bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Sorry i cant take a team flag seriously when they play all finals at their home ground and play 16 games a year on it.

Call me whatever you want.
I feel sorry for Geelong with no home finals at all. Even in the H&A season they get shafted, this last season was the first time they'd played Hawthorn at Simmonds staidum in some 16 years or so.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I feel sorry for Geelong with no home finals at all. Even in the H&A season they get shafted, this last season was the first time they'd played Hawthorn at Simmonds staidum in some 16 years or so.

Thats the thing they even upgraded its capacity for that very reason to host finals but because they drew Richmond AFL cares more about money than fairness.

They would of beaten Richmond first up if it was at SS.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
If the majority of the competition continue to s**t the bed then this is entirely possible. The supposed better sides in this competition continue to under achieve. To which we are one & Today it was Adelaide's turn .
Having said that Richmond's effort today and for the majority of the year makes them deserved Premiers. Amazingly several of their players in post game interviews all quoted themselves as a team with not the most talent but a whole lot of spirit. Maybe our blokes should take the same outlook and see if that works because being rated at the top end of the spectrum obviously doesn't sit well with them. Don't know if this will ever happen from external opinions though because as late as Thursday night guess who is a $4 favourite with TAB Sportsbet to win the 2018 AFL Premiership ? You Guessed it !:rolleyes:

I don't believe a word a player says to the media these days. They've all been coached to say the right thing. It's all platitudes, drummed into them from the time they join the list. "One game at a time" "It was a team effort" etc etc. Actions are the only things that are real. Like when Goodes dropped himself to the reserves. A great statement from one of the best in the game that a player is only as good as his current form. We've been fortunate to have had a few great leaders in our club who walk the walk and lead by example. I don't think we're at risk of getting ahead of ourselves but at the same time we should have a measure of self-belief.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Thats the thing they even upgraded its capacity for that very reason to host finals but because they drew Richmond AFL cares more about money than fairness.

My hope is that one day the dam will break and there will be just one or two clubs left in the AFL out of Melbourne with the rest playing in the VFL. Imagine, for example, Hobart Devils, Darwin Dingoes, Canberra Pollies (begins with C), Newcastle Numbats, Christchurch Chilly-bins and Wollongong Wallabies to replace Pies, Blues, Saints, Norf, Dons and Dogs. AFL HQ in Canberra. All clubs having women's teams and their own academies. Aussie Rules played in schools across the country. Professional umpires drawn from all locations. That'd be a good target for next 10-15 years.

No they wouldnt

Goes against "tradition" but I prefer the game being played on a neutral venue. Obviously will never happen until the majority of stadiums in Australia hold 70k+ fans though. It's also amazing how every ground used in the AFL have different dimensions to each other. Really should be a set standard, but that will cost way too much to rectify.

It's not just tradition and stadium capacity. The AFL have a contract with the MCC to play every grand final at the MCG and the current contract expires in the 2030's

Wanna bet? they already beat them just a few rounds before the finals depleted as well.

tigers should of won that game

I could bet, but not sure how we sort it out, they played terrific footy in the finals

myyakhasfleas

All Australian
Sep 1, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
It's not just tradition and stadium capacity. The AFL have a contract with the MCC to play every grand final at the MCG and the current contract expires in the 2030's

And the contract will no doubt be extended again unless more stadiums in Australia increase their capacity, but any word of the grand final possibly moving elsewhere when the contract is up will be met with the "tradition" excuse just to keep it in Victoria.

Over Freo and the Lions you can't knock that form.

I dunno. Who knows we cant know.they did what they had to do thats all.

I dont think Geelong are that good, im sure if we wanted we could dimish their seasons wins and argue they were not really a top 2 team

Have to be able to win at the G to win the flag anyway, geelong are happy to play big drawing games there generally, theres also never been a promise of home finals, just home state like ours last year

Do you think we need a home grand final as an aside?

And the contract will no doubt be extended again unless more stadiums in Australia increase their capacity, but any word of the grand final possibly moving elsewhere when the contract is up will be met with the "tradition" excuse just to keep it in Victoria.

Do we need 100k seats for the grand final?

No, not at all. However the AFL wouldn't want to lose out on revenue by having the final on a smaller ground. Look at Geelong and their "home" finals.

The afl could charge what they wanted lets be honest

Just make tickets dearer at the small grounds

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
I dunno. Who knows we cant know.they did what they had to do thats all.

I dont think Geelong are that good, im sure if we wanted we could dimish their seasons wins and argue they were not really a top 2 team

Have to be able to win at the G to win the flag anyway, geelong are happy to play big drawing games there generally, theres also never been a promise of home finals, just home state like ours last year

Do you think we need a home grand final as an aside?
Agree all roads lead to the MCG and at 0-5 over the last 5 years non Vic teams have to work harder. Crows were poor today and Tigers played to their strengths.

ColdBlooded

Debutant
Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Red Wings
Adelaide's forward line was very unswanslike today. For a fleeting moment, I actually thought for a fleeting moment that the capitulation against Geelong was a dream and that Longmire was coaching today given how Richmond kept having a spare man in the contest whenever the Crows had a F50 entry along with Don Pyke's apparent lack of a Plan B, and yet another finals meltdown.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Adelaide's forward line was very unswanslike today. For a fleeting moment, I actually thought for a fleeting moment that the capitulation against Geelong was a dream and that Longmire was coaching today given how Richmond kept having a spare man in the contest whenever the Crows had a F50 entry along with Don Pyke's apparent lack of a Plan B, and yet another finals meltdown.
Surprised I didn't see Pyke yell 'Reid to the ******* backline' today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back