Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, and counting Collingwood today...if you want an interesting comparison look at the the teams who have Marvel stadium as their home ground. Since 2000, when it opened, only one team has won a premiership, Western Bulldogs. Ostensibly, Marvel was Essendon's home ground in 2000 however in that season they played an equal amount of games (9) at the MCG. Essendon has not won a finals game since 2004. Since 2000 the success of MCG home teams to win premierships and form dynasties has been disproportionate to the limited success of Marvel teams.

Interesting analysis there

Charlie Cameron's goal to put us in front late popped on my Youtube shorts yesterday and I decided to watch it, some great play by Lyons, Berry and Charlie for that goal... just made me feel worse though, knowing we were 5 minutes of good footy away from winning a flag. First thing that crossed my mind after watching it was the horror show from the following centre bounce.

Who knows, that could end up being this group of players best chance to win it.

I will not be watching anymore vision of it, it will be consigned to the dustbin with 2004.

Charlie Cameron's goal to put us in front late popped on my Youtube shorts yesterday and I decided to watch it, some great play by Lyons, Berry and Charlie for that goal... just made me feel worse though, knowing we were 5 minutes of good footy away from winning a flag. First thing that crossed my mind after watching it was the horror show from the following centre bounce.

I will not be watching anymore vision of it, it will be consigned to the dustbin with 2004.
Now that the dust has settled I'm a bit flat on footy and had enough for the time being . Just a few little tweaks here and there and we would've done it.

The biggest task of our coaching group is to really get the guys up and motivated for 2024 . A normal H/A game just doesn't have much significance any more. Everyone needs a good break and a new theme developed for 2024. If the players are as flat as I am it's going to take time to recharge.

Now that the dust has settled I'm a bit flat on footy and had enough for the time being . Just a few little tweaks here and there and we would've done it.

The biggest task of our coaching group is to really get the guys up and motivated for 2024 . A normal H/A game just doesn't have much significance any more. Everyone needs a good break and a new theme developed for 2024. If the players are as flat as I am it's going to take time to recharge.
I’m the same; completely uninterested in the trade / draft period and to be honest I’m still very despondent at our chances moving forward. Being there, I just still can’t believe that after Charlie put us in front, like many times throughout the season and Fagan banging on about learnings for years that we didn’t win. Even personally, I’ve been flat as a tack, have not watched or read about anything related to the GF and will take another campaign or two before it dissipates.

I’m even bracing myself for us to drop out of the eight and you could hardly be surprised if the players were not mentally scarred from this wasted opportunity.

Was crook as a dog on GF day, watched it but was so sick went to bed immediately the siren blew, still can't bring myself to watch the replay.

Players need a break for sure but they are in no way flat & want season 2024 to start asap. There are so many good footballers in the past who never played in a Grand Final so they are very grateful to get the opportunity to participate in one & now their hunger to go one step further is huge. The club knows we are in a 3 year window and also know that winning Grand Finals dont happen by resting on past efforts. They will be ready 100% once they come back for pre-season and dont need any special motivation than this season to get into top gear asap.

I’m the same; completely uninterested in the trade / draft period and to be honest I’m still very despondent at our chances moving forward. Being there, I just still can’t believe that after Charlie put us in front, like many times throughout the season and Fagan banging on about learnings for years that we didn’t win. Even personally, I’ve been flat as a tack, have not watched or read about anything related to the GF and will take another campaign or two before it dissipates.

I’m even bracing myself for us to drop out of the eight and you could hardly be surprised if the players were not mentally scarred from this wasted opportunity.
Must be a sad way to start & finish the day thinking like that...first Granny for 19 years.....HUGE!!!:):rainbow::smilev1:

Players need a break for sure but they are in no way flat & want season 2024 to start asap. There are so many good footballers in the past who never played in a Grand Final so they are very grateful to get the opportunity to participate in one & now their hunger to go one step further is huge. The club knows we are in a 3 year window and also know that winning Grand Finals dont happen by resting on past efforts. They will be ready 100% once they come back for pre-season and dont need any special motivation than this season to get into top gear asap.
Hey Mighty Lions, are our boys coming back later this preseason, and can you share any information on how the preseason may differ from previous preseasons.

martinson McIvor , you proffered the perfect word for how I have been feeling FLAT.... am a lot better after this weekend, watched my grandson play basketball on Friday night and the granddaughter play soccer this morning, puts it all in perspective.

Not all that interested in the trade or draft either, Tom Doedee in is a great move but I think that will be it for trade, draft our first selection looks like being late 20's... if we by some miracle manage to trade our way up the draft board that may peak some interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Mighty Lions, are our boys coming back later this preseason, and can you share any information on how the preseason may differ from previous preseasons.
Not exactly what you were asking
But in regard to leave.
Each player gets a minimum of 6 weeks leave. The start time of that leave varies a bit as per the 2023 CBA.

However, we participated in the final series so can't return to training prior to the 1st Monday in December that being the 4th Dec 2023.

(i) AFL Players will receive three weeks of Leave over the Christmas and New Year period (Christmas Leave). The Christmas Leave will be as follows in each year of the Term:

(A) following the 2023 AFL Season, a 3 week (21 day) period to be determined by Clubs in consultation with their playing groups, to be taken from 15 December 2023 to 15 January 2024 (inclusive);

Must be a sad way to start & finish the day thinking like that...first Granny for 19 years.....HUGE!!!:):rainbow::smilev1:
Each their own but I’d rather not play in GF and lose like that or have gotten a 6+ goal whack. To think so many Magpies fans are watching and re-watching that game where our players shat the bed is in extremely disheartening.

Each their own but I’d rather not play in GF and lose like that or have gotten a 6+ goal whack. To think so many Magpies fans are watching and re-watching that game where our players shat the bed is in extremely disheartening.

Mate, you have lost me. If your level of emotional immaturity guides you like this, get help. If you have such a low opinion of our team, no comment..

Footy is footy and sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn't!

Just like the Grand Final ticket ballot.

I'm grateful to have experienced such a great trip down to Melbourne and GF and to share that experience with some good friends, result aside!

So you never want to see us in a GF because you might feel hurt?

I understand your pain…I went to the 2004 GF and it still hurts but I’d still always prefer to make a granny than miss it…different strokes

It has been a long time since I've been here. Since I came here as a tragic in early 2005, I've changed. I no longer hold aligience to any AFL Club as I've dedicated myself to serving community footy.

I just wanted to come here and say that I don't think the Lions were robbed. Was it a bad advantage call, hell, probably, looked bad to me. But it wasn't deliberate, not malicious, there was no bloody conspiracy like I've seen being circulated in social media.

It was a classic Grand Final. I love every minute of it. All the respect in the world to Fly and the team.

Less so to windbags like Eddie and 90% of their fanbase. hehehehe.

Back