News Grand Final at the Gabba - Formerly: Where will this years grand final end up if victoria cant have crowds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can people just stop this crap and whinging?! The decision has been made the game will be played there.

In regards to the conditions, if it is dewy, then it will be a game with dew. If it is wet, it will a wet weather game. If it is dry then it will be a dry weather game. If it is windy, teams will need to adjust. It is no different to playing it at the G with weather conditions. If clubs dont want to play at the Gabba because of the conditions, give your spot up for someone else because I can guarantee you there will be 17 other clubs jumping at a GF spot.

South Australia and Western Australia's stances early on in the season is what cost them the GF. Queensland was more than accommodating for the AFL and that is one major factor in them winning the GF. You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

Grand finals are generally played at the G
Surprised you didn’t know that.
However this thread’s about where it’s played this year, and is pretty full of aggrieved West Australians who feel they were entitled to it.
They are played at the G, which, rightly or wrongly, is a huge advantage to MCG tenants.

The post I was responding to claimed that WCE had more unfair advantages than Richmond.

AFL: it will grow the game in QLD

Same AFL: signs an agreement only 2 years ago to monopolize the GF in one state for another 40 years

Integrity is just a word they use when it suits them

AFL: The GF must be played at the MCG because its the biggest and best stadium in a footy heartland

Same AFL: we are holding the GF in a Rugby state at a 3rd rate stadium with reduced capacity

I totally agree with your sentiment about Covid and living in London have lived it. I didn’t leave my house for 14 weeks!

I hope everyone survives and the economy and lives return to normal. I love Vic and have had some amazing times there. I have many happy memories of 1991 when I was there.

Interestingly, the only sad event was watching my team lose the only GF I have ever attended. A brilliant Hawthorn team overran my tired Eagles who had been given one home final they were eligible for but not the other final and prelim we deserved in Perth.

That’s the key- it’s always harder for us. Unfortunately the answer is the one no one wants and the hardest one. Less teams in Melbourne.

I went to the 1986 WAFL grand final and then watched my Subiaco team win our first flag after years on the bottom. We rebuilt our club and matched St Kilda in a cup game.

When the Eagles entered Subiaco was decimated and stayed in the state league as I believe St Kilda & North Melbourne should be now.

I just keep making sacrifices- no home finals in early years, two prelims away that were earned and another potentially this year, our major competitor rarely playing us at home and never twice in a year, the GF sold to the MCG in a closed negotiation for way unders.

See why we feel the way we do!

I also understand your point of view and you have made sacrifices. I just want home and away with a rotating GF at another ground every second year. It’s the Australian Football league and the way Gil is treating us in not doing any interviews with WA media is disrespectful. 25 times ABC have asked this year.

Stay healthy Vics- we support you
Why should St.Kilda be in the state league?

Just shut the * up lol

I have before and am happy to again. This isn’t the thread. Tag me in an appropriate thread.
In theory Victorian clubs should have an advantage over interstate clubs in grand finals. However, that’s not supported by the statistical evidence.
ln theory non Vic clubs should have an advantage in the other finals and in the home and away season and that is supported by the statistical evidence. West Coast has probably the biggest statistical advantage of all. Due to a number of factors including historical, supporter base, resources, and geographic.
But again this is really a discussion for another thread. It doesn’t have anything to do with the issue I was trying to raise in this thread. Which was about the appalling attitude that some West Australians have displayed towards Victorians, justified in this thread because they didn’t get a Grand Final to which they feel entitled.
Lol...appalling attitude, what a hypocrite.
See post 4188, even your fellow supporter's are calling you out for making stupid statements.

They are played at the G, which, rightly or wrongly, is a huge advantage to MCG tenants.

The post I was responding to claimed that WCE had more unfair advantages than Richmond.

Since 1990, officially AFL’s first year, Victorian teams have won the grand final against interstate teams 9 times. Interstate teams have won the grand final against Victorian teams 9 times. MCG tenants have won the grand final against interstate teams 7 times. Interstate teams have won the grand final against MCG tenants 6 times. A difference of one in 30 years! Huge advantage for MCG tenants you say! Really?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since 1990, officially AFL’s first year, Victorian teams have won the grand final against interstate teams 9 times. Interstate teams have won the grand final against Victorian teams 9 times. MCG tenants have won the grand final against interstate teams 7 times. Interstate teams have won the grand final against MCG tenants 6 times. A difference of one in 30 years! Huge advantage for MCG tenants you say! Really?
The last time a Vic club defeated a Vic club to win a GF was 2011.

people say hawthorns three peat was so great-
2012(RU)- defeat Adelaide at MCG in prelim, lose to Sydney at MCG in GF
2013- defeat Geelong at MCG in prelim, defeat Freo at MCG in GF
2014: defeat Port at MCG in prelim, defeat Sydney at MCG in GF
2015: defeat Freo at Subiaco in prelim, defeat West Coast st MCG in GF

Richmond too defeated interstate clubs in both their premierships

Just saying, if there was a Vic team in the gf the results could’ve been different

Last edited:
The last time a Vic club defeated a Vic club to win a GF was 2011.

people say hawthorns three peat was so great-
2012(RU)- defeat Adelaide at MCG in prelim, lose to Sydney at MCG in GF
2013- defeat Geelong at MCG in prelim, defeat Freo at MCG in GF
2014: defeat Port at MCG in prelim, defeat Sydney at MCG in GF
2015: defeat Freo at Subiaco in prelim, defeat West Coast st MCG in GF

Adelaide too defeated interstate clubs in both their premierships

Just saying, if there was a Vic team in the gf the results could’ve been different

Wow, I always thought the Hawthorn three peat was much easier than the Brisbane one. Ironically, the main thing that cost Brisbane a four peat was an earned PF played in Melbourne (similar to West Coast in 1991).

But to see the fact that most of their PF & GF opponents were interstate teams at the MCG clearly shows how much harder it was for Brisbane. That is the point- it’s always harder for interstate teams.

If you look at the two greatest clubs of the AFL era Hawthorn had home ground GF against interstate teams and West Coast travelled. That may be why Hawthorn have 5 premierships and West Coast 4.

Hawthorn have also played West Coast in 1991 & 2015 GF at their home grounds Waverley & MCG. Hawthorn deserve 1991 as they beat West Coast in Perth & Melbourne in the finals. 2015 GF would probably have been won by West Coast if in Perth as West Coast had beaten Hawthorn in Perth earlier in the finals. It would be West Coast 5- Hawthorn 4.

Again- it’s harder from interstate.

Oh, and Hawthorn are a magnificent club I respect immensely.

No.

You started talking sh*t about it in this thread, YOU link it or post it here.

Otherwise, stop talking sh*t.
For God's sake, please stop your infernal whinging because you're not getting what you feel you're entitled to. You sound like a spoilt little child.
If you want your answer, tag me in an appropriate thread. I've explained the reason why I won't answer that question in this thread, several times. Hissy fits and tantrums from you won't change that. Why do you Eagles supporters think it will? It's just so pathetic.

For God's sake, please stop your infernal whinging because you're not getting what you feel you're entitled to. You sound like a spoilt little child.
If you want your answer, tag me in an appropriate thread. I've explained the reason why I won't answer that question in this thread, several times. Hissy fits and tantrums from you won't change that. Why do you Eagles supporters think it will? It's just so pathetic.
waiting for mate.png

Yes. The game is literally played at home. Being a GF doesn’t make that different, it just means you have a small sample size.

I have before and am happy to again. This isn’t the thread. Tag me in an appropriate thread.
In theory Victorian clubs should have an advantage over interstate clubs in grand finals. However, that’s not supported by the statistical evidence.
ln theory non Vic clubs should have an advantage in the other finals and in the home and away season and that is supported by the statistical evidence. West Coast has probably the biggest statistical advantage of all. Due to a number of factors including historical, supporter base, resources, and geographic.
But again this is really a discussion for another thread. It doesn’t have anything to do with the issue I was trying to raise in this thread. Which was about the appalling attitude that some West Australians have displayed towards Victorians, justified in this thread because they didn’t get a Grand Final to which they feel entitled.

Rubbish.
Consider that the West Coast flags of the 90s are routinely disregarded because "virtual state of origin team", that Adelaide in 1997/97 benefited from similar recruiting rules to the Eagles, Brisbane had arguably the greatest team of all time and that Sydney had 10% more salary cap than their opponents.

Arguably non Victorian teams can only reach grand final parity with major recruiting advantages which have all since been removed in favour of equalisation.

AFL: the eagles can not play the last round at home even though the stadium is free and can accommodate the largest crowds because of integrity

same AFL: we fully intend to shaft WC out of any potential earned home finals

AFL: the eagles can not play the last round at home even though the stadium is free and can accommodate the largest crowds because of integrity

God you blokes are tedious with your whining. You’ve had more home games than most clubs this year.

The Eagles can’t buy the game, more like.

If I have read the AFL’s comments correctly, they seem to suggest that holding week 1 and 2 in Perth can work, but week 3 would be difficult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back