Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I come in piece. The comments by Ipswich Pie certainly don't reflect most of our supporters. Charlie's hit was slightly late and downfield was correctly given. Nothing else to see here. Charlie is a star and I love watching him play(except against us)

Your supporters have been extremely gracious in defeat and your team was terrific on Saturday. It was great to get once back on you but I understand the pain of losing the close ones. The last thing you need is pickles like that talking Sh!t.

Good luck in 2024. Your team play the game the way it should be played.
Thanks mate, all good , I can honestly say all the legit passionite pie supporters I know personally are great .
Great experience to watch the game live and soak up the Melb. atmosphere for a few days.

Cheers.

Okay final edition of my ripped- off segment that nobody cares about except me.

THE GOOD

WE HUNG IN THERE - didn't always play well but even when pies had momentum and incredible crowd noise we kept coming back. we had a long period of being on top in the last quarter after looking out to it early.

WE WERE SKILLED UNDER PRESSURE - some of those goals were just phenomenal. Bailey. Linc. Clugga's pass to Daniher at the end and evasiveness before. Cameron's 45m left foot snap.

REPUTATIONS WERE ENHANCED - Clugga was excellent after a poor first quarter. Daniher apart from one bad miss was very good, competed hard, great presence of mind to bang that one in at the end. Coleman until he was gassed. Harris' last quarter was phenomenal. I thought Neale was really good late as well - our two skippers lifting to give us a chance to win.

LOSING A CLOSE ONE - so many examples of getting smacked in a granny and the damage it does. this will hurt but it keeps us confident that we are good enough, which i think is important for this group

THE BAD

OUTRUN - so much for 29 degrees helping us - i just think collingwood ran harder when it mattered. Chopping off options to swtich, and always being within a metre for players on a lead. We so often give a player that crucial 2-3m. Allowing it to happen when they played 2 rucks as well. A big part was...

THE WINGS - thoroughly outplayed here. It wasn't that either of their wings destroyed us but we got very little from ours while Sidebottom and J Daicos both played key roles for them. Fletcher better for the run, no pre-season. Berry... more to say later

SOME OF THE BIG MOMENTS - this has been a theme according to players. Some of the worst one - misses in the last quarter from Daniher / Hipwood / Coleman. We were well on top at this stage. The Berry 50m. The Cameron downfield (gave them breathing space when we were hemming them in). Berry taking too long to kick deep in to forward line and getting half caught. About 10 moments in that centre clearance after Cameron's last goal. Both sides had moments all day but so many critical moments we fluffed in the last quarter, it was too much too overcome

COMMENTARY ON HOW GOOD THE PIES ARE IN CLOSE GAMES INCLUDING GF Sure they shut down the game well against GWS. Very well. Against us when they tried to shut down with 4 minutes to go, we managed multiple entries, a goal to daniher, and then 2 more entries in the last 90 seconds, one of which should have been a free kick from a legging 55m out. We created good opportunities. The pies could not shut us down.

THE UGLY

SOME OF THE UMPIRING clugga got a very dodgy 50m which helped us stay in touch. Mistakes happen. But that advantage call was rubbish and totally against the earlier time we were not allowed to take advantage. And the too high frees to daicos were a daicos. blatant ducking and arm flicking which was supposed to be targeted. Mistakes happen from all but those were just blatant errors the umpires should not have made

RED TIME this is ugly not bad because it was such a similar situation to the Mebourne game - blindly kicking it long to collingwood ruckmen. The last few minutes of the first quarter was just so bad. We looked bereft of ideas. Nobody taking responsibility to short-pass and hang on to the ball.

OUR USE OF THE SUB pies were down a sub already. How could we not do something earlier given how hot it was? Okay Lyons is not a runner. But get him in the guts, he was fresh on such a hot day. We continue to be the most conservative and worst user of the sub in the league. Once the pies had gone tall i would have had Fort as sub. Could have made such a difference in the last quarter - give him some centre bounces, stretch the pies by popping oscar in the goal square.

INABILITY TO EVER CHANGE THINGS UP again such a bugbear. Berry was doing nothing at half time. So give him a tagging job on one of the wingers and at least get a draw there. Rayner couldn't get in the game - isolate him at full forward for 10 minutes. Bailey had been brilliant in the first 35 mins then gone quiet, so what could we do with him? McKenna very quiet could he get a go on the wing? Shift ah chee back who is quiet in the forward line / wing? We just don't throw around the magnets. We never try to wrongfoot the opposition.

WHERE TO FROM HERE

Get Ashcroft back - that will help.

Doedee - i think he could be perfect, good disposal and intercept mark. Payne and Andrews the true tall timber.

Get a good early fixture - given they are both coming off knees!

Get McQualter - or someone of that ilk. Not throwing the baby out with the bathwater but we need to get better in our match-day coaching. My maxim on assistant coaches is: if no opposition side would ever consider one of your assistants as a senior coach, you need a senior 2IC.

Maximise our assets - Rayner get fitter. Bailey figure out how to get him involved more. Coleman get fitter. If these 3 players are involved in any given play it's highly likely to result in a score. It just doesn't happen enough.

Get fitter as a side - we need to inject that relentless running in to our running players. Sharp could be a real weapon too. I think he showed good signs.

GLASS IS HALF FULL

Way better to have made it than another year of no GF.

Pies have a lot of 30+ veterans who were key to winning. They should not scare us too much.

Giants and blues could be dangerous - it's also hard for them now with a top 6 draw and having to start all over again

Dees still don't really have a forward line

Some sides will improve and top 2 won't be easy.

But our finals record over the past 2 years is now 4-2. Won one at the mcg and lost another there by 4 points. We have built belief. Need some luck, especially on the injury front which has been kind to us lately.

Biggest looming issue is no gabba. But a jammed full brighton homes arena might be pretty hard to win at for opposition too

I come in piece. The comments by Ipswich Pie certainly don't reflect most of our supporters. Charlie's hit was slightly late and downfield was correctly given. Nothing else to see here. Charlie is a star and I love watching him play(except against us)

Your supporters have been extremely gracious in defeat and your team was terrific on Saturday. It was great to get once back on you but I understand the pain of losing the close ones. The last thing you need is pickles like that talking Sh!t.

Good luck in 2024. Your team play the game the way it should be played.
Thanks for keeping it classy. Over my working life and playing football for many years I have met many Collingwood supporters who have become close friends and associates. All are great people and none of them abused me post game.

Okay final edition of my ripped- off segment that nobody cares about except me.

THE GOOD

WE HUNG IN THERE - didn't always play well but even when pies had momentum and incredible crowd noise we kept coming back. we had a long period of being on top in the last quarter after looking out to it early.

WE WERE SKILLED UNDER PRESSURE - some of those goals were just phenomenal. Bailey. Linc. Clugga's pass to Daniher at the end and evasiveness before. Cameron's 45m left foot snap.

REPUTATIONS WERE ENHANCED - Clugga was excellent after a poor first quarter. Daniher apart from one bad miss was very good, competed hard, great presence of mind to bang that one in at the end. Coleman until he was gassed. Harris' last quarter was phenomenal. I thought Neale was really good late as well - our two skippers lifting to give us a chance to win.

LOSING A CLOSE ONE - so many examples of getting smacked in a granny and the damage it does. this will hurt but it keeps us confident that we are good enough, which i think is important for this group

THE BAD

OUTRUN - so much for 29 degrees helping us - i just think collingwood ran harder when it mattered. Chopping off options to swtich, and always being within a metre for players on a lead. We so often give a player that crucial 2-3m. Allowing it to happen when they played 2 rucks as well. A big part was...

THE WINGS - thoroughly outplayed here. It wasn't that either of their wings destroyed us but we got very little from ours while Sidebottom and J Daicos both played key roles for them. Fletcher better for the run, no pre-season. Berry... more to say later

SOME OF THE BIG MOMENTS - this has been a theme according to players. Some of the worst one - misses in the last quarter from Daniher / Hipwood / Coleman. We were well on top at this stage. The Berry 50m. The Cameron downfield (gave them breathing space when we were hemming them in). Berry taking too long to kick deep in to forward line and getting half caught. About 10 moments in that centre clearance after Cameron's last goal. Both sides had moments all day but so many critical moments we fluffed in the last quarter, it was too much too overcome

COMMENTARY ON HOW GOOD THE PIES ARE IN CLOSE GAMES INCLUDING GF Sure they shut down the game well against GWS. Very well. Against us when they tried to shut down with 4 minutes to go, we managed multiple entries, a goal to daniher, and then 2 more entries in the last 90 seconds, one of which should have been a free kick from a legging 55m out. We created good opportunities. The pies could not shut us down.

THE UGLY

SOME OF THE UMPIRING clugga got a very dodgy 50m which helped us stay in touch. Mistakes happen. But that advantage call was rubbish and totally against the earlier time we were not allowed to take advantage. And the too high frees to daicos were a daicos. blatant ducking and arm flicking which was supposed to be targeted. Mistakes happen from all but those were just blatant errors the umpires should not have made

RED TIME this is ugly not bad because it was such a similar situation to the Mebourne game - blindly kicking it long to collingwood ruckmen. The last few minutes of the first quarter was just so bad. We looked bereft of ideas. Nobody taking responsibility to short-pass and hang on to the ball.

OUR USE OF THE SUB pies were down a sub already. How could we not do something earlier given how hot it was? Okay Lyons is not a runner. But get him in the guts, he was fresh on such a hot day. We continue to be the most conservative and worst user of the sub in the league. Once the pies had gone tall i would have had Fort as sub. Could have made such a difference in the last quarter - give him some centre bounces, stretch the pies by popping oscar in the goal square.

INABILITY TO EVER CHANGE THINGS UP again such a bugbear. Berry was doing nothing at half time. So give him a tagging job on one of the wingers and at least get a draw there. Rayner couldn't get in the game - isolate him at full forward for 10 minutes. Bailey had been brilliant in the first 35 mins then gone quiet, so what could we do with him? McKenna very quiet could he get a go on the wing? Shift ah chee back who is quiet in the forward line / wing? We just don't throw around the magnets. We never try to wrongfoot the opposition.

WHERE TO FROM HERE

Get Ashcroft back - that will help.

Doedee - i think he could be perfect, good disposal and intercept mark. Payne and Andrews the true tall timber.

Get a good early fixture - given they are both coming off knees!

Get McQualter - or someone of that ilk. Not throwing the baby out with the bathwater but we need to get better in our match-day coaching. My maxim on assistant coaches is: if no opposition side would ever consider one of your assistants as a senior coach, you need a senior 2IC.

Maximise our assets - Rayner get fitter. Bailey figure out how to get him involved more. Coleman get fitter. If these 3 players are involved in any given play it's highly likely to result in a score. It just doesn't happen enough.

Get fitter as a side - we need to inject that relentless running in to our running players. Sharp could be a real weapon too. I think he showed good signs.

GLASS IS HALF FULL

Way better to have made it than another year of no GF.

Pies have a lot of 30+ veterans who were key to winning. They should not scare us too much.

Giants and blues could be dangerous - it's also hard for them now with a top 6 draw and having to start all over again

Dees still don't really have a forward line

Some sides will improve and top 2 won't be easy.

But our finals record over the past 2 years is now 4-2. Won one at the mcg and lost another there by 4 points. We have built belief. Need some luck, especially on the injury front which has been kind to us lately.

Biggest looming issue is no gabba. But a jammed full brighton homes arena might be pretty hard to win at for opposition too
Excellent review.

Just on Pies fans, I did appreciate a couple of them at the ground giving the nod and saying good game to me on the way out of the ground. And I don't think I know any unlikeable Pies fans in real life either.

Almost makes it difficult to hate the club but somehow I'll find a way...

Despite the loss enjoyed the game and weekend in Melbourne. We’re not too far off and will start pretty strong next year. As much as I enjoyed the experience of going to the game I don’t think I’ll go back to a GF in the future. I like sitting in comfort - upper tier, centre wing, undercover. Paying $500 a ticket to sit in the pocket at ground level with fans jumping up blocking my view doesn’t seem worth it. I’m just glad I wasn’t at the sunny end of the ground. Next year I’ll watch from a pub somewhere local.
My thoughts and positioning are the same as yours with the exception we were in full sun in the pocket 16 rows back. Was a great experience but for those $'s next time (there will be a next time) if I was to get similar tickets they would be going on the open market. This was my 5th Lions GF. 3 up high and 2 down very low.

No, he didn't. Ranked equal fourth in intercept marking with Starcevich behind Harris, Jack and Keidean when looking at total marks or fourth (could call it third considering the low number of games Joyce played) in average intercept marks behind Harris, Jack and Joyce.

Yep. I was confused, because I misinterpreted "Intercepts" as "Intercept Marks" on one site.

The AFL Site has the following ranking for Season 2023 Intercept Marks:

Andrews 3.5 per game average
Payne 2.4
Joyce 2
Lester 1.9
Coleman 1.7
Starcevich 1.4
Wilmot 0.9
Gardiner 0.8
McKenna 0.7

Last edited:
Just on Pies fans, I did appreciate a couple of them at the ground giving the nod and saying good game to me on the way out of the ground. And I don't think I know any unlikeable Pies fans in real life either.

Yeh aside from the odd peanut which you are going to get in any supporter base, I agree they were quite gracious.

My 9yo son, who is Lions, was in the AFL members sitting with my old man and brother who are Collingwood. Their bay was basically all Collingwood and when I got around there from where I had been about 5 bays over in standing room, about 15 mins after the game, he was sitting slumped and crying in his seat surrounded by celebrating supporters.

As I waded through the seats with him to leave, and walking back through the concourse multiple Collingwood supporters came over and consoled him. Far cry from when I was a kid going to Bears games at Vic park and getting screamed at by absolute bottom feeders.

I have bolded the defenders, but in terms of marks, competition wide this season:

Harris Andrews is ranked 6th in the competition with an average of 7.8 marks per game
Ryan Lester
is ranked 29th with an average of 6.3 marks per game
Joe Daniher and Dayne Zorko are equal 47th with an average of 5.9 marks per game
Hipwood, Payne and Rich are equal 78th with an average of 5.4 marks per game
Coleman
and Gunston are equal 101st with an average of 5.2 marks per game
Dunkley and Joyce are equal 117th with an average of 5 marks per game
McCluggage is equal 159th with an average of 4.7 marks per game
Starcevich is ranked 182nd with an average of 4.5 marks per game
Neale is ranked 219th with an average of 4.2 marks per game
Wilmot is ranked equal 237th with an average of 4.1 marks per game
McKenna
is ranked equal 289th with an average of 3.7 marks per game
Gardiner
is ranked equal 401st with an average of 3 marks per game

Lester's sensational numbers, competition wide are a reflection of the strength of his marking game and his willingness to run and make himself available as an avenue when exiting our defensive 50. His strength in the air and sure hands have been a feature of the season and see him well placed to continue to hold down a key role in defense.

I have bolded the defenders, but in terms of marks, competition wide this season:

Harris Andrews is ranked 6th in the competition with an average of 7.8 marks per game
Ryan Lester
Joe Daniher and Dayne Zorko are equal 47th with an average of 5.9 marks per game
Coleman
McKenna
Gardiner

Lester's sensational numbers, competition wide are a reflection of the strength of his marking game and his willingness to run and make himself available as an avenue when exiting our defensive 50. His strength in the air and sure hands have been a feature of the season and see him well placed to continue to hold down a key role in defense.

A for effort 3KZ

Interesting theory about the final 666 warning resulting in a throw up favouring Cox.

I've always wondered if there was only ~10-15 seconds on the clock in a 1 kick game, whether you'd concede a 6-6-6 warning (provided you hadn't already) in case the umpire stuffs up the bounce and wastes you valuable seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting theory about the final 666 warning resulting in a throw up favouring Cox.
It's not so much about it favouring Cox; it's about the ball coming down in a predictable spot and hence be easier to set up for defensively and/or swamp the ball.

I'll stand by that the worst experiences I've ever had at games in Melbourne have been from North & Doggies fans.

Not sure how/why, maybe it's just been coincidences but never had any issues at games featuring bigger clubs.

Of course this is only my personal experience and the idiots i've encountered are not a reflection of an entire fanbase.

I'll stand by that the worst experiences I've ever had at games in Melbourne have been from North & Doggies fans.

Not sure how/why, maybe it's just been coincidences but never had any issues at games featuring bigger clubs.

Of course this is only my personal experience and the idiots i've encountered are not a reflection of an entire fanbase.

Tigers fans for me. I rag on umpires as much as the next person but the level of vitriol was genuinely shocking.

Ryan Lester
Coleman
McKenna
Gardiner

before payne injured his ankle against swans his form was outstanding even though his primary role is 1v1 on the best KPF. Lester was out marked by bobby hill in the GF

First post since returning from Melbourne as i wanted to watch the replay.
The Lions made it to the GF being one game more than any time since 2004.
GF are hard to get to, and harder to actually win one.
The boys and coaches would be devastated and be replaying a lot of what ifs over and over in their minds for some time.
100,024 is the biggest crowd the Brisbane Lions have played in front of ever. The biggest this season being 45,458 v Blues at Marvel
The 2002 Pies GF attendance of 91,817 being the previous record.
The Pies are used to these large crowds, not so much our boys, so that may have played a part.

This is no in-depth review of the GF.
I think the Pies played better than us on the day, but we were not at our best.
The GF is all about how the team and players play in that final day of the year.
Have they got something left or are they a bit gassed coming into the final game of the year.

The Pies appeared to handle the pressure a bit better than us and played right up to when each quarter siren sounded.

After watching the replay, it just looked like the Pies were meant to get that win.
Our rushed kicks out of defense appeared to fall into Pies hands about 60% of the time.
The Pies rushed kicks out of their defense fell into the Lions hands about 50% of the time.
No official stat on this just my observations. This is just a good/bad luck situation that did not fall our way.
This was one contributing factor to why the I50's were won by the Pies 57 to 43.

The Pies found a loose player regularly just outside and just inside their forward 50 far too easily.
The Lions on the other hand struggled to place kicks to our advantage in that same zone.
This resulted in the Pies taking 12 marks inside 50, quite a few uncontested, to the Lions lowly 5.
On top of that the Pies nailed quite a few crunch goals outside 50. A few after the siren sounded.

Quite a few other things appeared to slightly fall in the Pies favour. Thats just how things work out sometimes.

No player assessments as i don't think that is helpful after a close GF loss.
The Lions players tried their best to get the win, it was just not our destiny in 2023.
Now for that dreaded 6 months offseason.

I mean ignoring the fact that I still think McCluggage is better on the outside, you need more than 3 inside mids, that’s how rotations work…
WTF are you on about rotations was my point we have 5 or 6 who rotate through, you want him in middle more often so how to do it and also replace Rayner role if goes into the middle. Ashcroft back mid season who's a pure mid ,neale pure mid dunkley pure mid Clugg despite you ignoring the fact is now 75% mid and plays his best footy in middle Bailey pinch hits through the middle Rayner pinch hits , Dev has been through there aswell( maybe N/A next season). My point is Rayner needs to be more consistent with the role given to him. Until he can do that can't be trusted to take more of a pure mids minutes away.

before payne injured his ankle against swans his form was outstanding even though his primary role is 1v1 on the best KPF. Lester was out marked by bobby hill in the GF
So was Starcevich. In any given season players are going to be out marked. It doesn’t really mean much.

Your Lester bias is getting a bit tiresome.

Hill made Lester look silly at least twice.

That means a lot in a GF
To be fair though Luthor in what universe would anyone have Lester on Hill ?

Worst match up of all time.

Hill was the danger player as was flagged on here 3 or 4 times and we just didn't put enough work into it.

They waltzed it forward too easily which really helped Hill but we didn't seem to have a plan. Well maybe we did but I couldn't see what it was.

But have you seen how many marks Lester took this year?

Please back up your argument with a poorly cropped screenshot of the AFL phone app or it is invalid.

Back