Analysis Grand final entertainment 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Utterly delusional. She was a highlight, especially on Dance Monkey. I'd rather that over Dean Lewis any day of the week, let alone Meatloaf 2011.
Nah sorry mate, don’t agree with your opinion.

Lots of old man yelling at cloud going on in here.

If you were selecting an act for the GF and you could choose a local Australian artist, who has the current number 1 single in multiple countries, then surely Tones & I makes sense?

Her music probably doesn’t quite suit the MCG as a venue but it caters well for the younger audience and she’s both Australian and popular. I’d much rather that to the disaster that was Meatloaf.

Either get a proper big name artist who can perform (The Killers) or go local.

Far from the worst pre-game entertainment we’ve seen, no one liked everyone but everyone seems to have liked at least one of the acts.
It isn't old men yelling at cloud at all. Don't stereotype. How hard is it to get The Living End or someone like that who cater for a lot of age groups to belt out some tunes?, yeah the teenie boppers might not be overly familiar with it but at least you know what your getting not sleep inducing lounge music.

It isn't old men yelling at cloud at all. Don't stereotype. How hard is it to get The Living End or someone like that who cater for a lot of age groups to belt out some tunes?, yeah the teenie boppers might not be overly familiar with it but at least you know what your getting not sleep inducing lounge music.
Lock away 5 seconds of Summer next year along with an Aussie fave like Barnsey or Farnsey.

Simples.
Yep was going to suggest Johnny Farnham as well. 5 seconds of summer is exactly the type of band it needs as well. Aussie pop punk which the older bogans will nod along too.

People do realisd that Dance Monkey now has spent a record 9 weeks at No.1 on the Aria charts and has also taken the top spot in 6 other countries worldwide?!

When it come to entertainment, so many AFL supporters are stuck in the dark ages... no wonder Mike Brady can get away with doing one show a year to keep his career afloat.

FFS get in the 21st century.

Bring back meatloaf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES!

Paul Kelly saved the day from being a total stuff up

People do realisd that Dance Monkey now has spent a record 9 weeks at No.1 on the Aria charts and has also taken the top spot in 6 other countries worldwide?!

When it come to entertainment, so many AFL supporters are stuck in the dark ages... no wonder Mike Brady can get away with doing one show a year to keep his career afloat.

FFS get in the 21st century.

Ignoring the chart success it was still the wrong kind of act to be performed in a sports stadium. May as well have got the wiggles on the ground to perform!!

The Living End??! Please.... they've well and truly slid down the mountain after peaking 10+ years ago

The problem lies in the fact that it's in the middle of the day, on a stage in the middle of a massive stadium. It looks like s**t, embarrassing even. At night with lights etc and with that pathetic rend a crowd removed, people's perspective on the sounds that come out of that girls mouth changes. You might not like the song but she sounded exactly like she does in the recorded version (like a weird Jamaican).

You know when your parents disliked the music you listened to as a teenager but you were all like ‘what would you know about music mum & dad - you are so old!’ Well, that’s what kind of going on here! Tall poppy syndrome in fine form. I think the AFL did well to get 3 known acts (even if you only knew Paul Kelly) that catered for all age groups. The AFL isn’t just an entity for males over 30. If you watched the coverage, there was a great cut away shot of two young fellas (about 8 years old) having a good ol dance to Dance Monkey. They were loving it. Why should younger audiences be left out of being entertained. Fair enough that some music is not your ‘style’ but there’s no need to be derogatory. These artists are successful for a reason and should be celebrated for it. They are Aussies doing good things!!

Couldn't hear it from standing room. Not impressed with the slow version of the anthem. But the game was ******* fantastic.

You know when your parents disliked the music you listened to as a teenager but you were all like ‘what would you know about music mum & dad - you are so old!’ Well, that’s what kind of going on here! Tall poppy syndrome in fine form. I think the AFL did well to get 3 known acts (even if you only knew Paul Kelly) that catered for all age groups. The AFL isn’t just an entity for males over 30. If you watched the coverage, there was a great cut away shot of two young fellas (about 8 years old) having a good ol dance to Dance Monkey. They were loving it. Why should younger audiences be left out of being entertained. Fair enough that some music is not your ‘style’ but there’s no need to be derogatory. These artists are successful for a reason and should be celebrated for it. They are Aussies doing good things!!

Do you reckon Tones and I will be welcomed back to the MCG in 30 years time to play Dance Monkey like Paul Kelly is these days to play his old hits?

I reckon most people would have forgotten about Tones and I by this time next year, even the kids that liked their songs would have moved on.

Alot of sheep here.

Thought Tones did well. Trip J music sure, but sang well.

Her music isnt for everyone and thats fine.

Overall I thought the entertainment was the usual boring crap though.

Why is it only ever:
Play artist 1 x2 songs.
Play artis 2 x2 songs.
Play artist 3x 2 songs.
Running race.
Play artist x 2 songs.

Does the AFL not realise theres other forms of entertainment? Particularly when the G is so rubbish accoustically.

They really need to come up with some sort of different act. Dont ask me what.. but surely theres something. Get someone to parachute in and film it on the big screen. Come up with SOMETHING different for entertainment.

Daredevil does a jump over something. I dno. Someone throw a pie at Basil.

Do you reckon Tones and I will be welcomed back to the MCG in 30 years time to play Dance Monkey like Paul Kelly is these days to play his old hits?

I reckon most people would have forgotten about Tones and I by this time next year, even the kids that liked their songs would have moved on.
supposed longevity should have little bearing on present act choice. Whether she may be relevant in a couple years is irrelevant, about giving the crowd a good time now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would want that anyway?! You’d want what was currently popular. This was right for 2019. People are forgetting that the the kids are coming and are the future of the game. They also deserve to be catered for.

So a band that has no current songs in the Top 40, wouldn't be familiar to many (any) people under 25, and performed at the GF only 3 years ago? Sounds like old man yelling at cloud to me. I'm sorry you don't want people under 25 to enjoy the pre-game music, but surely you can just close your ears for 10 minutes until the next act is on, and end the football game to follow. There's few viable options that will make the majority happy.

Tones & I was a perfectly sensible choice for the younger audience, take a look at where Dance Monkey has made it to on international charts. Can you find another Australian artist who is a current chart success that covers the younger end of the audience, since Paul Kelly is clearly for the older end.

80d7782cf7.png

Look, we old farts just have to accept the fact that the kitten with a cold vocal is popular these days. Tones was ok but the ‘Kids are Coming’ song reminded me of ‘The Saints are Coming’ promo song of a few years back.

Lewis is a real musician but thats irrelevant when setting a party atmosphere. Not suitable.

Kelly was just Kelly. A solid performer who very few hate but you don’t have to love him in order to sing along with songs like ‘Dumb Things’ that were absolutely thrashed years ago and even now on Gold. Yep, I caught myself singing along and I don’t even like it or him.

As for those lobbying for ‘Dad Rock’, you could be on the money. A collaboration between the old and the newish doing a medley as one act should get the G pumping while those who prefer something sombre complain about the noise.

The AFL has the unenviable task of finding someone and something different every year. Don’t know if the bean counters want to part with the cash to do it properly.

So a band that has no current songs in the Top 40, wouldn't be familiar to many (any) people under 25, and performed at the GF only 3 years ago? Sounds like old man yelling at cloud to me. I'm sorry you don't want people under 25 to enjoy the pre-game music, but surely you can just close your ears for 10 minutes until the next act is on, and end the football game to follow. There's few viable options that will make the majority happy.

Tones & I was a perfectly sensible choice for the younger audience, take a look at where Dance Monkey has made it to on international charts. Can you find another Australian artist who is a current chart success that covers the younger end of the audience, since Paul Kelly is clearly for the older end.

80d7782cf7.png

Seriously? That's your justification for having that pathetic shyte stink up the pre-game entertainment?

A near endless list of garbage has made the top of the charts in various music markets around the world. People like you seem to confuse talent with chart success. Success which is quite often the result of some very slick marketing. Dance Monkey is little more than a novelty song.

Thank f*** we didn't have Gangnam Style, Barbie Girl or Crazy Frog inflicted upon us when all the gullible kiddies were spending mum and dad's money on that in years gone by. Tones and I is in the same boat.

There are plenty of brilliant artists around who can cater to a vast range of tastes and ages. The Killers was a high point and granted they are a genuine world class band, but there are others. Idiotboy McLachlan has to stop relying on his daughter's iPod for inspiration. He really should have learned his lesson after Ellie Goulding failed to correctly mime her over-produced tripe a few years ago.

Seriously? That's your justification for having that pathetic s**t stink up the pre-game entertainment?

A near endless list of garbage has made the top of the charts in various music markets around the world. People like you seem to confuse talent with chart success. Success which is quite often the result of some very slick marketing. Dance Monkey is little more than a novelty song.

Thank f*** we didn't have Gangnam Style, Barbie Girl or Crazy Frog inflicted upon us when all the gullible kiddies were spending mum and dad's money on that in years gone by. Tones and I is in the same boat.

There are plenty of brilliant artists around who can cater to a vast range of tastes and ages. The Killers was a high point and granted they are a genuine world class band, but there are others. Idiotboy McLachlan has to stop relying on his daughter's iPod for inspiration. He really should have learned his lesson after Ellie Goulding failed to correctly mime her over-produced tripe a few years ago.

Again; find a better qualified local artist to cater to the Under 25 demographic?

People are happy to swing their dicks around about this about how clever they are, yet we have a legitimately popular Australian artist that seems to have upset the older generation because they don't like her music, yet everyone who's under 25 seemed pretty happy with her given the limitations of the venue. Sounds fine to me.

There's almost no one the AFL can drag in that will appease everyone without spending huge dollars on the entertainment (which they clearly don't want to do). So instead we get a mix of stuff suitable for the younger and older people who are there. Play On.

We get it, you don't like her music, but seems plenty of other people do and the AFL have actually done well to cater for a range of tastes this year.

I agree The Killers is a high point thus far, but if they aren't going to drag in someone like that then I think they've done just fine this year, everyone is slightly unhappy but walked around enjoying one of the artists.

McLachlan does plenty of stupid things to criticise him for, this really isn't one of them.

Again; find a better qualified local artist to cater to the Under 25 demographic?

People are happy to swing their dicks around about this about how clever they are, yet we have a legitimately popular Australian artist that seems to have upset the older generation because they don't like her music, yet everyone who's under 25 seemed pretty happy with her given the limitations of the venue. Sounds fine to me.

There's almost no one the AFL can drag in that will appease everyone without spending huge dollars on the entertainment (which they clearly don't want to do). So instead we get a mix of stuff suitable for the younger and older people who are there. Play On.

We get it, you don't like her music, but seems plenty of other people do and the AFL have actually done well to cater for a range of tastes this year.

I agree The Killers is a high point thus far, but if they aren't going to drag in someone like that then I think they've done just fine this year, everyone is slightly unhappy but walked around enjoying one of the artists.

McLachlan does plenty of stupid things to criticise him for, this really isn't one of them.
And not forgetting that she writes her own songs, plays keyboard and works a loop board like the best. A bit of research might help people see how songs like this don’t just come out of nowhere (Ps. Fun fact: after the success of Johnny Run Away, her record company told her not to get her hopes up for Dance Monkey as a single - a song she wrote for the crowd to dance to when she played to at the hostel in Byron - and it took off. She had the biggest opening crowd ever at Splendour In The Grass this year 👍🏼) The Kids are Coming is gonna be a hit, especially with the current events happening in the world. And I can recommend the video for Dance Monkey for a bit of a giggle. Onwards and upwards peeps!

Look I don’t like the Tones & I genre of music but my girlfriend does and she wanted to watch the performance despite having no interest in the AFL. And the AFL have to cater for so many different age groups, so it made sense there.

But I will never understand the love for Paul Kelly. The guy puts me to sleep.

I suppose part of the problem is that live music at pub level, where most young artists have cut their teeth in years past is dying a slow and painful death.

I just resent the whole idea that chart success = worthy live performer at major event. It doesn't. Having a couple of hit singles doesn't mean you are cut out to perform live in front of 100,000 people and millions on TV. And the rent-a-crowd thing is laughable and doesn't help the artist generate any energy at all.

Dosent Change the fact it sucked a bag of donkey utensil my friend.

Seriously? That's your justification for having that pathetic s**t stink up the pre-game entertainment?

It charts, must be good! lol.
Righto then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back