Grand final location

Remove this Banner Ad

FreeAgent1

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
This is not having a go at the MCG or saying there is an advantage for VIC teams or the like.

I just wanted to know thoughts on interstate grand-finals when both teams contesting finals are from the same city.

This wasn't an issue when the MCG grand final deal was signed but not there is a real possibility of WCE v Freo, or in the futute GC v Lions, Syd v GWs and Crows v Port.

For me the Grand final its the best day of footy you can go to, and the more fans of the teams playing who can attend the event make the day better. (note: i dont really think a comment of "real fans will travel" adds to this discussion, I have been to two GF, but for example I dont consider myself a better supporter than a 65 year old retiree who has difficulty travelling! and could otherwise attend!)

Does anyone think this/or an alternative will be considered?

What other ground holds 100k people?

That's your answer
Don't see superbowl or champions league being played in the same stadium year after year. Yes there needs to be a minimum capacity to host it there but that capacity should be 60-70k.

More an issue of stadium suitability than tradition.

No other stadium is fit for the job. If every state had a 100,000 seat oval stadium then maybe.

Same reason the FA Cup final is always played at Wembley.
No it's always held there because that's tradition, same as German Cup final always held in Berlin.

This is not having a go at the MCG or saying there is an advantage for VIC teams or the like.

I just wanted to know thoughts on interstate grand-finals when both teams contesting finals are from the same city.

This wasn't an issue when the MCG grand final deal was signed but not there is a real possibility of WCE v Freo, or in the futute GC v Lions, Syd v GWs and Crows v Port.

For me the Grand final its the best day of footy you can go to, and the more fans of the teams playing who can attend the event make the day better. (note: i dont really think a comment of "real fans will travel" adds to this discussion, I have been to two GF, but for example I dont consider myself a better supporter than a 65 year old retiree who has difficulty travelling! and could otherwise attend!)

NO! I reckon the Grand Final will be just as good this year if not better if Fremantle play West Coast at the MCG.

The search function is your friend don't be afraid to use it, it wont bite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me the Grand final its the best day of footy you can go to, and the more fans of the teams playing who can attend the event make the day better
not sure on the exact numbers this year but usually there has been between 13500-20000 tickets per team for supporters. Whenever a non Victorian team has made the grand final these tickets have always sold out.

It's obviously an advantage for Vic clubs, but unless you're just going to have a set in stone rotation you can't do it any other way. You definitely can't choose the location based on who's playing - the logistics of organising it in one week would be practically impossible without changing the very nature of the Grand Final 'event'.

Don't see superbowl or champions league being played in the same stadium year after year. Yes there needs to be a minimum capacity to host it there but that capacity should be 60-70k.
So reduce the crown by 30k as well as break tradition?

I don't see any logic in that.

If the gf was in Perth there were be no fans there as all tickets would go to corporates. Mcg maximises the fans no matter who is playing.

So reduce the crown by 30k as well as break tradition?

I don't see any logic in that.
Since half the league is of teams outside of Melbourne why should Melbourne teams play at home?

A grand final can't be scheduled on the fly during the season. Superbowls rotate around venues but the location is known years out. If we did that now you could have 2 vic teams having a grand final in Perth, which would obviously be ludicrous

If we had a bunch of 70000+ capacity stadiums (which we don't), then a similar rotation to the NFL would be feasible. But we don't, so until that happens it stays at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back