't stand up in big games, theirs does. We should be looking to take from the best sides.

And lets not make out like McRae wasn't instrumental in their turnaround, he won coach of the year for a reason.

Geelong success came from recruiting the right type of players. Getting Danger started it and his talent along with club legends Selwood (Brownlow) and Hawkins (father-son)(coleman). That talent then attracts Cameron (local Dartmoor and Coleman) wants a flag Smith (triple premiership player) wants to play in a team with other champions similar to his demographic, same with Rowan and to an extent Higgins and Tuohey.

Who did we have Josh Bruce Seb Ross Jack Steven and a bloke called Joe! If this was at a pub you'd be saying no wonder they can't pull any chick's.

Teams need a bit of swagger and alphas who can just go the next level. Our recruiting got us name players like Hannas Hill and Crouch but for money not success and Steele, Jones, Butler Bruce Higgins and even Membrey for opportunity to play football not to be around a team wanting to go to the next level and win a flag. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Ryder when he played brought the same belief to the team that you could see in Geelong...the hell yeah we can do this as he showed his elite skills which the team fed off. It almost got us to the Big Dance. But belief in one player gets you only so far for so long.

So Geelong did it with recruiting top up stars...we have to do it hard way by recruiting top level draft talent and build from there.

Sydney strength is its recruiting and system which holds up during the season but the long kick down the line and reset and win the clearance game. This has now evolved to a new level based upon spread and look back into the corridor when possible and get it into the forwards asap. Easy when you have Hawkins Danger and Cameron to kick to mi d you.

We have King which is a great start....our time will come provided we keep adopting the Sydney model of going to the draft and clever recruiting and see if we can create our own swagger like we had in 2004-2011. Buddy alone ultimately got the Swans nothing.

Go Saints.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spider Eater

Importer/Exporter
Feb 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
First crack at the limited edition Herald Sun Cats poster people... get in before they're all gone.
cat2022poster.jpg

Last edited:
Geelong success came from recruiting the right type of players. Getting Danger started it and his talent along with club legends Selwood (Brownlow) and Hawkins (father-son)(coleman). That talent then attracts Cameron (local Dartmoor and Coleman) wants a flag Smith (triple premiership player) wants to play in a team with other champions similar to his demographic, same with Rowan and to an extent Higgins and Tuohey.

Who did we have Josh Bruce Seb Ross Jack Steven and a bloke called Joe! If this was at a pub you'd be saying no wonder they can't pull any chick's.

Teams need a bit of swagger and alphas who can just go the next level. Our recruiting got us name players like Hannas Hill and Crouch but for money not success and Steele, Jones, Butler Bruce Higgins and even Membrey for opportunity to play football not to be around a team wanting to go to the next level and win a flag. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Ryder when he played brought the same belief to the team that you could see in Geelong...the hell yeah we can do this as he showed his elite skills which the team fed off. It almost got us to the Big Dance. But belief in one player gets you only so far for so long.

So Geelong did it with recruiting top up stars...we have to do it hard way by recruiting top level draft talent and build from there.

Sydney strength is its recruiting and system which holds up during the season but the long kick down the line and reset and win the clearance game. This has now evolved to a new level based upon spread and look back into the corridor when possible and get it into the forwards asap. Easy when you have Hawkins Danger and Cameron to kick to mi d you.

We have King which is a great start....our time will come provided we keep adopting the Sydney model of going to the draft and clever recruiting and see if we can create our own swagger like we had in 2004-2011. Buddy alone ultimately got the Swans nothing.

Go Saints.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it was just really solid steady management personally. Geelong didn't force retire guys to bring in youth just because they were young. They kept their best older players for experience and leadership. They are good at making calls on their kids and identify talent from different pathways. They really pioneered bringing in state league players from Podsiadly, Kelly etc to Stewart who came out of country footy. They just do things in a very stable logical way.

Being close to contention they can grab a guy like Smith for a couple of seasons or Higgins etc. Being always in contention made makes players want in on their success as well so get topped up with good players wanting to move.

Watching Dal Santo in the Seb Ross interview you wonder how they don't see the positives in him guiding the next generation. He's a fantastic communicator while still being warm and with his coaching diary and things like that as an obvious asset. Thank god we didn't lose him post footy.

Losing that connection through generations really sets clubs back. Melbourne, Carlton and Essendon all did it too. Just cut too hard and lost the guys who help impart culture and knowledge to the kids. Brisbane imported Hodge who was massive in building something similar but those guys rarely come up. Perhaps we need to bring in Selwood as a coach if he retires.

I’m hearing the big wigs from Sydney are concerned about the lack of competitiveness shown by the Swans on Saturday and have approached the AFL to review their Academy boundaries. They have suggested using the NSW borders from 1787.

4BS7i1Z.jpg

Apparently they have their eyes on the full Sandringham Dragons squad plus a generational talent from Christchurch named Isaaki Heenatare.

Jesuswasacarpenter

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
He was a new coach with a totally different style , George you should know better , extraordinary things don't happen at st kilda unfortunately.
I think its more that Bucks had lost the group more than they didn't have the talent , do you really think Ratts can change how he coaches ? Maybe he can if he lets his off siders have more of a say as it seems to me the same old every game and he has no clue when we start getting pumped

Not to mention the piss easy draw the pies had from being 17th the year before
The team was sitting 4th at the bye with 130 + % they had smashed Richmond beat Geelong and Freo in perth they must have been doing something right.

The team was sitting 4th at the bye with 130 + % they had smashed Richmond beat Geelong and Freo in perth they must have been doing something right.
So you didn't want to answer the question and now you're going to troal me, that's fine I feel honoured, yes the Cats win was a good one but the others we got them at their very worst with a lot of players missing, did you really think we were going to stay around the top 4 ,

Jesuswasacarpenter

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
So you didn't want to answer the question and now you're going to troal me, that's fine I feel honoured, yes the Cats win was a good one but the others we got them at their very worst with a lot of players missing, did you really think we were going to stay around the top 4 ,
*Troll.
If King and Higgins kick 1/2 the goals they missed from 20 metres during the year they play finals.
The Saints were the first team to hold Demons goaless for 1 2/2 quarters this year that hadn't happened for about 20 games.
You sound like a negative Nancy buddy.
And if answering your question involves giving up a player's name...then I won't be.
However I asked you 3 questions and your silence regarding those is deafening.
Unfortunately a fit and in form P Ryder will be a huge loss next season I reckon

Last edited:

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I agree many of our wins were good fortune that we caught teams at their worst which you would never really say is a thing but retrospectively we caught teams while they were still figuring out stuff or injury plagued.

Back