Grand Final decided in 2 games?

Remove this Banner Ad

What sort of game do you think the 2nd leg would have been if we had 2 legs last year? 48 point lead taking into the 2nd leg would be a diabolical spectacle. The grand final is decided on 1 day. There are no second chances, no best of 7 or best of 3. You are either good enough or not good enough on that one day in September.

With my idea it would just mean Richmond would have gone 1-0. They still would have needed to win 1 more game.

I like the idea from a fairness perspective. Eliminates the advantage that Vic teams have in a GF.

But from a practicality perspective there are too many issues. If the first game is a huge win then the second game likely becomes an overly defensive bore. Plus having the GF decided over two games really takes the shine off. The second game will feel much less special.

Actually one of the few american ideas we should look at is a best of 3/5 series seeing that'd give a more fair reflection of who is the best team (instead of best + luck) whilst rewarding the overall highest placed team (instead with our current system where 1 and 2 gets equal rewards).

The issue is of course, if two non Melbourne team gets in seeing MCG is still contracted for finals, but unfortunately money is a tad too important to the AFL over what would be a fairer system.

Not weighing in on the 'where it should be played debate', but let's say it's a best of 5 series and goes for an additional 4 weeks. Those teams will be absolutely knackered. the quality of football will be trash and you might as well wipe the next season as you would be even further behind in training compared to teams that didn't make the finals. Neutrals will lose interest pretty quickly I'd say..

It works in the NBA because each player is getting a max of 40 minutes (the average is much lower) so across 7 games, that's not horrible.

In my opinion, it needs to be 1 game so excitement is at it's peak. 1 winner, 1 loser. Not offering a solution to the debate of course, a playoff series wouldn't be great for the sport (IMO).

With my idea it would just mean Richmond would have gone 1-0. They still would have needed to win 1 more game.
One more game with a 48 point head start? A team has an 8 goal head start what sort of spectacle would the 2nd game be? The team will defend defend defend, kick between themselves for 4 quarters. Is that what you want to see for the grand final? Again it’s a really stupid idea.

No one is jealous of Richmond. I mean sure Adelaide lost in the 2017 Grand Final, but overall I would much rather be a fan of Adelaide over the past 25 years than I would a fan of Richmond. Adelaide has a certain amount of dignity as a club, never actively seeking out a wooden spoon.
Hehehehe.Dignity.Cola.

One more game with a 48 point head start? A team has an 8 goal head start what sort of spectacle would the 2nd game be? The team will defend defend defend, kick between themselves for 4 quarters. Is that what you want to see for the grand final? Again it’s a really stupid idea.

No, it is just counted as a win. So 3 games, and a team needs to win 2 of them to be premiers.

I actually didn’t say Adelaide lost because it was at the MCG. It definitely contributed to it, Richmond were better that day.

I am not sure if there is any other sporting competition in the world where a team fights all year for home ground advantage and then at the final game gives that advantage to it’s opposing team.
Opposed to the crows home advantage(Along with WA clubs) during the H&A season to get to the finals in the first place?

I like the idea from a fairness perspective. Eliminates the advantage that Vic teams have in a GF.

But from a practicality perspective there are too many issues. If the first game is a huge win then the second game likely becomes an overly defensive bore. Plus having the GF decided over two games really takes the shine off. The second game will feel much less special.

Assuming one of the teams are a vic grand finalist. Where it’s an all interstate GF I’m sure everyone is fine with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t realise you guys travelled 11 times also

Didn't realise you did.

But he was talking about home ground advantage, so playing other local teams doesn't give you one.

Not to mention that not all HGA's are equal.

I actually don’t think they choked, that’s selling the tigers performance short. They lost pretty much in the same way the cats and giants did before them. Gave it their best shot but couldn’t handle the immense pressure the tigers brought. Like the giants and cats they hung on for dear life in the first half before the tigers cracked them open in the second.
Good summation

Didn't realise you did.

But he was talking about home ground advantage, so playing other local teams doesn't give you one.

Not to mention that not all HGA's are equal.

Sorry 10 times travelling compared to 5. So I think they kind of balance each other out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back