Grand final day weather records

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Probably something the BOM can dig up, but am curious about weather records for grand final day.

Like hottest, coldest, wettest, windiest etc.

I believe 2015 was the hottest, in early October when it got to 31 (still very warm for early October in Melbourne). Wonder what the coldest is? Has the weather ever been so inclement a grand final has been delayed?

I have accessed this website multiple times to view weather history: https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/au/melbourne-airport/YMML/date/2018-8-31

It allows you to toggle the date and view the temperature graphs and wind speeds of the day. From this data, a table containing the date, max/min temp., wind speeds, precipitation, and other general GF information (crowds, teams, score) could also be included(such as analysing crowd numbers on cold days compared to warm, or scores on warmer days compared to colder). I think the database only dates back to 1996, however it is a great starting point for further research

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Probably something the BOM can dig up, but am curious about weather records for grand final day.

I believe 2015 was the hottest, in early October when it got to 31 (still very warm for early October in Melbourne). Wonder what the coldest is? Has the weather ever been so inclement a grand final has been delayed?
http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/michael-tuck-in-short-sleeves/
Michael Tuck in short sleeves? It happened on the last Saturday in September of 30 years ago, as PETER SWEENEY reports.

Bearded, bloodied – and bloody hot – Michael Tuck amazed the football world when he led the Hawks out for the third quarter of the 1987 grand final against Carlton.

Acting on “medical advice”, the evergreen ruckrover stripped into a short sleeved jumper at the main break – his sinewy white-coloured arms the talk of the town in the last half.

“The swap into short sleeves was a mental and medical decision. It was nearly 31 degrees and it was so hot and windy. The medical men told me the body would cool quicker with the skin exposed, so I got into short sleeves. I should have started the game in it.”

The official temperature was 30.7 degrees, the hottest grand final day on record.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/382faf3e8fb79078af70356062aa6b89
September 29, 2015 7:30pm

AS soon as the Bureau of Meteorology declared with some certainty this week that the first Saturday in October would be 28 degrees, Hawthorn’s task of becoming just the second team in a decade to win four finals in a row became a whole lot harder.

Not since 1987 has the mercury risen on Grand Final day to around the 30 degrees mark, and that day is still embedded in the memories of the Hawthorn faithful as one where the rare and extreme heat played a part in denying what could have been a four-peat.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

2015 is the hottest, I will check for coldest over the next day or two. PM me if I forget.

Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong

The national Bureau of Meteorology website links to a page titled as Climate Data Online
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/?ref=ftr

Just one tip for research in the historic era rather than contemporary - when a location of interest is chosen make sure you untick the "Nearest Bureau stations" section so that closed stations are listed as well as those still open.

Back