Grand final day

Remove this Banner Ad

My first memory is mostly of Snake Baker taking speccies in the sunshine and the shades Ron Barassi wore as North coach.
First grand final I watched is my first football memory...Cannot recall anything before that of watching footy. I was hooked on footy after my first grand final live on tv was a draw and played again the next week. Two grand finals within a week. Was awesome.

Last edited:
Yep I started at the London tavern in 17 and 19 about 9.30am and the place was already packed. 2017 I rolled into bed at around 7am while last year was a much more respectable hour as wanted to make sure I was able to take my son to the family day on the Sunday. 2 days/nights that will live with me forever, hopefully more to come.
I went to the London Tavern pre game last year,love that joint when it’s jumpin’

Feels like forever ago now.

It's a good day but the whole MCG factor, like the ground itself, is massively overrated. Lots of people, but no different to any other big event the world over. Your team competing puts another level of excitement to it, but that is more an internal thing.
It’s not just a game here, it’s an event. It’s a whole week starting on Monday with the Brownlow to Friday with the parade. The whole city gets behind it and I’d struggle to think of anywhere else in the world that has anything like it.

It’s not just a game here, it’s an event. It’s a whole week starting on Monday with the Brownlow to Friday with the parade. The whole city gets behind it and I’d struggle to think of anywhere else in the world that has anything like it.

When Pickett kicked that goal and the G trembled,best,I had goosebumps.

I went to the VFL granny and never in my wildest dreams would I think Pickett would be selected for his first senior game but I know my Tiger mate was very optimistic about it as were other Tiger fans there that day.

And it was a fantastic feeling when Richmond announced it.

I think you need to get out more.

2004 was the best of times. Still have fond memories of heading from the G to Punt Road post game to hear Jimmy Barnes and Joe Camileri perform.

Then there was 2007 - the worst of times. Flew down to Melbourne the morning of the game, had amazing seats & was pleasantly surprised pre-game that any signs of expected rain were non existent. I was quietly confident Port would take it to Geelong that day given the experience in the side, & I remember being a tad surprised that Geelong elected to stay home the night before the game as opposed to staying in a Melbourne CBD hotel together as a team. At the time I wondered whether the road warrior mentality could give Port the edge. Boy was i in for a rude shock.

I don't know why I stayed until the end. Flew back home that night, remember lying down on my bed once I got home thinking "wtf just happened today?!" Seriously felt like a bad dream.

If Port make it this year I'll once again be moving heaven and earth to get to Brisbane for the game. Regardless, I'm excited for a night GF. If produced properly by Channel 7 it has all the makings of being a permanent fixture going forward.

It's a good day but the whole MCG factor, like the ground itself, is massively overrated. Lots of people, but no different to any other big event the world over. Your team competing puts another level of excitement to it, but that is more an internal thing.
I'd love to see the Grand Final at the Adelaide Oval

Nah jokes. Keep on whinging

You went in ‘07 didn’t you?

Only been to 1 - 2006 - when I was young(ish), single and cashed up....so it mattered less that it cost me a small fortune to get over from Perth at the last minute.

Got to see my team win a flag by a point over a bitter rival.

So clearly, the best money I have ever spent.
I was there in 2006 as well, one of the great grand finals.

You went in ‘07 didn’t you?

Yep. Also went in 04 and 95. So I've seen a win a loss and been as a neutral. It's a good day and when you win its a great day. Just have always felt the MCG is slightly underwhelming. It's Big, I'll give it that, and lots of people create atmosphere but outside that it's not that special. There are better viewing grounds even within Australia. Especially when you see stadiums and events the world over you realise what a sort of hick event the AFL Grand Final is. The kitsch Grand Final Parade? The Footy Shows Player Reviews The Grand Final Sprint? The poor attempts at Half time entertainment? The AFL in many ways is still stuck in a suburban domestic comp timewarp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Also went in 04 and 95. So I've seen a win a loss and been as a neutral. It's a good day and when you win its a great day. Just have always felt the MCG is slightly underwhelming. It's Big, I'll give it that, and lots of people create atmosphere but outside that it's not that special. There are better viewing grounds even within Australia. Especially when you see stadiums and events the world over you realise what a sort of hick event the AFL Grand Final is. The kitsch Grand Final Parade? The Footy Shows Player Reviews The Grand Final Sprint? The poor attempts at Half time entertainment? The AFL in many ways is still stuck in a suburban domestic comp timewarp.
Name a bigger stadium, I’m not talking capacity but a bigger actual stadium. NFL and soccer stadiums are smaller size due to the field size even if the capacity is bigger. A grander more imposing stadium I’ve never seen and I’ve been to some of the biggest stadiums in Europe and the States. As for the game itself, like I said earlier it’s an event that a city of 5 million all get behind. Stands proudly alongside every other big sporting event worldwide.

We all know that the biggest reason the GF was not played in Perth or Adelaide was that the Victorian Government and AFL (essentially the same thing) knew that it would be just as good a spectacle/atmosphere and bring further scrutiny to their corrupt back door MCC deal to have the GF at the Big over rated Concrete Bowl forever.

Name a bigger stadium, I’m not talking capacity but a bigger actual stadium. NFL and soccer stadiums are smaller size due to the field size even if the capacity is bigger. A grander more imposing stadium I’ve never seen and I’ve been to some of the biggest stadiums in Europe and the States. As for the game itself, like I said earlier it’s an event that a city of 5 million all get behind. Stands proudly alongside every other big sporting event worldwide.

You actually believe that the AFL Grand Final is as prestigious as other major sporting events around the world?? Outside of Australia the game is irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back