Grand final crowd numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

I got an SMS from my son this arvo.

Apparently there a limited number of tickets left . Unused "allocation" from Geelong and/or Richmond Priority members that will be put on sale on Thursday 12.00 AEDT.(11am Brisbane time)

Son heard it from a mate but I also heard the same thing on the radio (4BC) about 20 minutes ago ,so I assume it's genuine.

Why don't they just fill the stadium. an extra 7,000 not going to be any different. The squishyness to get onto the buses sat night was laughable with the idea of trying to social distance.
100%, makes not one iota of sense, utterly ridiculous not to make all seats available.

Why don't they just fill the stadium. an extra 7,000 not going to be any different. The squishyness to get onto the buses sat night was laughable with the idea of trying to social distance.

Indeed. The squishiness before, during and after the event made a total mockery of the "SD" mantra

But don't start me again on the sheer absurdity of it all.

I did like the row of vacant seats below ours though, could stretch out

Daughter was sitting on the other side of the Gabba (to me) the other night. There were vacant "blocks" of seating right near her

She told me that at some point, a woman near her tried to shift from the sardine like seating to one of the seats in that inviting expanse.

Within seconds a "Covid Marshall" pounced and ordered her to "resume your seat please!!!"

There must be logic to that somewhere but it escapes my puny mind.

Daughter was sitting on the other side of the Gabba (to me) the other night. There were vacant "blocks" of seating right near her

She told me that at some point, a woman near her tried to shift from the sardine like seating to one of the seats in that inviting expanse.

Within seconds a "Covid Marshall" pounced and ordered her to "resume your seat please!!!"

There must be logic to that somewhere but it escapes my puny mind.
Not sure on the logic with the empty seats, but definitely understand why there's no movement - if that daughter later turns out to be COVID positive, they can trace the people around her designated seat. It's a lot harder to trace if she jumps from seat to seat in the empty area.

For the people commenting jumping on at 9:01am and missing out - the queue actually starts before 9am, 8:45 I think it was today. Got a few tickets myself this morning, should be a good day for footy in QLD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I clicked on the icon on the Ticketmaster website about 20 seconds past 9 am......and found myself something like 5930th in the queue.

After about five or six minutes I got to "find tickets" but it rejected my request for two Cat 4 (cheapest) tickets about 5 or 6 times....."unable to process your request"

I can't remember exactly what I tried next but at about 9.17am, I suddenly got offered two Category 2 seats @ $381 each, which was way more than I originally thought I was willing to pay

Decisions .....decisions.......

What the hell..... gritted my teeth, convinced myself it was "only" money, accepted and paid for the bloody things.

My wallet hurts like hell but I realise now that I was extremely fortunate to jag those seats. If I'd rejected them and tried for something cheaper again, i would have been certain to miss out completely.

They are Section 52 (Upper tier), Row DD which is just about perfect viewing height for me, even if it is between the Goals and the 50 metre arc.

Sometimes you get lucky
Weird thing was I was on the moment you could join the queue (8.45) and I missed out about number 16K in the queue but my mate logged in at 9 on the dot and was about 4000th. I really think the queue was a random number and not sequential.

Not sure on the logic with the empty seats, but definitely understand why there's no movement - if that daughter later turns out to be COVID positive, they can trace the people around her designated seat. It's a lot harder to trace if she jumps from seat to seat in the empty area.

That would make perfect sense.......... if every single one of the 30,000 people in attendance were beamed down to their designated seats from their homes, were completely static for the duration of the event and then beamed back up to the safety of their bedrooms after the event.

But a crowd of that magnitude is a moving, fluent beast, no matter how much you try to restrict the individuals that it consists of.

So if there was a person in that crowd with Covid, I can't imagine how you could possibly limit the number of persons that he/she had contact with, to the subset of those seated in his/her immediate vicinity.

In such a sea of humanity, this hypothetically infected person surely has more than casual contact with dozens if not hundreds of others just by virtue of getting to and from the ground, moving around at breaks and being caught up in the throng exiting the game.

It's the exiting part that's most fraught. After the QF over the Tigers, my wife and I had to walk a couple of hundred metres along Vulture Street and at least twice that distance down Main Street, cross over Stanley Street to get, (eventually) to the designated pick up spot for the bus to take us home. We were literally shoulder to shoulder in a mass of hundreds if not thousands of fellow football fans travelling in the same direction for well over 20 minutes Several people were making sardonic comments to the effect that they hoped no-one else had Covid or we were all screwed!!!!

Then we all jammed into a Carindale bus carrying perhaps 80 or 90 and spent 20 to 30 minutes in close proximity to lots of them, depending on where your exit stop was.

Bottom line is, if there is a Covid positive person in a crowd of 30,000, i struggle to grasp how multiple transmissions will NOT occur. If that happens, Pandora's box will have been opened in spite of all the "precautions"

Good luck trying to contact trace 30,000 individuals.

What are going to be the parameters? ....."anyone at the game the other night who thinks that might have been in close proximity to a female Caucasian, 45 years old, wearing a yellow dress ,a Lions beanie with brown hair and wearing blue sneakers should immediately get tested for Covid"????

If you go to the footy there is a risk of getting any number of transmittable diseases, including Covid , no matter how minuscule that risk is. We have been "educated" enough

Take that tiny educated risk or stay home .

Just spare me the lecturing from the Qld CMO from the replay screen, the paranoia, the "Covid Marshalls" and the urgings about SD from the guys in the flouro jackets with the load hailers when I'm walking to the Entry Gate.

That would make perfect sense.......... if every single one of the 30,000 people in attendance were beamed down to their designated seats from their homes, were completely static for the duration of the event and then beamed back up to the safety of their bedrooms after the event.

But a crowd of that magnitude is a moving, fluent beast, no matter how much you try to restrict the individuals that it consists of.

So if there was a person in that crowd with Covid, I can't imagine how you could possibly limit the number of persons that he/she had contact with, to the subset of those seated in his/her immediate vicinity.
It's been pretty clearly demonstrated that exposure is a combination of time in close presence and characteristics of the area in close presence.

The Gabba mitigates the later by being in the open area, not enclosed, free air flow, etc (part of the reason there's been next to no clusters linked to protests in the US or Australia). They're mitigating the former by limiting the number of people who each person comes into contact for an extended period of time. If you look at the US whenever there's been a cluster at events, people tended to catch COVID by sitting near a carrier at a static event - not every person who walked past them on the way to the toilets or the bar.

The idea is not to have to track 30,000 people. The idea is to have to track the 20 people seated within five metres of the person. Not the 40 people because that person shifted a seat once, 20 of which they're not sure who they are because the person doesn't recall (or won't say) exactly which seat they switched to.

I know you've been ranting about COVID measures several times across the board so I don't expect to convince you. I'm just explaining why the measure is in place. I also don't see how Brisbane Transport's failures means that the Gabba should cater to a lowest common denominator of shitty COVID planning.

Weird thing was I was on the moment you could join the queue (8.45) and I missed out about number 16K in the queue but my mate logged in at 9 on the dot and was about 4000th. I really think the queue was a random number and not sequential.

My son was here at my place using his mobile phone to book. He was logged on to Tiketmaster from 8.30 but it wouldn't even let him join a queue till 9.00am on the dot, When he did , he got number 3900+ in the queue, just about the same as your mate.

When such a big number came up, I decided to use my PC as a back up plan. That was about 20 seconds later and I got a result of 5900+

The original plan was for him to book four Cat 4 (cheapest) seats but the site just kept rejecting that . When he went down to two seats he got a positive response and took those two Cat 4 seats on offer (for him and his fiancee)

That's when we realised that I would have to try to get the other two seats on my PC.

As I said earlier , I consider myself very fortunate to have got an offer of two more seats on the back up plan, even if they cost me double what I thought I was willing to pay. At least they're good ones

I know you've been ranting about COVID measures several times across the board so I don't expect to convince you. I'm just explaining why the measure is in place. I also don't see how Brisbane Transport's failures means that the Gabba should cater to a lowest common denominator of shitty COVID planning.

I thought I put my viewpoint in a clear and cogent manner

I don't see the need to dismiss my observations as "ranting"

I believe that language diminishes your argument more than mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back