Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I realise that. I played in them mostly. And they were far harder to run decent distances in than moulded. I would take moulded any day of the week (unless that day had been pissing down).
I think most of the slips occurred on the painted logos - I reckon the number of players that used screw ins on Saturday was zero

So fascinating listening to Fly Macrae on AFL 360 tonight. The comment that really got in my head was the game the Pies against the Saints at Adelaide oval when the Pies won but Fly commented to the players that we should have lost. Mainly because we should have wasted time in certain circumstances but we played on quickly or done things quickly where we should have taken 40 seconds off the clock at certain times but should have been a free kick to the saints in a ruck dual with 0.1 seconds left. Fly's comment was we should not be playing this last 40 seconds , we should have taken time off the clock. This is something i hope we try and nail down as this happened with us in the first quarter. Need to rewatch our game again as have not got myself to watch again but we seemed to play on way to quickly late in that first quarter in our back pocket. Such a great listen he was.

Yep great insight from Fly on AFL360. These comments also from his press conference really resonated with me, especially his comment about the last 4 minutes.

“You lose a prelim final by a point and you have to get better. Competition has already improved. We had to bring more depth into our list”.

“Games come down to moments…little things win big games - that’s been our story”.

I know last year everyone thought it was a bit of a fluke (winning all the close games) … we’re pretty good at these clutch moments,” McRae smiled.

We’ve got such belief in that last four minutes that no one’s scoring – not us or the opposition”.

It is 2023 3KZ and the standards are significantly higher now. All players are fit now and the impacts of a big off season won’t be as immediate as the 80’s when footy was played at the standard of a modern QAFL game.

The Broadbeach Cats would go through undefeated if you transferred them to the 80’s.
Don’t fool yourself. Players were fit in the 1980’s. The 1986 pre-season that Parkin put Fitzroy through was a gruelling one and it paid off. Watch more games from that era and then you can talk from a position of knowledge.

Last edited:

Good for you. I think Lester offers more in terms of rebound and intercept marking. Lester was second, behind Harris Andrews, for intercept marking this season. A valuable contribution that Gardiner will not be able to match in 2024.
I believe Lester’s ball use is better and he’s a smarter player as well.

But as a one on one defender, able to play on talls and smalls, actually defending, Gardiner is streets ahead.

I believe Lester’s ball use is better and he’s a smarter player as well.

But as a one on one defender, able to play on talls and smalls, actually defending, Gardiner is streets ahead.
Intercept marking? Lester ranked second this year behind Andrews. Any value in that?

It is 2023 3KZ and the standards are significantly higher now. All players are fit now and the impacts of a big off season won’t be as immediate as the 80’s when footy was played at the standard of a modern QAFL game.

The Broadbeach Cats would go through undefeated if you transferred them to the 80’s.
Fitness is relative I guess.

There’s certainly players at many clubs who aren’t AFL fit.

Don’t fool yourself. Players were fit in the 1980’s. The 1986 pre-season that Parkin put Fitzroy through was a gruelling one and it paid off. Watch more games from that era and then you can talk from a position of knowledge.

80’s football was good for the time but we’ve gone so far beyond it 3KZ. 40 years of sports science doesn’t care about your feelings.

Intercept marking? Lester ranked second this year behind Andrews. Any value in that?
There is.

A lot of time Lester was the free third man to come across in front of Andrews and his opponent to take the intercept mark.

We rotated Andrews and Lester in that role depending on match up, and where the ball was coming in from.

It was always either Andrews or Lester as the spare tall defender to intercept.

Our second defender, either Payne, or Gardiner when Payne went out injured had a lock down role. It wasn’t their role to come across as a third man.

Go back earlier - try a full day scaffolding, or running bins, and then train. Fit as f***.

Go back earlier - try a full day scaffolding, or running bins, and then train. Fit as f***.
Absolutely . Many of the guys from the '80's and '90's were super fit.

I remember walking along the beach track near Black Rock in the early '90's in the middle of January and it felt like a freight train had whooshed pass me , going at serious speed. It was Robert Harvey.

The good teams of that era would absolutely smash anyone that wasn't AFL level these days. That's without the modern training.

It's a totally different game now a tactical ,territory and fitness battle. Not the same physical punishment tolerance required but certainly the same hardness. But they're not any better. It wouldn't take the good teams of any era long to adjust. Sure you'd have to get rid of some who just wouldn't reach the standard.

Ben Hogan would still win majors , Bradman would still be the best batsman and Bunton would still win Brownlows.

That one really hurts. 20 years and still waiting and wondering when the next shot is.
Imagine being a Sydney fan and copping 2014, 2016 and 2022. I don’t know how they do it.

If I was a Swans fan, 2014 and 2022 would be easier to deal with. 2016 on the other hand.....

No, he didn't. Ranked equal fourth in intercept marking with Starcevich behind Harris, Jack and Keidean when looking at total marks or fourth (could call it third considering the low number of games Joyce played) in average intercept marks behind Harris, Jack and Joyce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite the loss enjoyed the game and weekend in Melbourne. We’re not too far off and will start pretty strong next year. As much as I enjoyed the experience of going to the game I don’t think I’ll go back to a GF in the future. I like sitting in comfort - upper tier, centre wing, undercover. Paying $500 a ticket to sit in the pocket at ground level with fans jumping up blocking my view doesn’t seem worth it. I’m just glad I wasn’t at the sunny end of the ground. Next year I’ll watch from a pub somewhere local.

Sorry my mistake, second behind Harris Andrews for “Total Intercepts,” because he is also fantastic at reading the ball on the deck.
IMG_0038.png

No, he didn't. Ranked equal fourth in intercept marking with Starcevich behind Harris, Jack and Keidean when looking at total marks or fourth (could call it third considering the low number of games Joyce played) in average intercept marks behind Harris, Jack and Joyce.
IMG_0039.png

Ok - so Lester was second for “Intercepts” behind Harris Andrews and second behind Harris again for total “Marks”. A great year as a defender! All the more so as Ryan played the “Quarterback” role, coordinating exits and running into space to provide an avenue.

As for tackling, our defence was ranked,
Coleman 2.7 per game season average,
Gardiner 2.5
Lester 2.0
Wilmot 1.65
Starcevich 1.54
McKenna 1.46
Andrews 1.19
Joyce 0.40

Lester is best 22 and will be in our starting side Rd.1 2024.

Last edited:
What has definitely improved since the 1980s is injury diagnosis and recovery.

Pretty sure this is what made Bernie Q retire into 1987. Parkin spoke to us about this one day and he regrated not tailoring this a bit more for the great man!

Pretty sure this is what made Bernie Q retire into 1987. Parkin spoke to us about this one day and he regrated not tailoring this a bit more for the great man!
True. Quinlan said the same thing. Parkin flogged the Lions in the 1986 Pre-season and they bounced out of the blocks once the season had started. They were super fit.

Despite the loss enjoyed the game and weekend in Melbourne. We’re not too far off and will start pretty strong next year. As much as I enjoyed the experience of going to the game I don’t think I’ll go back to a GF in the future. I like sitting in comfort - upper tier, centre wing, undercover. Paying $500 a ticket to sit in the pocket at ground level with fans jumping up blocking my view doesn’t seem worth it. I’m just glad I wasn’t at the sunny end of the ground. Next year I’ll watch from a pub somewhere local.
Funny how things pan out.
I'm use to being lower tier at the Gabba, close to the action.
At the G we had seats top tier ,just under the replay screen city end. A little dissapointed when I first found out. Too far back. But we weren't as high as some seats , because of the screen, so about 10 or so rows forward than the section next to us.
Couldn't of been much better .
And compared to the last time I was at the G , when we were lower level under the middle tier, this time was incredible in regards to seeing the whole field .
I think upper tier at the G is better than at the Gabba, you feel you are still so close to the oval.
I did feel for those stuck staring into the sun all day.

I'm the same , that was my time at a grand final, great experience , but next time yep at home with a few friends I think or at the pub if we are in it.

On another note copped some s**t from the neighbours daughter , she was rubbing it in big time, bit of carry on, over the top.
I said what are you doing , why are you a dirty pies supporter , her reply, My boyfriend goes for Collingwood, Collingwood are winners , Brisbane suck there sh@t.
Was all in good fun , so she thought.
But between you guys and me , I can't stand people jumping on the winner and making out there a true supporter .
Poor form imo.
Not bitter though,
Much.

Before the game I was talking to a family of four - they had three tickets. They got one child, who had noise cancelling headphones on, to have a meltdown at the gate and run in under the turnstile, then they showed the three tickets and entered.

The min pay casual on the gate let it go.

He felt it was ok to sneak an extra in as they had been scammed $600 for a set of four tickets, and paid $500 for the three in a second purchase.

Wonder how many many people actually get in for free.

Brisbane whacked us twice in season and went close on GF

You would have beaten any other team in GF

Classy team and coach

Had many interactions with Bris fans at the G and post-match - all gracious

And you broke Carlton hearts

Hope to play you in next year’s GF - big chance you will be in it

I come in piece. The comments by Ipswich Pie certainly don't reflect most of our supporters. Charlie's hit was slightly late and downfield was correctly given. Nothing else to see here. Charlie is a star and I love watching him play(except against us)

Your supporters have been extremely gracious in defeat and your team was terrific on Saturday. It was great to get once back on you but I understand the pain of losing the close ones. The last thing you need is pickles like that talking Sh!t.

Good luck in 2024. Your team play the game the way it should be played.

Back