Grand Final for the People

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 25, 2006
East of Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If I was in charge, the Grand Final would be for the people only.

Members would get first dibs on the tickets. Obviously if clubs had more members than tickets, interest would need to be be expressed, initially, then a ballot for clubs based on a pro rata system. A club with 60,000 members would be given more tickets than a club with 55,000 members. All left over tickets would then go into a public ballot.

All sponsors boards would be cleaned away and people could hang banners over the edge like times of old. Throwing of torn paper and streamers would be allowed and encouraged. Some of my fondest memories of grand finals from the past were of seeing the paper flittering to the ground. It added so much to what is a great day.

No advertising, other than on television.

I know what you all think: Without sponsors the day wouldnt happen. Thats just crap. People make the footy, not sponsors.

Its high time that the biggest day of the year was given back to the people. Sponsors get all the exposure they need throughout the season. Its not as if there is a single person over the age of 10 on Earth, let alone Australia, that dont know who the hell, Toyota is.

They can all go for their lives until Grand Final Weekend. Only club sponsors allowed.

AFL Live sites around the country, not just at Fed square or the tennis centre. Im talking major rural cities and all. Everyone should be able to enjoy the day, all around the country.

If I was in charge, the Grand Final would be for the people only.

Members would get first dibs on the tickets. Obviously if clubs had more members than tickets, interest would need to be be expressed, initially, then a ballot for clubs based on a pro rata system. A club with 60,000 members would be given more tickets than a club with 55,000 members. All left over tickets would then go into a public ballot.

All sponsors boards would be cleaned away and people could hang banners over the edge like times of old. Throwing of torn paper and streamers would be allowed and encouraged. Some of my fondest memories of grand finals from the past were of seeing the paper flittering to the ground. It added so much to what is a great day.

No advertising, other than on television.

I know what you all think: Without sponsors the day wouldnt happen. Thats just crap. People make the footy, not sponsors.

Its high time that the biggest day of the year was given back to the people. Sponsors get all the exposure they need throughout the season. Its not as if there is a single person over the age of 10 on Earth, let alone Australia, that dont know who the hell, Toyota is.

They can all go for their lives until Grand Final Weekend. Only club sponsors allowed.

AFL Live sites around the country, not just at Fed square or the tennis centre. Im talking major rural cities and all. Everyone should be able to enjoy the day, all around the country.

You'd have to charge $600-800 a ticket to make up the shortfall from not having tickets available to corporates and ALF members and the Mcc would still wanta its 25k seats.

Considering you can get a package for around $800 its wouldn't make any difference.

The shortfall for what?

The money is already made throughout the year.

The idea is that the people get to go to support their teams. You dont charge through the roof for that. And as for the MCC. They also get to attend throughtout the season whenever they want. Grand final day is for the people.

In any case, this is what I would do if I were in charge...lol You dont have to put up obstacles. My idea assumes that all things are considered equally.

The shortfall for what?

The idea is that the people get to go to support their teams. You dont charge through the roof for that. And as for the MCC. They also get to attend throughtout the season whenever they want. Grand final day is for the people.

In any case, this is what I would do if I were in charge...lol You dont have to put up obstacles. My idea assumes that all things are considered equally.

There will be people who lose their jobs, less money for the game to develop the code and in the end the players will get less of an increase in payments each year.

It would be suicide management to alienate your sponsors and reduce your revenue stream by a significant amount.

You could follow NRL. Easy to buy a ticket for their grand final so I hear.

Chris, I think you miss the point of this forum.

Of course there are mitigating factors that would make a move such as this foolish, business-wise.

This is what I would love to do, should all things be considered equal.

Of course there are mitigating factors that would make a move such as this foolish, business-wise.

I'd love to ride a unicorn to every grandfinal where i would watch the Eagles smash teams.

But jokes aside, the advertising doesn't bother me, the grandfinal, while being an experience for the 90,000 who get to attend is watched by many millions more, and if the cost of that is advertising and so forth so be it.

The whole competition should be for the people.

You'd have to charge $600-800 a ticket to make up the shortfall from not having tickets available to corporates and ALF members and the Mcc would still wanta its 25k seats.

Considering you can get a package for around $800 its wouldn't make any difference.

where?

What exactly is the point? Aside from you giving a normative statement of what you would like to do.

It's not happening and will never happen. The Grand Final for the people can be found by attending the VFL, SANFL, WAFL or any number of local leagues where you can enter for a tiny amount and stand virtually no chance of being denied a ticket.

You could make 50,000 to be shared equally between the competing clubs

(sorry collingwood your 3 game packages which are 2 games packaged with anzac day count for zip)

Use the TV money to compensate the clubs for losing 90% of their allocation

It IS the biggest shame in the AFL

Putting into consideration that the MCC wants 25,000 seats the allocation should be 35,000 for each club and other 5,000 for corporate and General Public.

Its ridiculous that members of non-competiting teams get allocated 10,000 tickets.

1. The MCC own(?) the G. Can't reduce their allocation.
2. One of the draw cards for sponsors is GF tickets. It's both a business advantage to take your biggest clients to the game, as well as a prestige thing. Given the massive $$$ for instance Toyota pumps into the game to deny them tickets for it is ridiculous.
3. All clubs contribute to the build up to the GF by playing 22 games and in some cases finals. Why shouldn't they get their share of the pie?
4. Pro-rata ticket allocation? You're only suggesting that because you support Collingwood. To be completely fair the allocation should be 50/50 as both teams go into the game as equals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3. All clubs contribute to the build up to the GF by playing 22 games and in some cases finals. Why shouldn't they get their share of the pie?

They shouldn't. Would you as a Richmond fan rather go to this years GF or the next one Richmond competes in. Members of non-competiting clubs should get an allocation of 0.

The shortfall for what?

Pretty sure the members of the MCC are people. They also pay significantly more than 95% of club members, why should they get barred for some bloke who bought a 3 game membership when they cough out upwards of $500 and make the effort to go and see their team regularly.

You say it's 'for the people', what you really mean is 'for the bandwagoners'. Note Collingwood didn't have 70k of members when it wasn't winning GFs, it still had the same percentage of supporters in the MCC though.

A better way to do it would be to ensure MCC members who supported one of the clubs participating got absolute preference, although I doubt many MCC supporters have missed out on seeing their team play. If they did, it's their own fault really.

You could make 50,000 to be shared equally between the competing clubs

(sorry collingwood your 3 game packages which are 2 games packaged with anzac day count for zip)

Use the TV money to compensate the clubs for losing 90% of their allocation

It IS the biggest scam in the AFL

efa.

I see Juddy all over the AFL site.

I think Greedy D. wants a Pies/Blues granny.

He has dribbled on his shirt thinking of the money 2 trad rivals in a GF could generate.

Not sure how you missed it, but there was a grand final for the people last year.

7000 seats went without a butt on them.

I always thought that the fact that competiting club members getting 26k each was a disgrace BUT today I just found out that there are only 7k each that gets allocated to competing club members in the NRL Grand Final.

Edit: It is also worth noting that some NRL clubs only have 5,000 members.

They shouldn't. Would you as a Richmond fan rather go to this years GF or the next one Richmond competes in. Members of non-competiting clubs should get an allocation of 0.
Correct. Every year you see fans who have lined up for hours to see there team play not get a ticket despite having a membership. It's heartbreaking. Only competing club members and mcc members should be allocated tickets.

Correct. Every year you see fans who have lined up for hours to see there team play not get a ticket despite having a membership. It's heartbreaking. Only competing club members and mcc members should be allocated tickets.

*MCC members who support one of the competing clubs.

I always thought that the fact that competiting club members getting 26k each was a disgrace BUT today I just found out that there are only 7k each that gets allocated to competing club members in the NRL Grand Final.

Edit: It is also worth noting that some NRL clubs only have 5,000 members.

Irrelevant.

You can buy NRL tickets on the Thursday before the grand final no worries. One of my mates is a die-hard Souths supporter, never owned a membership, hasn't missed a grand final for ten years and has only ever paid face-value for the ticket from an authorised on-seller.

It really is apples and oranges in this case.

got no problem with the advertisment or anything like that.

but i would like to see a significant increase go to the clubs who participate.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afls-grand-hike/story-e6frf9jf-1225884019355

For last year's Geelong-St Kilda epic, 25,000 went to members of competing clubs, 22,500 to MCC members, 16,000 to corporates, 21,500 to AFL members, 5000 to Medallion Club members, 1300 to listed AFL players, 7500 to AFL sponsors and 1000 to the AFL family, including life members and Hall of Famers.

i would like to see another 10k to competing members, and cut 8k from corporates and 2k from afl sponsors.

can't really cut any from mcc, afl and medallion members as they are like competing clubs members who are paid up each year and are passionate afl supporters themselves.

is there not 14k tickets from non competing clubs or is that the corporate tickets??

Do we really need to give the AFL listed players 1300 tickets or is that part of the CBA?

Think it should be.....

22.5K MCC (fixed)
25K AFL Members/Medallion Club (integrate Medallion Club into AFL Membership)
5.5K Corporates
5K Sponsors
2K AFL Family (including current players)
40K Members of competing clubs (20K Per Club, of which 5K has to be set aside for non-social club members)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back